Its LSD Gearbox..?? Or is it..?

eldims

Sep 22, 2009
Johor Bahru
Hi.. i've recently changed my gear box and asked for LSD. i was already using an lsd 1.5 way gb previously and had to change it for some reason (long story). with the previous gb, i notice that when i turn 1 wheel (jacked up), i will feel a lock and then the other wheel will follow. but with this new gb, tht doesnt occur. both wheels does not interlock. and yet the guy at the shop says its lsd.

i dont want to argue coz i dun have much knowledge. i've also read somewhere that lsd 1 way only locks during accelerating. is it possible that this new gb is 1 way lsd? whts the difference anyway between 1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way lsd..? i've also heard of semi lock and full lock lsd. whts that about..? is there anyone who knows about this..?

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

ouh and.. if its possible that its 1 way lsd, how do i tell..? is there a way..?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Hi.. i've recently changed my gear box and asked for LSD. i was already using an lsd 1.5 way gb previously and had to change it for some reason (long story). with the previous gb, i notice that when i turn 1 wheel (jacked up), i will feel a lock and then the other wheel will follow. but with this new gb, tht doesnt occur. both wheels does not interlock. and yet the guy at the shop says its lsd.

i dont want to argue coz i dun have much knowledge. i've also read somewhere that lsd 1 way only locks during accelerating. is it possible that this new gb is 1 way lsd? whts the difference anyway between 1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way lsd..? i've also heard of semi lock and full lock lsd. whts that about..? is there anyone who knows about this..?

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

ouh and.. if its possible that its 1 way lsd, how do i tell..? is there a way..?
one thing i know to detect lsd, you jacked up the car... turn 1 wheel, and the other will follow in the same direction

for example, you turn the driver side wheel forward, the passenger side oso turn the same way

in a normal gearbox, it will turn in the opposite direction

my car uses a lsd gearbox from mira daihatsu.... its a 1 way lsd btw as most oem lsd...

eldims

Sep 22, 2009
Johor Bahru
so regardless of what way lsd gb i'm using, when i turn 1 wheel the other will definitely follow..? meaning if it doesn't its not an lsd gear box..? so in my case its not an lsd gear box then huh..?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
so regardless of what way lsd gb i'm using, when i turn 1 wheel the other will definitely follow..? meaning if it doesn't its not an lsd gear box..? so in my case its not an lsd gear box then huh..?
i think so.... let see other opinion first...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
i found this link quite useful.

Kevin Garage

1 way L.S.D
Activates under acceleration
1.5 way LSD
Activates under acceleration while the understeer is less than on the 2 way LSD,full engage during accelerating, 1/2 engage for braking aka semi-lock
2 way LSD
active during acceleration and braking aka full lock

eldims

Sep 22, 2009
Johor Bahru
btw.. does anyone knows where in malaysia i can build a custom gear ratio for my gear box. and is it possible to fit in a lsd kit on to gb that does not originally have lsd..?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
aftermarket LSD kits are available bro...but many reckon it is not a good idea..due to wear and tear.

building gear ratio's i am not sure where it can be done...but it definitely can be done bro

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
aftermarket LSD kits are available bro...but many reckon it is not a good idea..due to wear and tear.

building gear ratio's i am not sure where it can be done...but it definitely can be done bro
not sure about building gear ratio... but always heard of mix and match gear ratio from other model

for example, mira L5 (JB-JL) gearbox are shorter than a kancil since its a turbo... need the revs to spool the turbine... the cons is that you get lower top speed....e.g. i've heard stock JB-JL engine wif no mods whatsoever can get 16xkm/h max... when mix-and-match aka 'kacuk' with a longer ratio say from a kancil 850cc (the final 2 ratio and final drive).. you can see 190km/h ++ anyday...

make sure you get a reputable shop to it though

eldims

Sep 22, 2009
Johor Bahru
i'm still not too sure about the gb lsd thing. is it true that some lsd gears only engage when the gb gets certain amount of input from the engine. coz the mechanic said the lsd will only engage when i accelerate the car up to certain point. meaning if i just turn 1 wheel while the car is being jacked up, the other wheel wont turn coz there is not enough force to engage the lsd. its some what like a spring or something that locks only when certain force is introduced to it.

all this while, i thought that regardless of what type of lsd u are using (either 1 way, 1.5 way or 2 way, or semi lock, or full lock, or any other lsd for that matter), one wheel will always follow when u turn the other wheel while the car is being jacked up.

all those sifus, please help..

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
refer here Limited Slip Differential

Answer 1

I tried the most popular VLSD test while the car was up on a lift. I definitely have the VLSD, confirmed via other means. Namely, big orange sticker on the side that says VLSD.... Anyway, all forms of this test were done with both drive wheels completely off the ground. Here's what I found:

With transmission in neutral, spin one wheel by hand and the other spins the same direction. Both spin very freely.

With transmission in gear (driveshaft fixed), the wheel is much more difficult to spin, plus the other wheel rotates in the OPPOSITE direction.

With one wheel fixed (someone holding it in this case, could also be on the ground), either in neutral or in gear, it is very difficult to turn the other side at all, but it will turn given enough force.

I've heard that other VLSDs and other types of LSDs tend to react to this test differently. For instance, the Torsen and other similar helical limited slip differentials act just like an open differential when subjected to this test. However, the above is how Nissan's R200V VLSD reacts to the test. I'd assume that the Z32's R230V would react the same since it's of similar design, just a bigger ring gear.
I believe OEM evo III uses helical LSD rite? if so, based on the article above.... your LSD might not response to the elevate-car-and-turn-wheel test..... maybe it needs torque to confirm...

why not you ask in the mitsubishi section, surely they can help?

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
hmm not easy to know its lsd or not, easiest way is to open ur driveshafts, see thru the hole
if there is a big shaft crossing, then its confirm not a aftermarket lsd

btw, torsen lsds are totally rare in the japan evo123 world
cusco , kaaz, ats , all will rotate the same direction when u jack the car

if ur mech gave u special driveshafts, then its confirm a mitsubishi helical lsd

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
hmm not easy to know its lsd or not, easiest way is to open ur driveshafts, see thru the hole

if ur mech gave u special driveshafts, then its confirm a mitsubishi helical lsd
makes me wonder what type of lsd attached to my daihatsu mira gearbox :hmmmm:

because it rotate the same direction oso.... so far L2 & L5 exhibit the same trait

Angelz

Known Member
Jan 5, 2004

Bro,

See thru the gear box hole?

eldims,

Bro.. even if its a helical/torsen.. it will spin the the same direction when jack up.