My Next Upgrade: Suspension

Which type of suspension you prefer the most?

• Tein HA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tein Super Street

• Tein Flex

• Tein Mono Flex

• GAB SS

• Koni Yellow + Eibach spring

• Aragosta

• Spoon

• Others (please mention)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
Nice review.. Maybe you can lower the rear damping rate to make it more comfortable?
I believe to increase the rear damping rate will be the right phrase to make it more comfortable. Less damper=more stiff=less comfortable. Further lowering the damping rate will make the ride stiffer.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the BR coilover has soft-hard dial on top of the damper to adjust the damping. So by turning the knob to 'soft' means that the damping rate is reduced hence making the ride softer right?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
What a day?? I usually like to stay and see how everything is done. But due to work commitments, I had to leave my car at the workshop and collect it on when it was ready.

I did mention earlier I think that I will be getting the BR series which is 1 series better than the V1 according to the website and my mechanic. I bought it in Singapore and after conversion plus workmanship including whatever tuning and alignment, I paid slightly over RM3k. Not to mention I did my brake upgrades as well and my mechanic gave my a fair discount. Haha. I did ask around a few sellers in KL but they said they need to order BR series as they only have the V1 series. I might have paid more than the price in Malaysia if you can find any. Haha. Does anyone knows what is the price of BR series in Malaysia if you can find any? Some sellers said it will be less than 3k but they themselves weren't very sure.

Ok. So it was 10k front and 6k rear. Car is lowered. Really low compared to my previous DC2R absorbers. Only 1 1/2 fingers. Haha. And the stiffness isn't set too hard according to my mechanic.

1st impression... Got into the car barely 10m at less than 20km/h, I could feel the difference. I don't know the correct terms la but it was like "sticking" to the road. I did the 3 test Izso told me to do. It was nice and again the difference was like heaven and earth if not heaven and hell. Haha. Then I tried a 90 degree turn at about 70km/h. Whoohoo!!! No words to describe. I didn't feel scared at all. It was easy. I liked it immediately. I didn't feel any fear at all. However, to be honest I have not pushed it to the limits yet.

Now, let's talk about the downside as what some would say but not me. I can kiss good bye to the comfort. Even those irritating yellow lines are enough to make your stomach feel odd, again I don't know the word to describe how my stomach feels. Hahaha. It was fine for me though. I think it's a matter of time to get used to it. If I can't, I'll just drive slower on those yellow lines as we are supposed to slow down when we see those lines. Besides that, I also feel that driving on uneven roads isn't what you would like. I don't like it as well. But I think I can live with it.

In a nutshell, for me, the pros are enough for me to not bother about the cons much.

However, I really think that whatever setting has been done is absolutely fine was the front. It's just the rear that is not "good" comfort wise. Only the rear, "hops" on uneven roads. No complaints about the front.

Do you guys think I can do something about it now? I mean by playing with whatever that can be adjusted without changing the spring rates.

try harden your rear damper setting and see if the hopping decrease or not :adore:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
urs should be able to adjust the hardness as well....go play around with the knob as others have mentioned

ur gonna need to fine tune this hardness thing to ur own liking urself...cant count on others to do it for u...coz its YOUR butt...not theirs

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Any update so far? Anyway I think this thread is very useful in helping anyone who wants to upgrade their suspension for daily driven car with great handling. Cheers for thread starter ddv_nk12 :top:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Not much update yet. Haven't really had the time to tune play with anything but I did a lot of driving. It really feels great. Cornering is really nice and easy. Highway cruising is not too bad. The only time I remember I'm using adjustables are when I'm on the bumpy stretch because my gf will tell me that she can't sleep if the car bounces like this. Haha. But I just love how it performs on winding (or is it windy) road.

Now, I might be playing with the knobs tomorrow if I have the time. I remember seeing "SOFT" and "HARD" on the knob which I can turn either way. I want to make sure I don't mess up.

So, please correct me if I'm doing it wrong.

1st, count how many clicks away is to "SOFT". Lets say it is set at 15 clicks from the softest setting.
2nd, since I think it is a bit too hard, I should turn the knob lesser than 15 clicks from the softest setting. Meaning now, it is softer than before as I only turned the knob... say 10 clicks which is nearer to the softest setting.
3rd, if I find it too soft, I turn it towards the "HARD" setting 1 or 2 clicks.

Is this how it is done?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
wat i would do...turn it all the way to soft...and count the clicks along the way... so that u know ur current setting... after that...up to ur judgment...

my old setting was 22 clicks front and 19 clicks rear...gave me good driving on the street,,,, on track...i set hardest front (32clicks) and 29 clicks on the rear

now...its full time softest setting front and rear coz of the baby :D

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Just wanted to update on the suspension I am using.

So far, so good. Cornering wise its superb. Will try it on the track one day. But I am pretty sure it would be great. After using this, I felt like the rear was hopping on uneven roads, but after a few testings, now it's really fine. Love how it handles. Better tyres may produce better handling though. Overall, I am quite happy with it. It's Taiwan made. I was sceptical about it but still gave Taiwan a chance. N it's worth every single penny spent on it.

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Ok. So it was 10k front and 6k rear. Car is lowered. Really low compared to my previous DC2R absorbers. Only 1 1/2 fingers. Haha. And the stiffness isn't set too hard according to my mechanic.
Bro, were you able to choose the spring rates?

I went to Rev Performance Sunway and was told the V1s only come with one spring rate combination from factory.

Cannot see the rate on the box and the spring itself also, unlike Tein Flex.

namakuAriff

Known Member
Jul 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi all..i have read through all the pages n go pening hahaha..!!anyway, i am too looking for the best option for a suspension..

currently im using vios '05..the absorber & spring seems like to give way already since it has never been changed for the past 7 years (bought 2nd hand)..now since im in the market for suspension, i would like to know which brand/model will suits me best..below is my criteria..

currently on 15inch wheel with +20 offset (tyre 195/55)..it dosen't flushed out out the fender, just nice (haven't rolled fender yet)..but going through a bumpy road with 4 adults, there is some rubbing at both front & back..

maximum budget is 3k..but if possible, i want it to be cheap as possible because the extra money i can change the bushing and maybe invest in anti roll bar..(but this can be done @ later stage if the coilover is 3k)

i'll be carrying my family here and there, and both my wife and kid can cope with stiffer ride (but not to hard laa hihi)

this car will not and never be use to layan touge or corner, as i have other car for that

can someone suggest me which suspension would suits me most?as i wanted to leave 2/2 and a half finger fap only @ front & back without rubbing?

let me know if you need more information pertaining to my questions above..thanks!!

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
then stick to stock and get a wheel with better offset would be more beneficial for ur vios me thinks.

n go roll that fender