Need help on details of Evolution 8.

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Guys, i'm in United Kingdom now and was planning to get an Evo.8 or Evo.9 and bring back to Malaysia.
The problems i'm facing here is there are "freaking many" specs of Evo.8/9 and this is confusing me. In UK, the Evo.8/9 is often seperate into many specs like FQ-300, FQ-320, FQ-340.

So the thing confusing me is their website (AutotraderUK) selling their Evo8/9 at different prices and they didnt write down their spec like Malaysia (GSR,RS,MR). They usually write down as FQ-300 or FQ320. So this is confusing me whether the car is GSR , RS or MR ?

I found a few Evo-8 MR FQ-300 that are written manufactured at year 2003. And what worries me is i'm not sure whether it is MR anot and all the spec i saw whether it is written MR or not is 6 speed gearbox.

So my questions is :

1) GSR,RS,MR is all 6 speed gearbox?
2) MR is manufactured in 2004 or 2003? I saw a few MR Evo8 is 2003 in UK.
3) Which FQ is rare in Malaysia?
4) Why i saw some cheap Evo8 with FQ-260? Have this spec in Malaysia? It have a very small spoiler.
5) All i saw EVO8 here with MR or without is also using Enkei 17". MR is using Enkei 17" or BBS 17"?

Hope someone can help me out here. Thanks a lot!

H22-C

500 RPM
Jul 23, 2007
For JDM model:
1) GSR, MR = 6-speed, RS = 5-speed
2) Evo8 MR manufactured in end of 2003 to 2004. However, most Evo8MR in Malaysia is year 2004.
3) i never seen a FQ in Malaysia.
4) now got HKS GTII, plug-n-play turbo up to 450hp; or Tomer M7960. we do not need a FQ anymore.
(original Evo8MR = 280hp, so why FQ-260 ? i am confused.)
5) Evo8MR is using Enkei 17", also optional BBS17" from manufacturer, so you can see both.

Q:
1) how do you decide for Evo8MR and not Evo9 ?

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
hey there. thanks for answering!

i was still thinking either SUBARU or an EVO here.

An Evo 9 is very expensive here and my friend say MR version is very pricey in Malaysia. But in UK they are all seperated into FQ classes. That means they are FQ300 , FQ320 , FQ340 that i mentioned above. I have found many FQ300 MR Evo8 which means it is stock 305hp base on Wikipedia.

So this is the thing confuse me cos in Msia normally they only call it GSR or MR. aikzzzz.
i scared kena tipu by those mat saleh here. Cos the Evo.8 MR i found was 2003 manufactured.

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Okay, i have search through google and already understand the full information about Evo.8 here.

The UK specs of Evo is no direct relationship with the JDM specs.

Basically there are 4 Evo UK Specs which is FQ-260, FQ-300, FQ320, FQ340. (FQ-400 is SE)

The FQ-260 i ask earlier is actually special design for UK. It is manufactured at 2004 and others high specs abov is 2003. Therefore in Malaysia we didnt heard about FQ-260.

If base on performance arrangement it would be like this :

FQ260 (250hp) - GSR (260-280hp) - FQ300 (305hp) and the above range which i'm not interested.

All FQ300 and above is running on 6 speed gearbox even without MR versions.
The FQ-260 is special design in 5 speed gearbox and with a softer suspensions. The different is FQ-260 will have a low spoiler and also not fully semi-bucket recaro. (The ass part is not bucket).

Now it clears my mind about this already. But the thing is if i bring back the FQ-260 which is a lot cheaper here, will malaysia have parts for this engine?

and also i have search for few models FQ-300 MR version. Izit worth to bring it back? This is not the normal GSR MR you see in Malaysia. It is more than 300hp UK spec i guess. I worry the parts will be hard to find as well like the FQ-260. Aw shit.

Johnny_Tan

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
www.facebook.com
as long as is 4G63T.. shouldnt b any problem to gets part in malaysia.. as v hav lotsa evo parts here.. btw. UK spec is right drive or left driver?

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
Guys, i'm in United Kingdom now and was planning to get an Evo.8 or Evo.9 and bring back to Malaysia.
The problems i'm facing here is there are "freaking many" specs of Evo.8/9 and this is confusing me. In UK, the Evo.8/9 is often seperate into many specs like FQ-300, FQ-320, FQ-340.

So the thing confusing me is their website (AutotraderUK) selling their Evo8/9 at different prices and they didnt write down their spec like Malaysia (GSR,RS,MR). They usually write down as FQ-300 or FQ320. So this is confusing me whether the car is GSR , RS or MR ?

I found a few Evo-8 MR FQ-300 that are written manufactured at year 2003. And what worries me is i'm not sure whether it is MR anot and all the spec i saw whether it is written MR or not is 6 speed gearbox.

So my questions is :

1) GSR,RS,MR is all 6 speed gearbox?
2) MR is manufactured in 2004 or 2003? I saw a few MR Evo8 is 2003 in UK.
3) Which FQ is rare in Malaysia?
4) Why i saw some cheap Evo8 with FQ-260? Have this spec in Malaysia? It have a very small spoiler.
5) All i saw EVO8 here with MR or without is also using Enkei 17". MR is using Enkei 17" or BBS 17"?

Hope someone can help me out here. Thanks a lot!
1.)As i said before,EVO VIII and EVO VIII MR is the generation/model.RS and GSR is the trim.This applies to all generation EVO except EVO IX which have a GT trim.What i said applies to JDM Model.UK FQ model always base on GSR model.
Essentially,FQ is the UK model with mod applies after the car come from japan.
2.)MR is released in 2004 so only 2004 Model Year.There are no 2003 model year MR AFAIK.EVO VIII released in 2003,EVO VIII MR in 2004.
3.)Malaysia EVO don't get FQ,we only have JDM EVO.FQ is nothing special,just bunch of mod applies in UK
4.)FQ260 is UK/Europe specific model with detuned engine and some stuff
5.)All EVO VIII only use Enkei wheel stock but can be easily swapped for MR one of course.While EVO VIII MR come with Enkei wheel by default,BBS Wheel is option IINM.Anyway,don't matter much when they can be swapped.
One more way to identify EVO VIII and EVO VIII MR is the colour,rear wing colour and interior as ell
EVO VIII have carbon fibre wing element with body coloured side blade from factory
EVO VIII MR have exposed carbon fibre on entire wing
EVO VIII interior(Apply to GSR)=Blue seat centre with pattern/black side,Blue trim pieces on dash(A/C Vent strip),Steering Wheel with silver center part
EVO VIII MR interior(Apply to GSR)=Alcantara trimmed seat with red RECARO lattering,black stitching(Same as EVO IX GT) and faux carbon fibre trim pieces(A/C Vent strip),Steering Wheel with Black Center part
Also,EVO VIII MR have aluminum roof(Magnet can't stick)
Lastly,colour differences between EVO VIII and EVO VIII MR(Apply to GSR)
EVO VIII=Mica Purple,Silver,Yellow,Red,Black,White
EVO VIII MR=Graphite Grey,Red,White,Silver and not sure on black
Hope this help and happy EVO hunting

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Wow thanks for the clear information EVOFANS! Love it and appreciate it.

So there are many UK traders here are cheating by declaring their 2003 Evo.8 FQ-300 a MR version.

EVOFANS : So in UK FQ-300 Evo.8 doesnt have MR edition rite? only FQ340 comes with MR edition i think because i don't see a FQ-300 Evo.8 that comes with black alcantara recaro. you know which version of UK spec for evo.8 comes with MR? i'm finding for MR version.

and 1 more thing is what i notice on MR version is their seats have the word "ralliart" instead of recaro.

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
beware of the tax and insurance bro, Evo is in Group 20
insurance is pretty hot, you got your uk driving license already right?
own the car for at least 9 months means insurance is essential

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

overall, FIY, Uk evo are slightly different in term of spec

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
I haven confirm with the respective department whether i can get an AP anot. You got experience in it before?

1) I got no problem owning the car for 9 months or more.

2) They say i can declare it off road when i own the car for that 9 months that mean i don't have to pay insurance and i don't drive it. Or i can pay the insurance actually.

3) The only problem left is i'm not sure i can get a "STUDENT AP" anot because my VISA here is 11 months only not 1 year. But as what people tell me, we only need to own the car for 9 months but not 1 year. So i'm kinda confuse hope someone can help me out with experience.

I dont even know who to contact to ask about this matter, all i can do is posting in forums here asking for help. I've been trying to call Malaysia Embassy in UK but no one answer me. As far as i know, you only need to own the car for 9 months and not 1 year.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Oh ya i miss out 1 thing guys, someone told me that the Malaysia Custom/JPJ have to check whether u have own an insurance in UK for 1 year anot. Is this true? It doesnt make sense rite because why they need to check my insurance? As i said i can declare it off road rite?

4) So lets say if they really check insurance, they need it for 1 year or 9 months?

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
Wow thanks for the clear information EVOFANS! Love it and appreciate it.

So there are many UK traders here are cheating by declaring their 2003 Evo.8 FQ-300 a MR version.

EVOFANS : So in UK FQ-300 Evo.8 doesnt have MR edition rite? only FQ340 comes with MR edition i think because i don't see a FQ-300 Evo.8 that comes with black alcantara recaro. you know which version of UK spec for evo.8 comes with MR? i'm finding for MR version.

and 1 more thing is what i notice on MR version is their seats have the word "ralliart" instead of recaro.
As i said MR=2004 Model Year EVO and FQ=UK factory fitted upgrade
So there are both EVO VIII FQ300 and EVO VIII MR FQ300(Not 100% sure on this one through)
FQ or not is not important cause EVO have plenty of upgrade parts
Just ECU Flash/Boost Controller/Turbo Back Exhaust and Fuel Pump can net you 300-330whp already and that translate into 350-380hp crank or so

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
I haven confirm with the respective department whether i can get an AP anot. You got experience in it before?

1) I got no problem owning the car for 9 months or more.

2) They say i can declare it off road when i own the car for that 9 months that mean i don't have to pay insurance and i don't drive it. Or i can pay the insurance actually.

3) The only problem left is i'm not sure i can get a "STUDENT AP" anot because my VISA here is 11 months only not 1 year. But as what people tell me, we only need to own the car for 9 months but not 1 year. So i'm kinda confuse hope someone can help me out with experience.

I dont even know who to contact to ask about this matter, all i can do is posting in forums here asking for help. I've been trying to call Malaysia Embassy in UK but no one answer me. As far as i know, you only need to own the car for 9 months and not 1 year.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Oh ya i miss out 1 thing guys, someone told me that the Malaysia Custom/JPJ have to check whether u have own an insurance in UK for 1 year anot. Is this true? It doesnt make sense rite because why they need to check my insurance? As i said i can declare it off road rite?

4) So lets say if they really check insurance, they need it for 1 year or 9 months?
i not sure they will check or not, but i think you need the 9 months insurance
to be honest, you might as well get it front here, cuz you are paying everything in CASH. When u bring back, you still have to pay tax. Evo 8 in Uk starts from £7k, i think overall if you bring one back, you might just save RM20k?

hint for you insurance in uk, put yourself as second driver since you uk license is new, under 25 (assuming).

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
If i can find the MR models then it could be save a lot rite? I was trying to find Evo.9 as Evo.8 really save a little actually.

Btw, actually i was thinking to get a Subaru V8 Sti which is very cheap here compare to the Evo. But my friend keep on telling me Subaru maintainence and parts is higher price in Msia.
So that makes me go for Evo :(. A Evo.9 here cost around 12k pounds.

You know how much it cost for 21 years old insurance for Group20?

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
without NCB in your record, i guess might somewhere £3-4k, maybe more
go to Car insurance - compare insurance quotes at Gocompare.com UK
fill in your detail, there are several factors
1. age (under 25 cost more)
2. sex (more cost more)
3. Place you stay (if you stay in doggie address, cost more)
4. Where you park your car at night (roadside cost more, garage is cheaper)
5. Which kind of insurance (Full or third party, third party exclude theft, fire etc)
6. Driving experience

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

but share with you something, you might wanna call them up, speak to them via phone to get the best deal.
figure from internet isn't the best they could offer. This is what i don't like about UK things, you always have to call hotline number to get best out of it.

Vox

Known Member
Jul 2, 2008
Hmm i wan ask you. I can own and pay the car insurance for 9 months or more but less than 1 year because my visa is only 11 months. Is ok rite? Not all insurance need 1 year at least rite?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey im pretty new to these engine swaps so please dont go rattling off too much jargon off the bat...
at the moment i have a 1991 Toyota Celica SX 2.2L Auto, and i am wanting to get rid of the ST184-R stock engine. I was considering simply upgrading to the ST185-RT (from the AWD turbo celica), and then i also considered a Holden VN V6 motor. i dont want to spend a fortune for the engine, let alone too many conversion parts. if you have any advice at all id really appreciate it. thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience