Weird Serpentine belt problem.

Salmaan

May 13, 2009
Kisumu, Kenya
Hi guys, was trying to get the serpentine belt on today (Dayco 6PK1795) This belt was new and had run for a few hours on the engine before i had to strip the engine again, came off easily enough. but today for some crazy reason its not going back on wrap it around the pulleys and idlers as per the evo manual, but its shorter by a considerable margin.
I have changed the crankshaft but still use the original crank pulley, other item changed is the small idler pulley that comes between the crank and ac pump. all other pulleys and idlers reused.
I am now thinking of getting a longer drive belt which i cannot get get under any mitsubishi oem size. What i would like to know is has anyone used a serpentine belt longer than 1795mm? If yes what size?

Please advise.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Hi Bro,

A bit confused. You said before this, it wrappped okay and ran for a few hours. But then now, it won't fit in again. Did you change the pulley or was the few hours run in another motor?

Salmaan

May 13, 2009
Kisumu, Kenya
Hi Bro,
I had run it in the same motor, thats the weird bit, with the same pulleys as i am using now, the only part i have changed is the crankshaft (which should not change the "geometry" and one idler the little one.
I even, to eliminate all doubt, measured the serpentine belt and it is 1800mm outer circumference, i tried reinstalling pulling the belt as taut as possible, and it still wouldnt get anywhere close to even get around the crank pulley. LOL i know the belts stretch somewhat, but shrinking (thats why i measured it).
Same Belt that has run on this motor, with same pulleys, belt tensioner is the same old one, large idler same one, little idler is a genuine Mitsubishi OEM part. :banghead:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Wow, this is really weird then. Cos everything is the same and the pulley center location won't shift either. Try to unscrew and remove 1 pulley, fit in the belt before u put back the pulley, will that work?

Or maybe you got the wrong belt? Do you have 2 Serpertine belts in yr garage?

Salmaan

May 13, 2009
Kisumu, Kenya
The belt is alot shorter, so even if i remove a pulley run the belt and then attempt to return the pulley it will not go in, i had sliding the belt over the crank pulley abit then rotating the crank pulley to get the belt on, wouldnt work and starting cutting the belt.
I just have the one belt, the original one i tossed a long time ago as it had worn out, thats when i ordered this one.
A shop here has the 6PK 1880 belt will try that one today, if it fits (hopefully it will as its the longest one they have).but i still cant wrap my head around why the old one cannot fit.it is alot shorter and doesnt even get to the lip of the crank pulley, even after pushing the tensioner all the way back.

If it does fit should be cranking it by this weekend. will post some pics of the engine compartment.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to do 'Double Signal' that will stay on (Front & Rear) with switches to control on/off. And it will still blinks when u use the signal.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience