Noisy at 70km/h and above

heryky

May 3, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So... the car (Toyota Vios '07) has new set of tires (with reasonably latest manufacturing date) recently. The front tires were changed first and it was alright (no noise at high speed). Then, I shifted them to the back to make way for the another new pair in front.

All of them are Continental CC5 and stock size (185/60/R15). The old ones were Bridgestone RE080.

Then... the noise started to become obvious. It is akin to standing in a wind turbine whenever I accelerate to 70km/h and above. I'm suspecting the sound comes from the tires because if the speed is below 60km/h, it is quite silent.

Any thoughts?

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
So... the car (Toyota Vios '07) has new set of tires (with reasonably latest manufacturing date) recently. The front tires were changed first and it was alright (no noise at high speed). Then, I shifted them to the back to make way for the another new pair in front.

All of them are Continental CC5 and stock size (185/60/R15). The old ones were Bridgestone RE080.

Then... the noise started to become obvious. It is akin to standing in a wind turbine whenever I accelerate to 70km/h and above. I'm suspecting the sound comes from the tires because if the speed is below 60km/h, it is quite silent.

Any thoughts?
u sure is tires sound or door/windows seal sound ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
u sure is tires sound or door/windows seal sound ?
Wind turbine noise la taiko g88. Nothing to do with seals liao.

heryky : Have you checked the wear of the new tyres? I assume camber, alignment, etc are all good? RE080 to CC5 is kinda extreme. CC5 tyres are somewhat... meh.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
RE-080 even though is from BS Potenza range but this one special made for OE fitment and label Sports performance with ride comfort, do you think is good in performance?....:hmmmm:

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
does the sound like those army trucks @ high speed, if it does usually the tyres, have u checked the tyre rotation is it correct, have u tried to swapping those tyres vice versa. previously I used simex tyres & it gives those army truck sound until I changed to powerblitz the sound is no more. using NCT5 front & Roadstone rear now & no sound oso.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
does the sound like those army trucks @ high speed, if it does usually the tyres, have u checked the tyre rotation is it correct, have u tried to swapping those tyres vice versa. previously I used simex tyres & it gives those army truck sound until I changed to powerblitz the sound is no more. using NCT5 front & Roadstone rear now & no sound oso.
Yup, can be tyre uneven wear or even wheel bearings then....

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
usually if above 80kmh should be your wheel bearings.
by jacking your car, turn your wheel manually & u will identify the problem or ask your foreman to do it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We reported recently that Tony Fernandes has acquired British sportscar manufacturer Caterham. The Team Lotus principal did so by buying out Caterham’s previous owners, Corven Ventures, and was listed as a director of Caterham on 12 April. Nonetheless, Fernandes elected to keep Caterham’s current Managing Director, Ansar Ali, at the helm...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience