My dream old junkyard lancer evo engine rebuilt

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
Yeah, extractor wasn't very expensive. A good idea to do it. How about that midbox/bullet thing? Ignore or do it?

Maybe DOHC does make some difference. Izso once written a post about air filter before over here. He did said air filter din't make much difference for his 4G15.

Here it is.
http://zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=445126&page=8

and here

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=439219&page=2
Yeap just get an extractor that is designed decently that can scavenge exhaust pulses from other runner will do. As for midbox depends on how you want the sound to be like lol. Some said placing it further back , close to trunk area will have better power. No idea bout that.

Somehow it feels more torquey without air filter for my car.

Open pod on my 4G91 is sluggish during afternoon due to heat soak, when the weather is cold though the response is very nice hahaha. As for current set up, im using drop in with stock airbox.:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeap just get an extractor that is designed decently that can scavenge exhaust pulses from other runner will do. As for midbox depends on how you want the sound to be like lol. Some said placing it further back , close to trunk area will have better power. No idea bout that.

Somehow it feels more torquey without air filter for my car.

Open pod on my 4G91 is sluggish during afternoon due to heat soak, when the weather is cold though the response is very nice hahaha. As for current set up, im using drop in with stock airbox.:biggrin:
Wouldn't it be even better for exhaust gas flow if there is no mid box?

Maybe I should try another no filter test run again. The last time i tried it, my engine is not operating at its best. I suspect the ignition timing is not correct because ever since a distributor oil leak fix last year, the whole engine feels very different. Torque during low end was much improved although my mechanic told me he only changed the distributor O ring seal. Sifu VR2 said he probably adjusted the timing.

Why did you abandoned the open pod for drop in? Because of heat soak issue?

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
Wouldn't it be even better for exhaust gas flow if there is no mid box?

Maybe I should try another no filter test run again. The last time i tried it, my engine is not operating at its best. I suspect the ignition timing is not correct because ever since a distributor oil leak fix last year, the whole engine feels very different. Torque during low end was much improved although my mechanic told me he only changed the distributor O ring seal. Sifu VR2 said he probably adjusted the timing.

Why did you abandoned the open pod for drop in? Because of heat soak issue?
High flow resonator wouldn't affect much, but again you wouldn't want your car to drone badly right lol.

Yeah, reasonable explanation was the mech corrected the timing during replacement of the oil seal.

My open pod spoiled, so thought of trying something else. Heat soak was one of the reason too.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
High flow resonator wouldn't affect much, but again you wouldn't want your car to drone badly right lol.

Yeah, reasonable explanation was the mech corrected the timing during replacement of the oil seal.

My open pod spoiled, so thought of trying something else. Heat soak was one of the reason too.

I see. The resonator/mid box is there to keep the exhaust sound down as well...

During the days before the timing adjustment, even a Myvi 1.3 manual is faster and more torquey in low RPM than my car. In low RPM, my whole car vibrates badly especially when I am going over speed bump under 1500 rpm.

Power wise, does your open pod and drop in differs in anything?

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
I see. The resonator/mid box is there to keep the exhaust sound down as well...

During the days before the timing adjustment, even a Myvi 1.3 manual is faster and more torquey in low RPM than my car. In low RPM, my whole car vibrates badly especially when I am going over speed bump under 1500 rpm.

Power wise, does your open pod and drop in differs in anything?
Afaik the main idea of resonator is to tone down the exhaust sound that's it.

Don't look down on myvi man, they are pretty quick with decent response from low end too.

The open pod and drop in was on different engine, i can't really tell. Open pod feels more responsive when the weather is cold, drop in feels less sluggish during hot days.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Afaik the main idea of resonator is to tone down the exhaust sound that's it.

Don't look down on myvi man, they are pretty quick with decent response from low end too.

The open pod and drop in was on different engine, i can't really tell. Open pod feels more responsive when the weather is cold, drop in feels less sluggish during hot days.
Is it? Some people come and tell me that the resonator/midbox/bullet thing can improve power. They are referring to a whole stock piping but with added resonator.

Not really looking down on Myvi's power. I have one 1.3 MT at home. Just that now my 4G15 timing had been adjusted, the Myvi no longer felt as powerful as before.

Oh, so the open pod is on 4G91 last time. Now you are on 4G93. DOHC?

1991 CBU model, bought times 9 years old, as 3rd owner. If not mistaken imported as white from Japan.....:biggrin:
9 years of unknown history for your car. :biggrin: You swapped to 4G63T not long after you bought it isn't it?

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Thread hijack alert :driver:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Is it? Some people come and tell me that the resonator/midbox/bullet thing can improve power. They are referring to a whole stock piping but with added resonator.

Not really looking down on Myvi's power. I have one 1.3 MT at home. Just that now my 4G15 timing had been adjusted, the Myvi no longer felt as powerful as before.

9 years of unknown history for your car. :biggrin: You swapped to 4G63T not long after you bought it isn't it?
The bullet thing to cut down noise....nothing inside.
Damn bullet is expensive...
For vtec might improve prangggg without bullet.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The bullet thing to cut down noise....nothing inside.
Damn bullet is expensive...
For vtec might improve prangggg without bullet.
Okay, I think I can ignore that resonator/midbox for now.

You did not align properly, steering went to bro. Renesis path......hhahahhahahhahahah:rofl:
Everyone busy with CNY stuff like going back to hometown, no time to reply here. I'm already at my hometown all the time, so can still go online like usual except when I went out. Only y2188 and me keep replying each other and further went out of alignment. :rofl:

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya

Don't listen to everything what other people said lol some said back pressure are good etc. But why those fellas in the state running 3" exhaust on their vtec and still gain power everywhere throughout the rev range? hahaha :biggrin:

Yeap 93 dohc. nothing special lol

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
IMG_20170208_154354.jpg

All things finally lead to this, lol:stupid:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Today we are working on the brand new Mazda CX-5, already impressed with the looks and all, we are excited as we are going to make her into a mirror! The coating we are using today is a custom formula developed by us over the years of experience in this industry. For more info, you can simply PM, E-mail or Whatsapp to us direct as this is not a sale post but a article featuring this ride's process...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience