Ice Newbie - "midrange" Sound Setup Suggestions

mamamia

Apr 23, 2005
ICE sifu's,

I have some simple requests for my kereta. I like rock songs (specifically songs with guitars).

My simple setup consists of a Pioneer DEH-1750 HU (lowest end) with 2 rear speakers (dunno what brand).

I would like to upgrade the HU to a DEH-4750P (to play MP3s) and add 2 front speakers (no woofers thank you!). Am after "midrange" sounds for my type of songs.

I am no audiophile, but I just want my music to sound decent, crisp and clear. Currently they sound a bit muddy.

Can this work? Ie. :
- new HU
- new front speakers
- keep old rear speakers
- no woofer coz no need keng bass
- tweeters?

and approx. how much would I have to spend (budget <rm1k+)?

Tankew tankew!!

xcheong

1,500 RPM
Mar 6, 2004
Visit site
keep your HU, change front comp set. i got one set soundstream xtream comp set use for few days only, brand new RM790. i'm selling dirt cheap only.
if u want pm me for the price.

its highly recomended for u to add a subwoofer. cuz subwoofer not neccessary for u to have great thumping bass. but to "smooth" out the low frequency, so u can hear your drum rolls, bass guitar sound more "real". i bet, nothing is better than adding a subwoofer and have a nice comp set infront.

e1fnd

Known Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by xcheong@Apr 23 2005, 12:49
its highly recomended for u to add a subwoofer. cuz subwoofer not neccessary for u to have great thumping bass. but to "smooth" out the low frequency, so u can hear your drum rolls, bass guitar sound more "real". i bet, nothing is better than adding a subwoofer and have a nice comp set infront.
[snapback]920802[/snapback]​

I have to agree to what xcheong says.... I know it takes up space... but it is the subwoofer that gives u the extra edge on the bass.... I listen to acoustic musics too and the woofer really gives a very enlighten ambience...

pisces

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
Yes, have to agree with xcheong and e1fnd.
The knowledge in ICE in this forum has certainly improved a lot!! :lol:

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
i had the exact same thinking you had when i started ICE. targeted a beginners setup with minimum cost and didn't want the woofer coz taking up too much space.

but heck, longer i listen, the more i need to upgrade. after installing amp and front component, i told myself to stop coz woofer will take up wayyyy too much space in my boot and i have lots of rubbish behind. after about 1 month, i knew i HAD to fit a woofer. now that i've got a huge box behind, quite satisfied. but heck, i think i need a 2 channel/monoblock amp to push the woofer.

anyways, in you insist to not want the woofer, i think u should be reasonably happy with a new front component set(2 tweeters, 2 midbass, 2 passive crossover). keep your rear speakers as to give a bit of bass. that will give you a decent sounding system. i think RM1K (without HU) is enough for such setup. i think the 4750MP is about RM600. remaining RM400 isn't enuff to get you a decent component set.

if you decide to have a bit more kick and clarity, you can add a 2/4 channel amp to power up the components. that will set you back another RM600 to RM800 for a beginner one.

but frankly since u say u listen to a lot of rock, i think the woofer is inevitable. even more when you listen to hip hop. its a must! i've got the latest 50 cent album, the massacre and i must say the bass is fantastic!

xcheong

1,500 RPM
Mar 6, 2004
Visit site
yeah lar, that's why u must get my sounstream xtream component liao. damn good for beginner that loves rock. heheheh. no need amp to drive. HU is enuff.

tntdiablo

Oct 10, 2004
im selling the component new one for RM 550.....

mamamia

Apr 23, 2005
Thanks for the replies. Have looked through many topics here and notice not many ppl recommend Pioneer (most use Alpine which are v ex). Any reasons for that?

Am looking at getting a Pioneer DEH-4750MP (no amp/woofer) - any thoughts on this HU for SQ ? As I mentioned I'm no audiophile but would like crisp and clear sounds.

xcheong

1,500 RPM
Mar 6, 2004
Visit site
keep your current HU. don't change first. as long as it can play CD then can liao.

u want crisp clear sound, all u have to do is just install a component set at the front door. a component set consist of one pair midbass, one pair tweeters and one pair crossover. buy reputable brand. power the component set using HU first.
then invest on a subwoofer! its just as important as the front speaker. no subwoofer, no good sound larrrrrr. the difference wif and without sub is huge! just my opinion larrr.. without sub, anything plays from the front speaker sound so dull.

ijnek

500 RPM
Aug 19, 2004
Johor Bahru
Visit site
tis is my suggestion...
get the pioneer 7750 - abt rm1000
it will gives u more options if u wan to upgrade in future.
i have compare the specs of 4750 and it has oni 1 RCA pre-out for rear,in future u wan to upgrade n add amp also can't.

for ur front,u can add a set of component.
i think the price tat xcheong is selling the soundstream component seems reasonable.
but do check with him for details.

if u have no intention to add sub(like mi),i suggest u add a pair of 6x9 inch 3 way speakers at the rear.
intially,u will b missing out some fun,but add an amp n u r ready to rock.
dun expect others to hear u 1 street away,but tis setup should b able to keep u happy in ur car cabin.

it's veri similar to the setup that i have currently :)
c my signature :)
enjoy...

p.s
if u wan HU,pm mi :)

mamamia

Apr 23, 2005
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I want a player that can play MP3s, hence the upgrade to DEH-5750MP (thanks for pointing out the 1 RCA preout fact, ijnek...5750 has 3 now!)...hehe.

ijnek

500 RPM
Aug 19, 2004
Johor Bahru
Visit site
yap,the 5750 has 3...
how much r u paying for the 5750?...
y not spend a little more n get the 7750 from mi?
new 1 at rm1000.
initially,i was looking at the 5750 too,then i switch my mind n got the 7750.
:)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i wan to change my gbox from 4g15 m tu 4g91 a. do i need to put ecu and wayering semula? recently, i went to kedai potong at bentong, and they said, i have to put the ecu and rewayering also, but some of them said no need to do that. mana satu betul ni???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience