newbie who has done research needs help

amirrizwan

Feb 3, 2006
hi guys,
i drive a 2006 honda city and am already tired with the sound system in my car.
i have a pair of kenwood 6 x 9 lying around and thinking of upgrading my system. my budget is around 1.2K which im willing to increase if absolutely necessary.

as im very much into hip hop, rnb and rock, i was thinking of adding a monoblock amp as well as a sub. considering that im absolutely new to I.C.E, i visited a couple of shops including eneos in OU and brothers.

eneos recommended that i get magnat amp with a 10" pioneer sub. i havent actually tested them out but i could easily get the combo for 1100 which includes cables and sub enclosure. i will then of course replace the rear speakers with theavailable 6 x9 but i read somewhere in the forum that mixing 6 x9 s and a sub is not advisable.

i would like to ask the opinion of the experts here whether i should go with eneos' suggestion.

and if possible, could the bros here recommend a good combo of sub and amp that will fit my budget. i need thumping solid bass without the need of waking up th neighbours. gotta impress the chicks in the car la kan. :) ive been looking around and the alpine f345 and pioneer 12" sub seem like a reasonable choice.

and oh yeah.. would i have to change the car battery?

sorry for the longwinded story and thanks for any repliessss.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
is the pioneer sub dvc? if it is SVC (single voice coil) better to get a 2ch amp and bridge it. if it is double voice coil, the alpine can give u 400W @ 2ohm which would be just nice for a sub. btw, didnt know that amp is already in our market, just launched in US only.

yes its advisable to avoid 6x9 if u are installing a sub, to avoid cancellation of the same bass frequencies.
no, u dont need to change your battery, unless its already old & tired....

Last edited:

amirrizwan

Feb 3, 2006
thanks zenn for ur reply,
im not sure whether the pioneer sub is an svc or dvc. the salesman did mention that a bridged 2 channel amp is cheaper than a monoblock. i suppose i will get an svc sub.
didnt realize that the alpine m450 just came out in the US. wut other comparable models are in the malaysian market?

and if it isnt too much of a hassle, can anyone list down a few combos of 2 channel amps + 12"/10" subs that will fit my budget? im leaning towards alpine coz i like the sound of the brand :) but any other equivalent brands will do i guess.

i magnat good btw? its not cap ayam is it?

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
The 6 X 9 you can use it back but have to add a capacitor to reduce the bass, so that you can make full use of the sub. Is better that you get a 12" sub rather than 10" sub as your car trunk is big, if you get a 10" sub sure you will regret later. For the combination of sub and amp I will choose a 12" SVC RDS sub, amp I not that sure as I using a second hand Lightning Audio to push it...

amirrizwan

Feb 3, 2006
yeah, ill try to steer clear of magnat amps. my immediate budget is 1.2K but i could push to 1.5K and even 2K if i wait for another month.
i dont wanna spend money on capacitors though just to use the 6 X 9. so perhaps ill just stick with stock HU and speakers and and sub and a sub amp. the 6x9 will be donated to makna. :)
that guy actually recommended that i use rogers amp. its 1200 W at RM 500 and said that a lot of ppl use it to whack 2 12" subs.
anyway, any of u guys know where to get the cheapest alpine amp in the market. someone mentioned kuala selangor but i havent checked the shop out yet. preferably in the kl/pj area.

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Aiyah, you get the capacitor meaning wrong already. This cap is not put for the power supply to your amps that cost atleast rm400, is put before your speakers and only cost rm1 per pair.

siong

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
i also getting mine... but too busy to get... what shud i tell shop keeper on my cap?

amirrizwan

Feb 3, 2006
sorry kyheng. i thought u meant the power bank capacitor which ive seen pictures of in this forum.
what should i tell the mechanic about the type of cap i should put for the 6x9s? i dont want them to get confused.
my only reservation about replacing the rear speakers with the 6x9s is that they'll have to cut the metal to fit the speakers in and considering its a new car.... not too happy about it. FYI the stock rear speakers are kenwoods and rated 20W which begs to be changed immediately. i guess ill just have to stomach it.
:confused_smile:

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
forget about the 6x9 and cap, just start looking for a sub & 2 ch amp, much much better....

for 2k it would roughly be divided into RM800 sub, RM200 sealed box and RM1k 2ch amp. should be enuff for alpine type R and amp.

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
So your Honda City cannot fit a 6 X 9 on behind, then is better that you forget about it if you will get sad if they modify the speaker holder. You can put a 6.5" speakers but sure somebody in this forum will say this is no good as 6.5" is put on front for good sound stage. I don't know about this much as my 6.5" also put on rear with front is 4" below dashboard(wira). I have ask some shop already, they can cut hole on my front door but no one can assure me that it will not cause my screws to loose after some time. I like to listen to techno music. Last time I have encounter the speaker that put on door and cause the door got loose screw sound. So this is still back to our preference.

Anyway the cap is sold on eletronic shop only and cost rm0.50 - 1 only, as accessories shop don't know how to make use of this small cap, if have also they will cut your throat. Some speakers also come with this cap. So far I see the speakers that using it is Lightning Audio 4" speakers.

amirrizwan

Feb 3, 2006
alrite.
i think im gonna put the idea of a subamp and sub on hold first.

im gonna get an alpine mrv-f345 and power the stock speakers until i can get enuff money to get component speakers and a sub. friend coming from USA can get it quite cheaply.
my only concern is the 14.4v rating. if im using the standard 12v battery, am i supposed to get a new battery? confused with the voltage rating coz there are 2 voltage ratings, 12v and 14.4v.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/a674.det.MRV-F345_4-3-2-CHANNEL-POWER-AMPLIFIER.htm

wuddya guys think of this amp? i might add a 12" svc pioneer for RM300. think the setup is decent?

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
If say at 14.4v it can give you 75w rms, then at 12v it will give less than 75w. Not much problem on this. Since your friend coming back from US, why not ask him to buy other brand? Anyway most of the US brands like RF, LA is made in China. Anyway what is the price for the amp? In USD or rm?
So will you add an amp and sub later on? If yes since you are going to add this 4 channel amp, is better that you lay the cable for your subamp and RCA cable also. You don't want to undress your car so many times mah.. So next time when you going to add sub, then it will very easy..
Pioneer sub I never use before, but I don't think it is powerful enough, still have to check the rms power and max power, normally it should be max = rmsX2. Some sub rms is low and the max is high, these type of sub very fast will damage if power on maximum all the time...

siong

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
sorry guys... how much does alpine 9812RD cost?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

I own a CRZ and at the bottom of the front windshield, there a part that always collect water.
And I am not sure if its due to rain water or tap water collecting there. Here's a pic.

Any way i can try to remove it?

Ive tried glass cleaner and elbow grease, but doesnt seem to work at all. Am afraid it might be permenantly marked.

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience