Local 1.6 Vtec Engine Overheat

ryuichi

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
Bro,
My cousin local 1.6 Vtec engine overheat.
His mech said instead of fix better change with another engine kosong.
He was quote RM 2k plus n said kau tim the the engine problem for him.
The mech didn't say in detail whether got change timing belt or other things nor didn't say whether include Puspakom and JPJ.

Whta's the current price for engine kosong, labour costs or anyone have any experience it b4?
Btw, got any workshop to recommend argh bro?
Newbis here.....

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
prices can vary depending on shopping around.

Labour costs for engine swap can range from RM500 to 1000+, depending on work done.

dunno where you're from, but Ah Seong from Bukit Kemuning is experienced in fixing honda's and so is another in USJ1 (dunno the shop name, and dunno if they moved yet or not.) Those at least, are the shops I know of in KL/Selangor.

But swapping an entire engine just for a overheating problem seems a little excessive to me, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

sazleej

Known Member
May 10, 2007
i also experience this.. but for me, the solution is, change the radiator, used radiator flush to clean the water way in the engine and used a quality coolant.. dont know bout your car...

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
A badly warped head and block can cause overheating problems (boiling of coolant) and its easier to just replace the whole head/block unit I guess.

If it includes new auxiliary parts (belts, water pump etc) and labour I think thats a very fair price...

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
Like shiro-san said, replacing the block because of overheat is overkill to me.

I'd rather reskim the head. Unless the block itself is warped, then you got no choice buddy.

And plonk in something along the lines of a B-series :thefinger:

BTW, where u at bro?

If you got to change the block, then a visit to PUSPAKOM is needed.

ryuichi

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
Bro,
Thanks all the reply. My cousin car is in KL.
Well, he have been experiencing the same problem over n over again.....
Good quality coolant, reskim the head, change the valve...... on numerous occassion liao....up to one extend he's so pissed of the mech he just paid for the parts n not the labour....
Now he opted to try out another mech, which according to him given him two option. Option A, fix it, change the valve, skim head etc....cost bout RM1k plus and no gurantee whether the same prob will crop again or not....Option B which he took is the plonk in engine kosong....

I called up my own mech to check with him as well, according to him once local 1.6 vtec overheat, it'll reoccur again n again whatever things you fix oso... my mech got so fed up with of the it with same problem after the 5th time he recommend to the owner to plonk in engine kosong n the problem solved......
What you think bout it bro? Am not sure, but i wolud prefer to plonk in B series. Too bad my cousin not into car mods .....
Thanks a lot bro.....

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
yes...

I have heard of this recurring rumour. Infact, a few of the customers that come to my shop that had the EJ have been experiencing the same problem. Not all. Just a few.

And yes, we sent the head out for skimming. But the block also needs to be reworked as well. Not economical, but saves the hassle of going to PUSPAKOM and getting another engine, which may or may not be in better condition.

If money is no object, and your cousin is fed up with this overheating issue, I would suggest going up a notch. Get another engine, and build it.

Build as in not just buy and plonk in, but refurbish what is needed. Replace seals, waterpump. Ive seen people just drop in an engine straight from the shop.

Open up the engine, and check for its condition. better safe than being stranded on the side of the road with a bent head eh.

its your cousins call. If he deems a reskim is sufficient, be it. But I would get another engine. Or get a used VTEC head. which isnt hard to get and not that expensive either.

my 2 cents

Areignz

Known Member
Jan 28, 2005
Overheating problem is really annoying.Once u fix it, the problem ok a while then came back.Try to get another engine kosong and rebuilt before u install.

suduRed

Known Member
Sep 27, 2005
Bdr.Sri.Dmsara
sori,spoil this thread a while...wht the best coolent especialy for vtec,the best among them and the price as well,can anyone here sharing their exp...thx thx

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
an early detection of engine overheating and changing the water pump straight away should solve the problem.

those temporary measures like filling up water when its dry are just pushing the limit of the going-to-die water circulation problem. (provided there are no leaks on the hoses and radiator)

all these are all wear and tear problem. same goes like the honda distributor, fuel pump, air condition system and etc.

ps. heres a good writeup on redline watter wetter

Does Redline "Water Wetter" Really Work?

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
Bro ryuichi, My car also got this problem, had already change the water pun and termostat, radiotar flush, still got problem, then recently had to change the head gasket because it's burn already, i guess this is a common problem with 7 to 8 yrs of the car age, now after changing the gasket everything ok, hopefully, but for my fren he had to change the engine block. Just my experiance to share with others.

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
when the car hits 100k or 200k on the mileage, there should be some sort of a preventive maintenance on certain parts. head gasket is one of them actually.

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
when the car hits 100k or 200k on the mileage, there should be some sort of a preventive maintenance on certain parts. head gasket is one of them actually.
Bro just one question, how about the distributer? my mech say that also would create problems, is it true?

ryuichi

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
thanks for all the advice bros.....
well, am not sure what cousin will do....he asked me so i just let him know the option n feedback i got from here.......
think need to check with him later .....

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
u can always check the physical cap, ignition coil and ignitor for voltage resistance.

anything related and connected to the plug cables and plugs should come together during the inspection.

Bro just one question, how about the distributer? my mech say that also would create problems, is it true?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Black Wira, recently put on a Promote I front bumper. I removed the old sideskirts (ala GTi design) cos i had to take out my front fenders, and now without sideskirts my car looks kinda weird.

Any suggestions on what to replace them with?

If any members have pictures of the sideskirts, that would be even better! :regular_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience