Boost leak problem seems unsolveable?

octanepwr

Mar 28, 2015
Wellington
Hi all

I am new to this forum. It seems like a great resource as the Airtrek Turbo is quite rare at least in NZ.

I have had my standard Airtrek Turbo for a while and it had a boost leak when I bought it. I figured it was an easy fix and got it cheap.

First I put some better clamps on the flexible piping on each side of the intercooler and the outlet cold side from the turbo. This did not solve the problem. At one point it felt like it did and then the car misfired instead, so I replaced the plugs with new platinum Bosch type and it went back to this boost leak syndrome. The old plugs were in bad shape anyway.

I have replaced the factory BOV with a Turbosmart plumb back. This did not solve the problem.

Only leak I found while testing with a pressure tester where I pressurised from the turbo side of the intercooler was one of the throttle body slide seals so I replaced the seal on the spring side.
I did not change the throttle slide seal on the throttle position sensor side of the throttle body as it seemed good and tight with no rips. The throttle cable spring side seal was ripped.
I highly doubt that the throttle body slide seal leak could make this much of a hiss anyway!

I pressure tested again after replacement of the one slide seal and found no leaks, yet still have this hiss while driving.
I have no boost gauge unfortunately as car is completely stock aside from the replacement plumb back BOV. I pressure tested to 12psi or so and factory boost I believe is less than this so should have found the problem. I also shook all piping and move the throttle cable while it was at pressure and had no leaks.

See video below!
http://youtu.be/z5CA-GgbAwU

Any ideas to solve this?

Thanks

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Looks like you better fit a boost meter to check it out. It will be more correct....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Turns out I was looking in the wrong place.

Is it possible to weld up the cast manifold?

Big crack by cylinder 1.

Is this a common problem?
Not sure if that can be welded. Whether common problem need air trek owner to comment.
Similar Mitsu engine, my VR4 seems to be common problem. I am on my second set. After my turbine failed, remove and found manifold cracked, so I got a 2nd hand unit fitted until now...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Turns out I was looking in the wrong place.

Is it possible to weld up the cast manifold?

Big crack by cylinder 1.

Is this a common problem?
with that amount of crack...i would say u will be better getting the aftermarket turbo manifold instead of welding that up....afraid it would getting bigger until the manifold worth as scraps...

trustgtr

Jun 18, 2009
cast iron can b welded but probably the cracks formed from inside hence probably give u a releif for a short while. best is to replace it, keep in mind the more you run the car with the leaks your turbo is taking lot of stress.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
This is a common problem. The reason is because during rainy days, our top airscoop opening drips water onto the hot manifold, hence crack is very common.

It can be welded but I heard some say that it will not last. When mine cracked, I upgraded the turbo and got the whole set from Evo 7.

Make sure you have the heatshield on all the time. Getting performance manifold (banana type) will prone to cracks too due to the leak from the airscoop on the hood. So advise to use standard manifold with heatsheild. Good Luck!

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

This was my crack last time.

octanepwr

Mar 28, 2015
Wellington
cast iron can b welded but probably the cracks formed from inside hence probably give u a releif for a short while. best is to replace it, keep in mind the more you run the car with the leaks your turbo is taking lot of stress.
Why does it stress the turbo more?

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

This is a common problem. The reason is because during rainy days, our top airscoop opening drips water onto the hot manifold, hence crack is very common.

It can be welded but I heard some say that it will not last. When mine cracked, I upgraded the turbo and got the whole set from Evo 7.

Make sure you have the heatshield on all the time. Getting performance manifold (banana type) will prone to cracks too due to the leak from the airscoop on the hood. So advise to use standard manifold with heatsheild. Good Luck!

The heatsheild was always on so I doubt it is water through the scoop as the cracked bit is covered by the shield and the only bit exposed is the manifold flanges to the cylinders. Possible though if the drip runs down though.
Replacing with another standard manifold sounds like it will just fail again.
I like td04 for the low torque and not keen on changing turbo and associated costs. I expect there is not many aftermarket non custom manifolds for this turbo?
did yours leak and sound like my video?

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I agree with you that it'll crack again in long run. Just part of wear and tear.

octanepwr

Mar 28, 2015
Wellington
Doe an evo manifold work as a replacement and if so does it have the same cracking problem? I assume I would need new intake pipe and exhaust off the turbo even sticking with td04.

Did yours sound like mine when cracked?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
All will eventually crack..regardless if its evo, aftermarket or original airtrek.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Doe an evo manifold work as a replacement and if so does it have the same cracking problem? I assume I would need new intake pipe and exhaust off the turbo even sticking with td04.

Did yours sound like mine when cracked?
It will crack eventually, just matter of time. ANd you cannot use Evo manifold on TD04. It's different.At least that's what I am aware off. Here a pic with TD05 and it's manifold.

phillipbmx

Jun 29, 2015
NZ
Hi, sorry to bump up an old thread but I have the same issue. Hissing and loss of power at high revs. Was the cracked exhaust manifold the cause of this? Just seems that its a very weird noise for a manifold leak and also mine doesn't do it every time i floor it and I feel a cracked manifold would act in the same manner every time. Its much more common to happen to me when im in lower gears but sometimes 3rd or 4th.
I am still going to check my manifold as this seems to be a common problem.

Cheers

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Hi, sorry to bump up an old thread but I have the same issue. Hissing and loss of power at high revs. Was the cracked exhaust manifold the cause of this? Just seems that its a very weird noise for a manifold leak and also mine doesn't do it every time i floor it and I feel a cracked manifold would act in the same manner every time. Its much more common to happen to me when im in lower gears but sometimes 3rd or 4th.
I am still going to check my manifold as this seems to be a common problem.

Cheers
If the crack is small on the manifold, you'll hear the hissing sound much louder when the engine is cold. When it's warm, it becomes softer as the metal expands and covers the crack better. Yes, it becomes more apparent when your boost is higher. Open up the manifold cover and check. If there's slight hairlines with dark powder like around it, it's most likely the crack. Hopes this help.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi again peeps..

I want to repaint my car to battleship grey metallic. Anyone can share color code or reference to any paint shop that will know such color? or if anyone knows any vinyl wrap shop that carry this color?

appreciate it very much. Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience