LSD Inserts , Phantom Grip , SBR , Powerzone , etc

ekvtec

Dec 9, 2005
how much it will cost for torsen lsd? i'm thinking of change my gearbox to lsd one which one is better? i'm using b18cr 4.4 g/b currently..

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
I have long pondered about these LSD inserts (by PZ)...

Is it actually okay to just slip in two metal blocks like that and apply pressure on the gears? It sounded crazy to me. Real mechanical LSDs have a lot of engineering into them. A lot of reviews said its ok. But I guess not all...

n/a_tune

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
I was keen to know about LSD inserts and how they work
I studied them and one dear sifu wrote a short note about it.
Remember that this is not a normal person , its the owner of Jacks Transmission itself, Jacks transmissions build transmissions

"I think what wears out the gears and cross shaft with an insert is normal driving, not racing. When you drive in the street, especially the highway, both of the front wheels are never turning at perfectly the same speed, so the front diff gears are always in motion. It may be very slow, but they are moving around. Plus, the front diff is turning at a high rate of speed on the high way, so oil is moved away from the center giving the spider gears and cross shaft even less oil. The way the inserts work is they put metal-to-metal contact and pressure on the gears inside the diff. When they are moving the insert is slowly chewing away at the gears and cross shaft. Some get lucky and it doesn't explode and total their tranny for a long time, others are not so lucky. I personally don't like them and don't recommend them. I have yet to drive a car with one that feels like it works at all and the destruction I have seen from them is just scary. My brother was tuning a car for a friend on the street with one and it let go. The whole area around the front diff just blew out from under the car and he was lucky not to have lost control. I have some pics of some badly worn cross shafts and spider gears lying around here somewhere. If I find them I will post them.

What really gets me about these inserts is many have failed on people, but they never post about it, so you rarely hear anything negative about them. The people that have gotten lucky and still have a working trans talk about how great they are.

Jack"

brands that are LSD Inserts are
B&M , SBR , Phantom Grip , and not leaving Powerzone

and guys , around the world people have experienced the LSD Inserts, only one word "its nothing if u compare it to a Torsen/Clutch Type LSD"

some say "its near to nothing"
some say "its good , but only for mild modded car"
some say "hellooooo metal shavings"
some say "welcome broken diffrentials"

you may find and read yourself i guess, honda-tech.com has some info , DSMtuners has more
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1448112

i dont use a LSD insert but do wish to know more, any of you guys have strong info and research please do post up, please do not come in and just say "it works, it doesnt break" etc without some solid info :)

thank you
im use this lsd,,, matspeed brand in evo lock to 2wd gearbox for drag use,, only 3 0r 4 times launch my diff broken:bawling::bawling:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Jin,

You appear to have pretty much made up your mind about the inserts, so is there any specific recommendation from you in regards of alternative LSDs that work and are not a bitch to break-in like some of those clutch-types.