Life after degree

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Im not here to ask u all wht exactly to do
bt do advise me , im 21 , jst finishing my degree in software engineering in 2 months time.

Is it wise to continue with my masters ?

Am i too young for masters ?

should i expose myself with the working field first ?

is a MBA worthwhile ?

na_power

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
21 with degree? so young got degree already respect2... just go marry sumone laaa....

facelift

Known Member
Apr 25, 2005
Get married. Then take your master oversea. Somewhere in the UK maybe, and work as a part time tutor. After that return to malaysia with a beemer. =) (at least thats what I planned)

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
not a bad idea to study MASTER, market for fresh IT grad is pretty bad now. Do not forget to import a car from UK. :biggrin:

fritz

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2005
Malaysia
www.mrbaoz.com.my
So young study master? walao! But..master is not easy to study. My sister experienced it, most of the assignment they gave will based on ur working experienced. If u dont have one..how can u finish the assignment?! Think twice! Btw..Dun think of bringing car back to malaysia from UK..its very troublesome..im in uk now..i know it..hehe!

NOSkill

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Software Engineering is really about experiance. There's no point to go further about the field.

TRD16v

1,500 RPM
Feb 9, 2004
Tokyo, Japan.
Visit site
jinkl,
yep, mba will be good for u and since u start young it will even broaden more to your own knowledge and expose more to the business world out there. Well my 2 cent and jes a simple advise. If not jes kahwin la. hahaahahahaa! all the best to u man and good luck!

Regards,
Mike

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
21 is not too young la...
most of the frest grad oso abt this age...
i'm turnin 21 this year n going to complete my degree in aug...
and i'm not even 21 by then...
hell lots of ppl same age wif me graduating wif degree...
how to cari makan??
hahaha
but then i thinks that to do masters its always best to have working xperience...
my plan is to work n then study part time for masters...
but then seriously doubt i am able to cope wif it...
imagine working preassure + study preassure = insane...
hahahahaha

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
if ur family isnt waiting for u to feed them, go go pursue ur master in overseas lar... if not, work for few years first, if later u feel u need ur masters only go and take lor....

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
for me...

after degree... i wil work 1st......maybe after one or two years then only further studies

coz if u keep on study study study and no knowledge n experience in working field...

after u graduated in ur master oso useless.....

tat my thinking...

and i prefer to specilaized in few fields...eg busines marketing, automotive echnology, computer hardware/software......

my planing....dun need all Master...some Diploma o degree enuf....

sure can cari makan

yurigtr

Known Member
Jan 19, 2005
It depends on how you look at it, working experience is never a bad direction.

Another factor that you need to think about is "who are you going to work for?" this is critical because a person with an MBA will definitely expect a higher payslip. Say you are a HR manager and there are 2 candidates for a software engineering pos in the company ya working for, both with no working experience and needs training and guidance, but obviously the expecting salary is different. In your honest opinion, who would you employ? of course there are lil factors like interviews, communication skills...etc...but i am sure you guys will likely to choose which person for the position.

Like what some had said, if your family isnt exactly waiting for you to controbute to the household expenses, why not study? the market situation isnt exactly in the best state to look for a "decent pay" job. :) for the amount of time and effort ya willing to put in that is. But, if you are gonna work for your parents, i.e self employed, best to start early. :)

p/s In big organizations, if you posses higher education level than others, well, you do however stand a better chance to get promoted provided if you are dedicated in your job. (same effort being put in by the other person with lower education level). Sad but True !

Regards

links

1,500 RPM
May 26, 2004
21st, i onli got my degree at 23rd...

my advice is try to gather some work experience before you know which field in IT or business you want to get in, then only go to the relevant Master. Also, MAster without any working experience may not get good job nowadays.

If you are ambitious, make sure you go to those MBA with reputation. There are mountains of MBA around this days so the reputation of the institute makes the different.Despite MBA, there are some so called "chartered"professions which also can be consider. I am not sure in IT but in marketing there are chartered marketeer, for accounting they have CPA which is chatered public accountant and for Investment bank they have CFA which is chartered financial analyst.

Recently there are research showing that CFA in US earn average of USD118k/yr which is more than the average annual income of the MBA for Harvard business school.There are only about 3000plus CFA in Singapore and maybe less than 2000 in Msia but the demand for this profession is more than double of this amount in the region.But in every CFA exam, there will be only top 30% from the candidates around the world will pass, the other 70% will have to try again.

Currently I am on the progress of certification on the Black belt in Six Sigma and will be doing CFA level 1 by end of this year, If you want to take CFA we may share some study notes.

BTW, anyone doing CFA level one this yr??? Can share study notes? its freaking tedious to get the whole set....

Duke Red

2,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Earth
That would depend a whole lot on your choice of career. The journey I embarked on took me through the towns of film distribution and event management. During my travels I noticed that a lot more emphasis was placed on character, attitude and personality rather than results. During my interviews, I was never once asked to present my results (thank god). My course of study was marketing & management, two subjects that require a person to have strong interpersonal and decision making skills which are not reflected in your results. This was probably why I was never asked to present my sub-par achievements in my studies.

If you are choosing the path that leads to a more technical line that requires special skills then I suppose higher qualifications do give you an edge.

Here's a piece of advice though, find a job you like and not one you are qualified for. Else you'll soon find yourself in a pub during happy hour bitching about your job like most people.

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
age 21 i think working already laa myself.... last time degree damm 7 expensive lor, so never go school one hehehehehhehehe :p

jin bro, no point go MBA so early laa, xpose to werking life first then only see if its appropriate to further MBA or not lor... our gurubesar mike aka TRD16V also doin da same maaa :p

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Bachelor's degree at 21, is about right. Go into one of those private colleges after your SPM, 4 years and voila...degree holder at 21. If you're one of the even richer folks, you can go overseas as well. For poorer folk like me, we do STPM and get our degrees a year later at 22.

It's not really worth it having a Master's degree in computer science or IT related fields of study, unless you want to be an academician. Most jobs, in Malaysia at least, require real world technical ability and experience. Not something you get from university. Professional qualification helps though. So if you do plan to do your post graduate studies, choose something else, MBA or whatever.