need help, ST 20v auto cannot change gear..

zerostar78

May 29, 2006
miri/sarawak
hi all toyotarian..

the car actually belong to my little brother, its in running condition but the auto gear cannot change to 2nd, 3rd n 4th gear, its stick on 1st gear no matter how hard u step on the pedal......FYI, dis probs started to happen on ramadhan, after went to couple of workshop n all of them suggest that the gearbox had worn, so we did a search n bought a recond gb. after the swap has been made the recond gb running in good condition.. lucky!!!(but the O.D didnt work though)

After a month, exactly 8 days ago, the same probs start again:banghead:...walao..is the recond gb worn again?:confused: these days gb not so cheap n not to mention in sarawak...i did bring the car to the previous worksop dat do the gb swap, according to him the gb is rosak again..hishh...this is insane!!! today i bring another mech n he saying dat the ECU n air flow sensor is rosak, i cant confirm his words coz i dun have a spare as my car (also ST auto) is at another place right nw)

so, for the mean meanwhile, need advise from all sifu's n master's of toyota about dis probs..

thanks in advance!!!:driver:cheers...

E6XLancer

Known Member
May 2, 2010
1 Malaysia
you only worn yours A/T gbox at the first time...why 2nd mech saying your A/F meter worn too...
general inspections or how...:biggrin:

SilentSeeker

Jun 20, 2010
Kuching
In my case last time, its the gb problem, probly dead. It won't shift to other gears other than L, then when i pushed it to N, i still keep going, unless i shift it to P. Bought a recon gb dump in and working properly.

Jus wondering the recon you mention is recon, or second hand? Maybe its another wicked mechanic trying to con ur $$. NO warrantys provided? i got mine with 1 month warranty from installation date. Jus my 2 cents.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Sticky AT gearboxes usually happens when the wrong ATF fluid is used constantly and eventually something breaks.

I would suggest you flush the fluid, change the filter and try again. And go to another mechanic to do it if you don't know how to DIY. I wouldn't trust this money sucking mech who said it spoilt "again". These gearboxes were made almost bulletproof assuming the engine is stock and not modified. The only real way to kill it is to use the wrong fluid.

zerostar78

May 29, 2006
miri/sarawak
but in my case, the gear lever can be shift, just dat when it run, its doesn't change to lower gear which it suppose to do.. the gb i bought is from a chop shop, they oni giv a week warranty..so sien...

thanks for sharing bro...

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Sticky AT gearboxes usually happens when the wrong ATF fluid is used constantly and eventually something breaks.

I would suggest you flush the fluid, change the filter and try again. And go to another mechanic to do it if you don't know how to DIY. I wouldn't trust this money sucking mech who said it spoilt "again". These gearboxes were made almost bulletproof assuming the engine is stock and not modified. The only real way to kill it is to use the wrong fluid.
will do. Thanks bro for sharing. btw, which AT fluid u r using? coz i'm using the ori toyota which cost around rm80..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
will do. Thanks bro for sharing. btw, which AT fluid u r using? coz i'm using the ori toyota which cost around rm80..
I'm not driving a toyota :biggrin:

Is the ST 20V supposed to use Toyota type-IV or type-III or Dexron III or SPIII? All are different.

SilentSeeker

Jun 20, 2010
Kuching
For me i use the ori ATF, Black can with white and red writings and diagrams. Supposed to be the type-IV if not mistaken.

Ah, from the chop shop, then its not really "re-conditioned". Like bro Izso said, try flushing the fluid. One more thing to take notice is the line that connects to your throttle control thing, the one that pulls the throttle body part as well as the gear box part, check if its properly adjusted. I don know what to call that part. Its highlight in red in the picture i attached.

Attachments

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
For me i use the ori ATF, Black can with white and red writings and diagrams. Supposed to be the type-IV if not mistaken.

Ah, from the chop shop, then its not really "re-conditioned". Like bro Izso said, try flushing the fluid. One more thing to take notice is the line that connects to your throttle control thing, the one that pulls the throttle body part as well as the gear box part, check if its properly adjusted. I don know what to call that part. Its highlight in red in the picture i attached.
AT kickdown cable

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
I'm also having almost the same problem with my BT auto. The weird part is when I'm driving it at below 7k rpm, everything is fine; it shifts every gear nicely. It only gets stuck from 3rd to 4th when I redlines it. It'll stick to the 3rd until rev cuts but if I ease the throttle a little, it'll shift into 4th but when it reaches above 7k rpm again, it kicks down back to 3rd by itself & holds till rev cuts !

ATF changed, additives added,etc....verdict = g/box konk but since it's still running nicely at normal speeds & my wife is the one using it as a school bus most of the time, will be using till it really gives up completely.

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Thanks for letting me know bro. :)
Yes, check the kick down cable. I'm using 4AFE btw and I had this problem before for a few months. If you send for service, sometimes they will take it out of the holder to replace air filter n forgot to fix it back. If they fixed it back, sometimes they didnt put it at the original position/tension.

The problem with mine was the cable cover near the gearbox was torn and because of that a part of it got stuck at the sides of the hole and so the cable did not go in fully when pedal is depressed. Adjusted a bit and a cable tie did the trick :P

All the best!

Last edited:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi bro!!!, i m new here!!!. i need some advise from all the pros. i m driving a toyota le ae 84. i am planning to change my engine. Can you all recommend what is the most suitable engine for my car? where can i get it? how much it will cost for the engine and for the transplant?

p/s : i will appreciate if you all can reply asap, because i m planning to change the engine this month, my current engine koyak ready lo, cant drive anymore.
thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience