Small roadster review by Top Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11FYXy_MCMc&mode=related&search=

AW11 vs ZZ30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBmX4k38A7c

tiff needle on MR-S (BBC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJDVVPmgKCI

Touge showdown TPSZZ30 vs S15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87AV3rakXj4

Honda s2000(NA), Toyota MR-S(NA), Nissan S14(Turbo) and a Nissan S15(Turbo).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-ajn4fG2o

AE86 (Toyota Sprinter Trueno i.e. "Initial D") vs MR-S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II4U04Ual4M

Another AE86 vs MR-S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndv0SYqoIGw

nd4ever

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
KL, PJ & S'ban
www.facebook.com
Enquiries on the MR-S

I'm actually trying to get some advice & feedbacks from MR-S owners here regarding on my friend's MR-S. His MR-S encountered some problems with it after sent in for repairs & servicing. Here's what happened to his car:

-> Significant amount of white smoke coming out when revving the engine
-> Thirsty for engine oil before top overhaul was perform. Need to top up 3 litres of engine oil every 4-5 days.

What have been done to his MR-S by a regular mechanic:

-> Top overhauled with piston rings replaced.
-> Removed the cat-converter
-> Replaced a new set of clutch for the gearbox. It's step-tronic which have clutch disc.

Anyone who can assist my friend in solving the problems stated above? He just cant tolerate the amount of white smoke when revving the engine. Is it bcoz of the cat-converter removal? :shocked:

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
Maybe needing new engine, in worse situation. in short. i guess. or the liners need to be changed too (not just the piston rings)

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36266
Hello everyone who is reading this topic. I am in So. Cal. Lake Elsinore to be exact, and I just recently learned the importance of checking my oil. Let's just say, I learned an expensive lesson... Anyway, I am in the market for a new engine for my 01' spyder (29,000mi) and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about Toysport in Gardena Ca? If you have had any experience with them that you could share with me, good or bad, I would appreciate it. This would help with my decision to have them work on my car or not.
there must be a terrible error earlier. the MR-S shares the same engine block as the altis (1ZZ). so any failures are atributed to previous owner (from japan) not doing his/her engine check up.

i sorry of your friends tough luck.

I know of some other owners too who neglected a little on regular maintenance. dont just leave it to the mechanics/shops.

hope this helps

nd4ever

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
KL, PJ & S'ban
www.facebook.com
koolspyda, so u mean that my friend should be looking for a new engine for his MR-S bcoz of the problems he encountered? Sigh...... yesterday went to his mechanic's garage & still the white smoke problem persist.

He's been monitoring his engine oil level for the past 3 days & there's no shortage of any after the top overhaul was done by the mechanic. It's just the white smoke problem when revving the engine only.

He bought the car brand new & it's not re-cond according to him. Therefore, he's the 1st owner from the start. AFAIK, he's a regular when comes his MR-S checkups. Whenever there's a minor problem with his MR-S, he'll straight away send it for overall checkup at the mechanic's place.

He told me yesterday that he suspects that the removal of the cat-converter that's located at the exhaust header causes this white smoke problem. How true is this koolspyda? If that's the case, perhaps he'll purchase a set of TRD exhaust system to be fitted to his MR-S. He just owned the MR-S for only a year plus nia.

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
Removing cat converter should not result in white smoke being produced.

Why is a relatively new car being sent to mechanic for top overhaul?

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
i think the "lack of oil" may have scorched the cylinder walls (hypothesis
or wrong rings. OR the cat has degenerated & the loose bits gets into the engine part.
There were cases of this happening. Check the stock catalytic, if the honey-like material is still intact or broken. (you can peer into the stock cat to see the it)

then again, this is all guess hypsthesis work from me. as i dont know the history of car.

btw, is this the white SMT MR-S that you are refering too?

MRMIC2

1,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2004
Another scenario is - Before the top overhaul, it was using a lot of engine oil. Maybe some engine oil was collected in the muffler and will 'smoke' when the muffler gets heated. If it is so...then u can try using another muffler or running without muffler to see whether is still smokes. Happens quite often to cars that drinks engine oils....where does it go?
BTW I decat my MRS and it didnt give out white smoke... :)

nd4ever

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
KL, PJ & S'ban
www.facebook.com
midship, well the mechanic is actually my uncle & happens to be the MR-S good old friend since primary school. That's y he rather sent his MR-S to my uncle for servicing.

koolspyda, hmmmm..... i dunno what's the next step that the mechanic or the owner will take to rectify the white smoke problem.

MRMIC2, thanx for the input...... i'll suggest to the owner to get another muffler to test out his MR-S.

Thanx guys for the inputs! I appreciated it a lot! :shades_smile:

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
MRMIC2 said:
Another scenario is - Before the top overhaul, it was using a lot of engine oil. Maybe some engine oil was collected in the muffler and will 'smoke' when the muffler gets heated. If it is so...then u can try using another muffler or running without muffler to see whether is still smokes. Happens quite often to cars that drinks engine oils....where does it go?

a good possibility too. but it should go off after a while. excess smoke with go off eventually.

iexit

1,500 RPM
Aug 18, 2005
Selangor
iexit.multiply.com
Check the valve seats. Same thing happened to me on my sw20. After I remove my cat, my car became a chain smoker. Fix my valve seats and now she’s kick the habit.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
yeowzer, thats bad.

normally should grind /bed in those valves once top overhaul.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
touge run tomorrow (sunday). sms me for details if keen.

remember to have good set of tires.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com

de blue's

500 RPM
May 15, 2004
hi fren...i was told have 2zz complete engine with powerFC but 5 speed gear box with LSD arrive...is any body get this news?

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
!! nope hear .but nice to see where lor. 5 speed G box means a MRS half cut?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A lot of us car enthusiasts love our cars more than our wife (some says so) :rofl:

Most of us did spend lots of money on purchasing expensive imported rims. Even if is not
very expensive, many would also feel the pain if our beautiful rims are scratched. Be it
Taiwan Rims, Japan Rims and etcs.

So, other than repairing the rims or respray our rims. Is there any other way to protect it?

Good news, not sure how many of you know about this. But came across this website
talking...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience