ICE scene in Msia

Kippo

Known Member

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
can i say it is dying off? market has shrunk?

hardly i see the dub dub dub dub dub dub cars going about already

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
seen it in tanjung harapan klang last few weeks...

still alive by indian group...got indian frens on my fb will doing this hobby..
LED, bodykit, flame exhaust, audio...

i never went to ICE competition before...so dont know how it goes currently...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
The ICE scene aren't dead. The dub dub dub aren't like everywhere we see at road side, or common scene pasar malam in KL.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I also lost touch after leaving my ex company.....(got sell ICE).....:hmmmm:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Used to spend more on ICE around 10-15yrs ago but not anymore. Now as long as loud and bass enough, then I'm fine already, no need high end speakers or big subs anymore. Better spend on other things nowadays.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The ICE scene isn't what it used to be. With new cars coming out with Bose / Dynoaudio / BO / Harmon Kardon / Rockford Fosqate as stock people are finding lesser reasons to upgrade their sound systems. And a lot of new cars have integrated steering and some even have optical connectivity that makes modification more difficult. It's not impossible (I know a shop that does replacement installs and nothing is affected and still fully functional) just that it's more difficult.

I think it was the BMW or the Cayenne that used optical connectivity even to the speakers and the amp powering them. That meant if these guys wanted to upgrade their systems, they either change the already-pretty good speakers or install a way more expensive setup that includes a digital processor or some form of optical input device. And these devices had to fool the cars ECU to think it's still all normal. etc.

Basically it's not the scene that's dead, it's the cars that's getting more sophisticated.

Unless you're talking about SPL scene, that one quite easy. Drive around Kepong on a weekend night and you'll bound to find a small group of SPL enthusiasts with their super loud UFO lit cars.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
BMW and Cayenne? Our Proton, T, H and N don't have so high end sets right? To me main issue could be the built in HU, but suppliers keep coming out with after market replacement to counter this, so it is up to the owner...:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
BMW and Cayenne? Our Proton, T, H and N don't have so high end sets right? To me main issue could be the built in HU, but suppliers keep coming out with after market replacement to counter this, so it is up to the owner...:driver:
Without meaning to sound like I'm biased, but as a previous Proton owner, I know for a fact that most of us local car owners don't have that much money or won't spend that much money on a sound system to plonk into the car. There are exceptions of course but majority will say "I got Perodua / Proton / xxxx and I have RM500 to spend. How to upgrade my sound system ah?"

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Without meaning to sound like I'm biased, but as a previous Proton owner, I know for a fact that most of us local car owners don't have that much money or won't spend that much money on a sound system to plonk into the car. There are exceptions of course but majority will say "I got Perodua / Proton / xxxx and I have RM500 to spend. How to upgrade my sound system ah?"
Not the RM10k system lah, but upgrade 3 to 4k got woh! I used to work in the company selling ICE too and if people no upgrade, company habis loh.....:rofl:

New car come out, dash supplier will come see us already.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
On the other hand, the prices of ICE product has becoming more affordable these days....
Double din units cost an arm and leg in the last 10 years....but now, a decent ones cost slightly more than RM1000, with much more capability.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
On the other hand, the prices of ICE product has becoming more affordable these days....
Double din units cost an arm and leg in the last 10 years....but now, a decent ones cost slightly more than RM1000, with much more capability.
Yup, you are right. Years ago was RM3k also have, nowadays RM1k plus. But then what level/category? SPL, competition, SQ or just like bro. 6UE5t mentioned loud enough got bass ok dy.....hhahhahahha:biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The ICE scene isn't what it used to be. With new cars coming out with Bose / Dynoaudio / BO / Harmon Kardon / Rockford Fosqate as stock people are finding lesser reasons to upgrade their sound systems. And a lot of new cars have integrated steering and some even have optical connectivity that makes modification more difficult. It's not impossible (I know a shop that does replacement installs and nothing is affected and still fully functional) just that it's more difficult.

I think it was the BMW or the Cayenne that used optical connectivity even to the speakers and the amp powering them. That meant if these guys wanted to upgrade their systems, they either change the already-pretty good speakers or install a way more expensive setup that includes a digital processor or some form of optical input device. And these devices had to fool the cars ECU to think it's still all normal. etc.

Basically it's not the scene that's dead, it's the cars that's getting more sophisticated.

Unless you're talking about SPL scene, that one quite easy. Drive around Kepong on a weekend night and you'll bound to find a small group of SPL enthusiasts with their super loud UFO lit cars.
Yes, this is spot on. The cars now are way more sophisticated and complicated than before hence not as easy to upgrade and play around with the ICE. Many of them also already got pretty decent ICE from the factory hence good enough for most people.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
atleast proton clarion unit is quite decent including the stock speaker...providing the owner know exactly how to tune the stock audio equalizer......

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, you are right. Years ago was RM3k also have, nowadays RM1k plus. But then what level/category? SPL, competition, SQ or just like bro. 6UE5t mentioned loud enough got bass ok dy.....hhahhahahha:biggrin:
Yeah, back in those days, all my cars had 1 or 2 subs in the trunk (JL Audio was my favorite), a multi-channel US branded amps of at least 500-700w rms, US/Euro brands front component speakers (like Morel, MB Quart, Soundstream when still US made etc2.) and at least Japanese rear speakers, HU with DSP, and branded wiring with all the glitzy gold platting (like Monster Cable or Streetwires).

Now, I settled with just HU with DSP, Kenwood front components, still crappy stock rear speakers, China made under-seat powered subs, and what ever std cheapo cables. Sound staging already can be at the front and got a bit of seat vibration then enough. :biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
speaker and head units are important.......but oso important is the sound proofing/deadening of the car. This could easily cost thousand of RM.