How to restore Headlamps to former glory?

SimonsayZ

Known Member
Dec 27, 2004
Puchong
I just polished my plastic projector headlamp (angel eyes). What happened actually is my headlamp's clear coat layer started drying up, causing the plastic to look foggy and got flaky effect. Really rough and ugly.

My steps require time and effort but it really works for clear plastic with damaged clear coat. :biggrin:

So what I did is:

Buy 1000 and 1200 grit sandpaper, Mequire plastx and liquid car wax. Cloth and wax sponge also needed.

Get ready a small bucket of water. Dip the sandpaper (1000grit 1st) on the water and sprinkle some water on the headlamp.

Put some liquid car wax on the headlight (start on a small area first) and start sanding the headlight. In between remember to add more wax and water. Also sand diagonally only, don't go vertical then circle. Otherwise it will look messy with many lines in many directions, not good.

Clean the headlight with cloth to see if the layer is removed. Repeat if require but make sure you don't sand too hard or use to much strength.

Once done use 1200 grit sandpaper with water and wax to smoothen the fine lines caused by the sandpaper.

Once done clean the headlight with dry cloth until all wax removed.
You will notice its foggy and blur but don't panic yet. :biggrin:

Now use the sponge and Mequire plastx and apply it on the headlight. Make sure the lamp is dry. This part require some effort. You need to polish it until it becomes shiny. Usually it will only take you 15mins. Don't forget to add more Plastx in between.

Just polish until it is shiny then leave it dry for like 15mins. Use a dry to cloth to wipe the headlight. You can redo this part as many times as you like until you are satisfied.

Next thing you know your headlight is like brand new. :biggrin:

For those with no damage clear coat, sanding is not required. Just use plastx directly. This product really works wonders.

Hope my technique works for your headlamp too. :)

This is after few days when i DIY my headlight.
http://imageshack.us

Last edited:

ronaldet

VauxRS
Nov 13, 2007
Puchong
www.facebook.com
i found tis way ages ago... use cookin oil..ez 2 get n wont spoilt te paint... wil wipe off te yellowish part bt if te stain fr inside then itz useless doin tat! The best way is wipe ur lamp whenever it gets wet n dirty...put sum oil on it so tat te plactic wont crack...

ealt

2,000 RPM
Dec 16, 2003
can you show us the "Mequire plastx" thing?thanks...

ealt

2,000 RPM
Dec 16, 2003
can get the MG website address..tx

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com

sephiaric

Known Member
Mar 7, 2007
www.youtube.com
The plastx really works? How much is it anyway?

Avanzato X4

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
Wilayah KL
www.daihatsu.co.jp
i just done my headlamp polished, of course the yellowish and the stain in removed, look more clear then b4, but don't compare with new 1.
1. MG PlastX liquid
2. No. 2000 sand paper (the only i use, will look better if using higher grade)
3. no. 2500 sand paper (very hard to get)
4. no. 3000 sand paper (very hard to get)
follow the step on the link below:
How To: PlastX Headlight Restoration (Step by w/ Pics) - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
Its work!!!

sapisuka_return

Known Member
May 3, 2008
Hello..
Read the Mr Brett method on his Supra. Nice hand jobs!! Since using the brake fluid seem really worked on the glass type head lamp, just wondering what is the simple way to restore the plastic head lamp?( Other than buy after market head lamp and replace)..If any, mind to share it here?

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Its true can work. I tried it in my mechanics shop on a Kancil and a old Kia Sephia. These 2 cars are notorious after 10 years its lights start to fog up and yellowing.

First the brake fuild WILL remove a layer of plactic. The cloth that we rubbed with removed the yellow stains. Because the lights were badly weathered down, we need to scrub harder. The big difference is, you can see the inside reflectors!

Next we poured water on them. The lights plastic fogged up moderately. And the surface is not shiny. BUT!! The reflector is still visible and the plastic is clearer and not yellow.

Later we used AUTOSOL Plastic Cleaner to finish up. Here we need to scrub the surface again. Now we can see the shine. And yje plastic is not fogged up anymore. We poured water on it and the cover does not fog or blur.

So this means you need a plastic cleaner/ polisher/ finisher to finish the job. The brake fluid CANNOT WORK ALONE! You can use whatever plastic conditioner liquid/ cream to maintain it. I haven't test out STP son of a gun, Armour All, PlasX and some other plastic conditioner. But Autosol Plastic cleaner works here.

Also i think using Autosol metal polish could actually be faster. I wish i could come by another car to test again. And with pictures. Its stupid of me i did not post pictures of the test here. Damn!!

SKYR

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
thanks for sharing, now i got brake fluid and autosol metal polish....maybe it"s work fine..:hmmmm:

Northiswara

2,000 RPM
Dec 21, 2005
got autosol plastic one?
hmm......... need to do some shopping at hardware shop.
how much u bought the autosol plastic?

alpah_hoe

May 15, 2005
Ipoh
hi all sifu's here...i wanted to ask if my headlamp inside is going blur n yellowish den how 2 diy it back?

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
guys, u might use autosol to make it shine, but it wont last long, the plastic that were rubbed off will return to yellowish even sooner than the first time in oem condition...the tiny scratch and holes on the plastic will catch the dust and the surface area become bigger.

the method we used to restore the heaadlamp is to scrap off the yellowish then we apply chemical on the surface to seal the tiny holes and ur plastic headlamp cover to something else, so it wont oxidized and weatherized so fast

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

early this morning at 8:45 my car alarm is ringing 2 times and i rushed down to my car since i stay at aprtmnt it takes me about 5 min to reach at my car. once i reached at my parking i saw 3 security guard were standing around my car, well i guess all my gadget are stolen. Luckly, only boost, oil temp, oil press and contral unit stolen. all the wiring for other gadget i.e.. boost controller, turbo timer n so on still there. the guard saw the thief, 2 malay guys with persona purple color reg...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience