let's talk about VTEC here,...

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
dont know if this topic or similar ones are in the forum,...

no matter what engine u are running, lets share some knowledge and experience here.

post ur vtecnology here, whther u're running a b16, b18, f, h, or even K, hehe!

with v-afc2, at what rpm should i set my vtec to open, considering i'm running stock f20b dohc triptronic? the dual-runners come on at abt 4.5k and vtec opens at 5.2k at the moment.

i am considering 4.8k.

some of my frens running h22a and f20b also modded their dual-runner to open at engine ignition,... so if i do that as well, any disadvantage? with that, then i can set vtec to open at 4k or 4.5k.

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
aiyo,... ask ais kacang, come out cendol,...

eh, pillage,... chk ur manifold area,... further right, see whther u have this thing or not.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
aiyo,... ask ais kacang, come out cendol,...

eh, pillage,... chk ur manifold area,... further right, see whther u have this thing or not.

Lol.. this part reminds me of vaccuum advance unit of the carb. days. :P

Dunno anything about accords,

but I'm guessing that the dual runners are vaccum referenced if that kind of device is involved. which simply means it triggers on wide open throttle, but does it gradually depending on how much vacuum the manifold sees. If not honda would probably have the ECU trigger it instead if it's an on off thing.

Last edited:

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
Lol.. this part reminds me of vaccuum advance unit of the carb. days. :P

Dunno anything about accords,

but I'm guessing that the dual runners are vaccum referenced if that kind of device is involved. which simply means it triggers on wide open throttle, but does it gradually depending on how much vacuum the manifold sees. If not honda would probably have the ECU trigger it instead if it's an on off thing.
the butterfly actually opens at around 4500RPM. If you WOT from idle, it still wont activate until that certain RPM point.

hence the term 'dual VTEC' in some of the 'other' civic guys, where the B16a's plenum activates its shorter runner, achieving more pull.

Then and only then does VTEC kick in.

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
No point to change vtec activation point using vafc.

You'll need atleast an ignition timing module as well to truly benefit
Else your car will be running all the wrong maps when vtec activates at the wrong time.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
the butterfly actually opens at around 4500RPM. If you WOT from idle, it still wont activate until that certain RPM point.

hence the term 'dual VTEC' in some of the 'other' civic guys, where the B16a's plenum activates its shorter runner, achieving more pull.

Then and only then does VTEC kick in.
Opps.. I missed the 'not', hence it was supposed to be.
but I'm guessing that the dual runners are vaccum referenced if that kind of device is involved. which simply means it triggers NOT on wide open throttle, but does it gradually depending on how much vacuum the manifold sees. If not honda would probably have the ECU trigger it instead if it's an on off thing.
I don't think it's a 4.5K constant rpm either, but rather depends on manifold pressure. At least that was how those things used to work in on cars with ignition advance controlled by vacuum.

But like I said, dunno anything about accords. It would seem strange that it wasn't controlled by the ECU though.. it would be easier if it was an on off system rather than something gradual.

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
Opps.. I missed the 'not', hence it was supposed to be.

I don't think it's a 4.5K constant rpm either, but rather depends on manifold pressure. At least that was how those things used to work in on cars with ignition advance controlled by vacuum.

But like I said, dunno anything about accords. It would seem strange that it wasn't controlled by the ECU though.. it would be easier if it was an on off system rather than something gradual.
Ahaaa. Gotcha buddy.

But seriously, on a few H22's ive driven and ridden, the plenum activates at roughtly 4.5k, when u feel a mild pull and a different induction note.

Not as strong as VTEC, but still.

Like zeroed said, if got ITC, only is it justifiable to change x-over point.

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
Ahaaa. Gotcha buddy.

But seriously, on a few H22's ive driven and ridden, the plenum activates at roughtly 4.5k, when u feel a mild pull and a different induction note.

Not as strong as VTEC, but still.

Like zeroed said, if got ITC, only is it justifiable to change x-over point.
what to buy to get an ITC???

looks like my vafc will use to control air and fuel lah,...
vtec point dun change ahhh,... lower a bit can, rite? i think the japs also apply some sort of safety adjustment,... let vtec kick at 5k should no harm, eh?

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
what to buy to get an ITC???

looks like my vafc will use to control air and fuel lah,...
vtec point dun change ahhh,... lower a bit can, rite? i think the japs also apply some sort of safety adjustment,... let vtec kick at 5k should no harm, eh?
U go to kedai and tanya if they got selling ignition timing controller. ITC

pillage2001

Known Member
Mar 22, 2005
Like Bien said...don't think there's a dual runner in my car. :P

Any idea when VTEC buka on the k24a4??? Think can feel it at times but must be my own butt dyno lah.

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
Like Bien said...don't think there's a dual runner in my car. :P

Any idea when VTEC buka on the k24a4??? Think can feel it at times but must be my own butt dyno lah.
ur K24a4 where got 'VTEC buka'

its an economy VTEC, not performance VTEC.

VTEC on intake side only.

Ur butt dyno very sensitive ah.

No lah, actually, what u felt was the VTC taking effect, not VTEC.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The lads at Autocar magazine really do have one of the best jobs in the world. They recently put together a "test" comparing some of the fastest cars in the world, including the Bugatti Veyron. Other cars include the brand new Lambo Gallardo Superleggera, Audi R8, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, and the Aston Martin DB9 with Sports Pack.
While this video isn't a review per se, you do get an idea of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience