Need Help on Engine idling problem and low oil pressure

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
Hi Guys,
I have totally rebuilt my engine but now I'm facing this two problems. The rpm drops too low and like got problem getting stable for a while after I rev the engine. Sometimes the engine die off, sometimes takes some time then stabalise. I've been told the distance between the airflow sensor to the turbine has to be further. Can anyone advise? The other problem is the oil indicator lights up after engine has warmed up and engine speeds drop below 900RPM. I've replaced the oil pump with a brand new one but still has this problem. I've checked all the oil ducts, no blockage. Funny thing is when cold start the indicator doesn't light up. My mech and I are really stumped, please help.

Oh below is my upgrades..
My Ride: Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo
Upgrades:
1) Ported & Polished Head
2) Evo 8 camshafts
3) New set of aftermarket lifters
4) Works adjustable cam pulley
5) 1.6mm cometic metal gasket
6) 2.4L crankshaft balanced
7) EVO 9 conrods
8) 300ZX 87mm forged pistons
9) ACL bearings
10) New Original oil pump
11) New gearbox overhaul kit
12) New valve body
13) Garrett T04E
14) Tonnka S/S manifold
15) 60mm waste gate
16) 3 inchs ss exhaust system
17) PS digital turbo booster
18) PS sub fuel injector controller
19) Hi Lo Soft Hard adjustables
20) GTO 4 pot brake callipers and rotors
21) HKS air filter
22) 02 nos. 450cc sub injectors
23) All arms and bushings replaced
24) Large Front Mount Intercooler

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
r u using an atmospheric bov now? what was the type prior to these problems?

id check the oil pressure sensor first before doing anything else sir

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
I was using HKS ssqv before this happened. It was still top mount intercooler then. I cahnged the BV toghther with the intercooler and pipings. Now using PS blowoff valve. We did try closing the BV but still idin't work..
Will check the sensor. ?Thanks for input..

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

My mech tried said he tried another sensor still the same...
Anyone with advise?

egiewan

500 RPM
Jul 31, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi there....a friend of mine nearly lost his Evo 7 engine due to the same problem as yours(I think). It was caused by a jammed oil cooler thermostat resulting in a total lost in engine oil pressure. My mech removed it and gave it a good cleaning and removed a spring(the one that opens to circulate the oil around the engine). After doing that, his engine oil pressure was back to normal and weird enough, his oil pressure reading was much more stable! Give it a try. If youre not sure about it, give my mech a call 0123085152-Shahrom. Tell him youre a friend of Izwan who drives a black 7.5 gta haha :-P

CT9A-911

Known Member
Oct 21, 2008
another option is to replace a faulty oil cooler thermostat with the one from Tomei about RM380 ( 2 years ago) . It allows the oil to flow before reaching too high critical temperatures also... currently can be running at 140km/hour with 85 deg C on the oil temp... Idle more stable also....
cheers

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
Thanks for the input guys, will check the thermostat, didn't know there was one... heehee.
Where id it located?

CT9A-911

Known Member
Oct 21, 2008
It's somewhere right next to the oil sump if I'm not mistaken...

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
Hey guys, sorry for my ignorance but I can't figure out which is the oil cooler thermostat. Is it the one together with the oil pump? Cos attached to the oil pump there is a thermostat like device which has a piston and spring. I presume that works like a thermostat? If that's the one then I've changed the whole oil pump assembly. Brand new, could that be faulty or maybe evo and airtrek different which should not be... Help please... Confused liao..:confused::confused:

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
Hey guys, sorry for my ignorance but I can't figure out which is the oil cooler thermostat. Is it the one together with the oil pump? Cos attached to the oil pump there is a thermostat like device which has a piston and spring. I presume that works like a thermostat? If that's the one then I've changed the whole oil pump assembly. Brand new, could that be faulty or maybe evo and airtrek different which should not be... Help please... Confused liao..:confused::confused:
hey.. i'm an airtrek owner as well.. i think u better check ur air fuel sensor.. few airtreks fren have this kind of problem.. or at least try changing the air fuel sensor with another airtrek with good sensor condition.. gud luck

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

brothers..

in need of help..sifus...i wan to install a piggyback...e-manage probably...wanna remove the limiter...one thing i wanna ask..can a 4G18 internals withstand/tahan the high revving..cos now..i noticed the rev cut is at bout 4k++...

thnx guys
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience