Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo Vs Supercharged Satria GTI

razaksa

Known Member
Dec 16, 2004
as
G' day fellow ZTH forummers, it's been a while since I posted on the FI section of ZTH and just felt that I had to, just to share my personal experience of the above topic and I'd like to declare my purpose is not to undermine or flame anyone especially the above 2 car models mentioned and neither am I working for any of the 2 above owners. It's strictly my personal opinion for you enthusiasts to read and maybe benefit or disregard if you think it's wrong.

Location of road test : From Kepong to Shah Alam, 9.00pm traffic through LDP and Federal Highway.

Car Specs :
1.8 L(4g93T) Mitsubishi Mirage GSR Turbo 0.9 bar, this is OEM Mitsu TC car made in Nippon and newer version of GSR which is terbalik with MMC ECU and OBIT piggyback ECU. Stock Standard Internals.

1.8 L(4g93P) Satria GTI Supercharged, MMC ECU and OBIT piggyback. As described in the Supercharged Satria GTI thread. STock Standard Internals

Results : I was sitting in the passenger seat of the Mirage, can't remember how many car lengths we were left behind by the GTI, the driver was heel and toeing the pedals furiously but just could not keep up with the SCed GTI!

Conclusion : I think the Mirage lost out to turbo lag, think it needs approximately 4krpm before it fully spools by that time the GTI would have already boosted > 0.5 bar since it has instanteneous boost from idle onwards and already many yards ahead. Also the Mirage would run a higher risk of damaging it's turbo by dropping gears to rev the engine higher.

My 2 cents : For a hybrid supercharged engine with NA block to beat an OEM turbocharged engine(considering similar specs) in my opinion is a very respectable engineering achievement. Just for the record, reliability of this Sced GTI is well tested and proven over several years. So for you 4G93P owners, beware you have an engine with tremendous potentials! I hear that more goodies are coming soon for the SC'ed GTI. I'm not saying that SC is better than TC(enough of that childish arguments), I think if you wana mod better decide first what you want to achieve.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
depends also wor
the supercharger kit alone for the GTI is 5k rite ?
how if the same 5k was spent on a Turbo Ball bearing kit :)
the SC in the GTI for 5k is not a puny Supercharger i believe.
and td04 is a really errr small

razaksa

Known Member
Dec 16, 2004
as
jinkl said:
depends also wor
ACtually I'm not an expert on different turbo kit model and performance. You guys tell me if I'm wrong, From what I know the larger a turbo the longer the lag. Also using a larger turbo with higher boost would require a number of internal modifications to maintain reliability not to mention proper tuning.
I would suppose if the 5k was to be spent on a turbo ball bearing kit with zero lag and higher boost that would be definitely a huge jump in performance for the GSR, but question is, is it possible?
What I'm saying here is the SC kit gives a much bigger"bang for the buck" mod as compared to an engine transplant to GSR or other turbo models for the GTI
Actually I was seriously contemplating on buying the above Mirage GSR engine, not to undermine the capability of GSR engines, but after the above road test, boy! I'm glad I decided not to.

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
which model is the 4G93T engine was in?

lots of other factors to consider when u're racing 2 cars, not just engine

1> Power to weight ratio
2> Tyres
3> Driver Skills
4> Road conditions
5> Lastly.... abit of Luck...

xerofighter

Not so senior member
Mar 2, 2004
Subang
BLaCkHoWLiNG said:
which model is the 4G93T engine was in?

lots of other factors to consider when u're racing 2 cars, not just engine

1> Power to weight ratio
2> Tyres
3> Driver Skills
4> Road conditions
5> Lastly.... abit of Luck...
gear ratios also big factor.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
wah the test was from kepong to shah alam
seriously what blackie said makes lots of diffrence

1> Power to weight ratio
2> Tyres - a GSR with semi slicks n racing clutch whack me 9 9 , although rated tht evo is 100hp more
3> Driver Skills - shifting at wrong rpm's , and playing the accelerator wrongly making spins , how leh ?
4> Road conditions
5> Lastly.... abit of Luck... - if u all playing long distance and got cars on road , sure ler need luck to find a hole

what i meant in my previous post was
with ball bearing turine u can minimize turbo lag and boost higher cos mostly bb are performance ones and 5k huhu i bet u can get a good one.
gsr halfcut is just in the 4k range for FULL halfcut bro
while the Gti is already rated 130-140 hp , with the sc i tink it would kick more than 180hp , while the GSR is just a 180hp with a puny turbine.
It would only be a fair race if the Gti+sc and Gsr had same setting of tyres , clutch , weight :) one more thing , GSR reach 180 then have to duduk diam :) white gti can still go beyond without the speedcut hehehe.

razaksa

Known Member
Dec 16, 2004
as
xerofighter said:
gear ratios also big factor.
completely agree with you guys there. Thanks for the healthy feed back, I'm learning some new things here..

Could someone enlighten me on how gear ratios work and what's the optimum gear ratio for a 1.6L engine for better performance..

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
jinkl said:
depends also wor
Bro, this is my point of view. dun flame me ar..!!!

lets say both was on GTI satria. one unit of GTI spent RM5k u get the supercharger kit and get most likely above mention result. The another unit GTI spent RM5k on getting Mirage GSR conversion. that is u need another RM5k for the ball bearing turbokit and as mentioned not yet include the gear ratio?

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
hehe like tht can ler
but the comparison is between a OEM Gsr and a GTI Sc mar
not fair to bully the puny gsr stock mar
its better we compare like this
2 gti's
both no engines in the car assume both cars engine blew :P
one spends 3k buying a 93na halfcut and 5k for sc kit
while
one spends 4.5k getting a gsr and spending 3k for a ballbearing turbine

errrr , this one no flaming flaming one
we just playing around with the topic and confusing the others hehehhee

xerofighter

Not so senior member
Mar 2, 2004
Subang
razaksa said:
completely agree with you guys there. Thanks for the healthy feed back, I'm learning some new things here..

Could someone enlighten me on how gear ratios work and what's the optimum gear ratio for a 1.6L engine for better performance..
i think it would help if you posted what type of 1.6 engine.

gerard

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
jinkl said:
hehe like tht can ler
but the comparison is between a OEM Gsr and a GTI Sc mar
not fair to bully the puny gsr stock mar
its better we compare like this
2 gti's
both no engines in the car assume both cars engine blew :P
one spends 3k buying a 93na halfcut and 5k for sc kit
while
one spends 4.5k getting a gsr and spending 3k for a ballbearing turbine

errrr , this one no flaming flaming one
we just playing around with the topic and confusing the others hehehhee
Bro,

Hahaha...I like that statement of yours....I'm getting confused too...Both engines kong, we both plunk in SOCH mmc 1.6 with GTI body....

cheers
gerard

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
BLaCkHoWLiNG said:
who dares to flame u wor..
Wahahaha.. see la... u already put big preassure on me liao. whahaha... im nobody la. drive puny small car. know nuts about motoring... so most of the times the comment i put was wrong lor... so kena flame lor...

gerard

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
normality78 said:
Bro, this is my point of view. dun flame me ar..!!!

lets say both was on GTI satria. one unit of GTI spent RM5k u get the supercharger kit and get most likely above mention result. The another unit GTI spent RM5k on getting Mirage GSR conversion. that is u need another RM5k for the ball bearing turbokit and as mentioned not yet include the gear ratio?
Bro,

What I can say here is that everyone needs and demands of their ride is vastly different thus some will say tc great and some may say sc good...In my opinion, both are cousins, with both sharing some advantages and some disadvantages...The owner will then have to decide what suits their personality and what is required from the car....

cheers
gerard