On road tuning vs dyno tuning

liz@rd

Known Member
Sep 25, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
i had used the search button b4 but cant find something i would love to know ... anyone here can highlight me the 'pro and cons' of the 2 types of tuning ... thanks

Mar 21, 2008
dyno is to fine tune new settings

on-road-tune is to maximize the tuning to match the driver's style and desire

simple as that

dfx16

Known Member
Dec 24, 2006
If given an option between road tune or dyno tune
I would opt for road tune even it might be cheaper than dyno tune
Road tune simulate real time road condition for ex. uphill or etc
But not for dyno tune
Dyno tune is stressful for chasis and AT gearbox as compared

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
If given an option between road tune or dyno tune
I would opt for road tune even it might be cheaper than dyno tune
Road tune simulate real time road condition for ex. uphill or etc
But not for dyno tune
Dyno tune is stressful for chasis and AT gearbox as compared
dyno is to simulate the road driving , but depends how much of load is put on the dyno machine which will tell u the wear and tear

how would it make diffrence if the dyno loads are set just as how u drive on the road, still the AT gearbox will be damaged ? huh how ?

only in malaysia its done that way, cheaper on road, more expensive on dyno , but if u see the overseas market , on road tuning aint cheap :D

dfx16

Known Member
Dec 24, 2006
dyno is to simulate the road driving , but depends how much of load is put on the dyno machine which will tell u the wear and tear

how would it make diffrence if the dyno loads are set just as how u drive on the road, still the AT gearbox will be damaged ? huh how ?

only in malaysia its done that way, cheaper on road, more expensive on dyno , but if u see the overseas market , on road tuning aint cheap :D
You could be right and i could be wrong or via versa
There's no who's right or wrong just diff experience and school of taught
Neither did i say it'll damage AT gearbox but only stress as compared

:biggrin:

TurtleV10

May 19, 2008
www.simplycomplexed.deviantart.com
i think BOTH should be done.

Probably because dyno tuning, the factors (air temperature from the fan as an example) are quite constant.
Road tuning, it's not exactly constant.

Dyno then road? That's what I think lah.

pioneer411

1,000 RPM
hahaha, i easy safety for DYNO because no need at street tune, unless find a nice straight and smooth way, hahaha no matter how, modify car punya AT gear wont tahan lama also... my car just adjust fuel and boost up, the gear box oledi kong 3 biji.. landcruiser:sleep:

Mar 21, 2008
For example, if u setting up a new combinations of; new turbo system + new ECU system + new air intake system + higher profile cams, u CANT tune on road, you need all the intruments on hand, which is inside the workshop, then u tune on dyno.

If no major changes, just minor changes like exhaust piping or openpods airfilter, u may tune on road.

Dyno can never stimulate 100% of the real car, it doesnt know the actualy wieght and drag factor of the chassis, hence the calculations are merely guessing.

Tuning on road, gives the tuner understand what the driver really wants to drive the car, can fully fine-tune piggybacks or standalones ECU.

This is my experience and my own opinions, I learnt all these from all my old uncle tuner frends :biggrin:

dfx16

Known Member
Dec 24, 2006
For example, if u setting up a new combinations of; new turbo system + new ECU system + new air intake system + higher profile cams, u CANT tune on road, you need all the intruments on hand, which is inside the workshop, then u tune on dyno.

If no major changes, just minor changes like exhaust piping or openpods airfilter, u may tune on road.

Dyno can never stimulate 100% of the real car, it doesnt know the actualy wieght and drag factor of the chassis, hence the calculations are merely guessing.

Tuning on road, gives the tuner understand what the driver really wants to drive the car, can fully fine-tune piggybacks or standalones ECU.

This is my experience and my own opinions, I learnt all these from all my old uncle tuner frends :biggrin:
Bro dont get what u mean..
Even with major changes tuner can always start off road tuning via lambda meter and finally ended up fine tuning via dyno machine also with lambda meter on hand
What's your say :confused:

Mar 21, 2008
You're right. But it all depends on the tuner's experience. But sometimes to diagnose new setting, u need dyno, then on road.

Dyno tuning is about $200-400, but on-road tune is minimum $300-500 but tune to near perfection of what customer wants.

Either way, both methods are important.......If possible, tune both method is the best:biggrin:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
I would always do road tune first and then dyno tune so I don't have to waste too much money on dyno time. Most importantly, road tuning simulates real time condition wrt air flow, cooling, drag and other factors which is absent on the dyno. You just use the dyno to fine tune. 95% of the time, I get to save a few hundred dollars of dyno time.

Mar 21, 2008
actually, real road tuning is more expensive than dyno tune laaa.....:hmmmm:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
If someone does it for you... yes it is expensive. If money is an issue... then learn.

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
it depends on which way u got it more handy.. some place dont have dyno then do road tune with wide band sensor and datalogging. it does the job... if u got dyno at your place it then you can go for it... but from what i observe, in fact its related to wat jinkl just mentioned just now is regarding the load factor on the dyno. i noticed that most of the time after tuning a certain afr on the dyno and when i double check on the road run, it appear to run a notch richer.

So it very much depends on your personal preference and the tuner experience on their own dyno machine, to determine which correction factor they target on their tune. and of course on the dyno you wil be much safer to run rather than on the road you risk of being caught for speeding, endangering other motorist or even ended up spending money on towing fees if shit happens halfway..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone outhere using GAB coilover absorber?? can all the sifu outhere give some review about this absorber. im planning to buy this absorber soon, so need to find some info about this absorber.currently im still using stock standard satria gti suspension setup.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience