How to reduce and improve on the sound of the door slamming?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
SF...dynamat is like those butyl mats that u stick onto the inner side of the door sheet metal. it'll make yr door metal thicker(in a way) and have a lower resonance frequency...imagine if u drop a piece of door sheet metal on the floor...will sound like *KLANG KLING KLONG* rite? now imagine if u stick something like a piece of rubber mat all over the door sheet metal and drop it on the floor...it'll sound like *THUD* cos the metal now is thicker n more solid mah. as far as i know, dynamat xtreme is the best and a box will cost about rm800-rm900 and should be enough for 4 doors. not sure what exactly is made out of but should be something like butyl...imagine thick thick tar?

the door rubber i was talking about is the rubber lining around the door edges to prevent water from coming in mah...the older the car, the less supple(remember the baby bumbum?) it gets loh...so the older the car, the more it sounds like tank door closing. if u ever noticed...new cars always have that *WHOOOMP* sound when close door....but old cars almost always have that *KA KLANG* sound when close door mah.

also no need worry about sticky mess the tapes leave behind...spray a little WD-40 on it..leave it a while then use yr fingernail to scrape it off....then use soap water to wash off the WD-40...kautim! any sticky mess left behind WD-40 oso can clean off...reminds me of 1 time...i drove over a chewing guy rite at the edge of my tyre....then the gum still fresh out of the mouth *yuck* so u can imagine the mess it made...the whole side of my car splattered with gum...my rims all kena and my tyre well all kena...sprayed WD-40 and wiped off slowly then wash off with soap water...no mess left at all...

and now to the most important part...the mini skirts...my fetish ler...u dun la remind me of mini skirts early early in the morning...summore is friday. a lot of miniskirts running around here ler. die la how to concentrate la now....

jack5703

Known Member
Mar 18, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My altis also got the hollow door sound but only for front doors.... rear door ok. Guess cause the front door is larger, more surface area for the sound to resonate? lol.

Anyone got idea ? only dynamat can solve > :bawling:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
arturo....so your door feel tighter huh...like virgin hehe...

SF..
yeah after a while the tape will eventually rip off...but u just change it...
follow arturo's method........for hatchbacks, sometimes will hear some squeeky sound at the rear...actually its coming from the rear boot....after put the electrical tape, sound dissapears.....

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Danz....really like virgin..dowan let go wooor...i put too much on my passenger side n from outside cant open hahahah

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Hahahaha~~~stuck...cannot take out need to admit to hospital oh....Wakakakaka....

So now tighter already when you close the door you should say....Oh yeah~~so tight...Hahahahaha....

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
arturo...ahahaa...u start by putting sikit2 1st........if still not virgin u put summore....
if put too much become like u lo....stuck ...hehe..
:rofl: Danz...sori yah but when i accidentaly read yr post as

"u start by putting sikit2 1st........if still virgin u put summore....
if put too much become like u lo....stuck ...hehe..
"

i missed reading the "NOT" then my brain straight think kotor liau wakakakakak

Hahahaha~~~stuck...cannot take out need to admit to hospital oh....Wakakakaka....

So now tighter already when you close the door you should say....Oh yeah~~so tight...Hahahahaha....
u see...TR oso aredy start otak kuning waakkakakak :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"oh yeah~~so tight..."

Attachments

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Danz, just tell arturo to relax then after soft already then take out.....I've read in newspaper before those who got caught in surprise while doing their 'stuff' always end up cannot come out...Hahahaha...

SO the tape has many usage....if next time not tight then use the tape to tape your lil bro sure will become tight....but after finish have to remove......OUCH~~~~

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Danz:
Lolz! Got news before ma...too tight and got stucked..have to admit hospital to removed it :rofl:

Btw, my car door the sound that sound like milo tin a bit is left front passenger door...the rest sounds okay...just normal...

But, if stick those tape, when u open the door, ppl see ma very ugly lo?

Arturo:
Got any photos on how a dynamat look like? Cuz I checked before the price for the rubber lining is around RM200+ by UMW...so roughly add up also almost same price as Dynamat..and I think if change new rubber lining will still have that new door closing sound? *Whoompp*? :rofl:

I still have that sound but not as good as new la...now only front left passenger door got *KA KLANG* sound...cialat. Rubber still okay but sound like tat adi...right back passenger door rubber not so good and peeling off adi but still sounds better...

So, only friday have mini skirts running around? :hmmmm: Nvm la...got mini skirts to see only can "WAKE" us up a bit and more active during work :rofl:

jack5703:
What's the condition of your rubber lining for the front doors bro? Mine driver side still sound okay but passenger side got slight tin sound adi...

Read what the Bros above said, due to the car's age, the rubber will be thinner and thinner...need to change or add dynamat or have the DIY style that DanzEterna mentioned...taped the "U" Ring of the door to have a bit of those virgin feel..

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
TR...not terbalik ar? when kena tangkap basah will automatically come out cos sudden shrinkage mah :rofl:

Danz...no need hospital la...got doctor arturo on call...push open from inside, take blade n cut the "virgin enhancing plaster"(registered trademark of Danz), then paste slightly thinner "virgin enhancing plaster" then TADA! got fresh virgin feel to it liau...

SF...try go www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_dynamat_xtreme.html and here's the pic

boeytan got sell if not mistaken in the ICE section but that was a long time ago...the door lining rubber pulak...better dun change if nothing wrong. is quite expensive. i wanted to change mine but was told new original is RM190 for front driver's door only!

if it's only 1 door n u still have that *whoomp* sound maybe yr door lock mechanisme aredy got problem or maybe longgar like Danz say? try to put his virgin enhancing tape la. cant really see la. the [ is only a small piece of metal at middle of the B and C pillars...

today tuesday la...no miniskirts...all oso wear pants. purchasing there a lot la but different office hahahah so cant cuci mata :rofl:

Nov 24, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
In my ex-Kancil, I lined the area which touches the door rubber lining with window rubber seal.

The rubber seal is sold in hardware store or even supermarket for purpose of keeping draft from coming through house window gap. They look like a semi circle tubing with double sided tape on one side. Due to constant heat and contact with the door seal, the double sided tape may not last long. You may need to use some contact glue or stronger adhesive to secure it. :joyman:

In addition to that, you may also need to do "deaden" your door panel. If Dynamat is too expensive, you may use bitumen strips. The type used to repair leak in zink roof. Alternatively, spray the inner panel with bitumen spray.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
In my ex-Kancil, I lined the area which touches the door rubber lining with window rubber seal.

The rubber seal is sold in hardware store or even supermarket for purpose of keeping draft from coming through house window gap. They look like a semi circle tubing with double sided tape on one side. Due to constant heat and contact with the door seal, the double sided tape may not last long. You may need to use some contact glue or stronger adhesive to secure it. :joyman:

In addition to that, you may also need to do "deaden" your door panel. If Dynamat is too expensive, you may use bitumen strips. The type used to repair leak in zink roof. Alternatively, spray the inner panel with bitumen spray.
bro..does the rubber strips look something like this?

and yah...i saw bitumen strips on sale in hardware shops but those are in thin width strips and is quite heavy. i've heard of bitumen spray on deadeners but havent found any hardware shops selling...u know where to get? i feel for doors...these sprays are the best method...but must make sure the drain hole at the bottom dont get covered or rust will start forming on the inside since water cant flow out...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ermm..this sounds kinda complicated..a bit confused liao....so you are saying buy a window rubber seal and attached it to the car's rubber lining? which part of the rubber lining? just exactly on top of it?

Bitumen strips...hmm...all these got to DIY is kinda hard...later do wrong then door can't even close really cialat :rofl:

Which drain hole do u mean Arturo? U mean the hole of the stripes?

Btw, u can always walk to the other department to cuci eyes a bit ma...when u r asked,
Colleague: "What are you doing here? Looking for someone"
Arturo: "Oh no...just passing by cuz eyes are kinda sore adi due to facing the pc too much"
Colleague:Oh...with all the mini skirts around, it will do good to ur eyes. :top:"

:rofl:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Ermm..this sounds kinda complicated..a bit confused liao....so you are saying buy a window rubber seal and attached it to the car's rubber lining? which part of the rubber lining? just exactly on top of it?

Bitumen strips...hmm...all these got to DIY is kinda hard...later do wrong then door can't even close really cialat :rofl:

Which drain hole do u mean Arturo? U mean the hole of the stripes?

Btw, u can always walk to the other department to cuci eyes a bit ma...when u r asked,
Colleague: "What are you doing here? Looking for someone"
Arturo: "Oh no...just passing by cuz eyes are kinda sore adi due to facing the pc too much"
Colleague:Oh...with all the mini skirts around, it will do good to ur eyes. :top:"

:rofl:
first i get caught browsing thru Felixia's thread by my boss...then now u want me go ular around the office looking at chabohs meh...die la...this SF very bad influence ler :rofl:

very hard to explain where to put the rubber strips...but actualy if yr car original rubber strips are good...u no need to add on oso cos the ori strips aredy much thicker than those u buy outside. is just sort of put double layer(lets say side by side with the ori rubber strips) so that it further reduces wind n outside noises. cant comment on how effective la cos i never pasang myself b4.

the drain hole is at the bottom of yr door...u know sometimes water will get into the door cavity mah from wound down windows la or something like that...if u spray the bitumen spray too much n ter-cover the drain hole, then the water kenot flow out at the botom mah...then water takung n u will have a swimming pool in yr door :biggrin:. later u go home...u open yr car door wide wide...then u look at the under side of yr door...see can find some holes at the bottom or not...thats the drain holes loh. but then...i'm basing this on my car la...maybe new cars have different methods of draining the water out so dun go drill a hole if yr car no hole ar :rofl:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
arturo lucky nothing serious...

last time ive heard about injection foam into the door panels...something like that...
anyone can recall? bout 2-3 yrs ago it was hot....now no....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
first i get caught browsing thru Felixia's thread by my boss...then now u want me go ular around the office looking at chabohs meh...die la...this SF very bad influence ler :rofl:

very hard to explain where to put the rubber strips...but actualy if yr car original rubber strips are good...u no need to add on oso cos the ori strips aredy much thicker than those u buy outside. is just sort of put double layer(lets say side by side with the ori rubber strips) so that it further reduces wind n outside noises. cant comment on how effective la cos i never pasang myself b4.

the drain hole is at the bottom of yr door...u know sometimes water will get into the door cavity mah from wound down windows la or something like that...if u spray the bitumen spray too much n ter-cover the drain hole, then the water kenot flow out at the botom mah...then water takung n u will have a swimming pool in yr door :biggrin:. later u go home...u open yr car door wide wide...then u look at the under side of yr door...see can find some holes at the bottom or not...thats the drain holes loh. but then...i'm basing this on my car la...maybe new cars have different methods of draining the water out so dun go drill a hole if yr car no hole ar :rofl:
:laugh: you are really entertained me a lot today :rofl:
Made me laugh non-stop :rofl:

Aiyo, mana uh bad influence..good things I share with you and the rest ma :biggrin:
U also enjoyed Felixia photos ma...hehe! Will show u some Carace photos also so that u can show ur boss different photos at least won't kena la hehe!

Lolz! :rofl: btw, when u kena caught by ur boss, what did he say and which photos were you viewing? Lingerie ones arr? :hmmmm:

Drilling surely a big "NO" to my ride. Except spoiler no choice la...but bodykit no drilling accepted. Damn ugly and is like a one way and no return way of doing things. Will check and see where is that drain hole u mentioned...maybe all water drained out from exhaust for new cars :thefinger: :laugh:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
:laugh: you are really entertained me a lot today :rofl:
Made me laugh non-stop :rofl:

Aiyo, mana uh bad influence..good things I share with you and the rest ma :biggrin:
U also enjoyed Felixia photos ma...hehe! Will show u some Carace photos also so that u can show ur boss different photos at least won't kena la hehe!

Lolz! :rofl: btw, when u kena caught by ur boss, what did he say and which photos were you viewing? Lingerie ones arr? :hmmmm:

Drilling surely a big "NO" to my ride. Except spoiler no choice la...but bodykit no drilling accepted. Damn ugly and is like a one way and no return way of doing things. Will check and see where is that drain hole u mentioned...maybe all water drained out from exhaust for new cars :thefinger: :laugh:
the big problem is ar...my boss is a lady ler. like datin pattern 1...lucky she didnt see the FY pics or i sure loose my head liau. it was my big boss that saw...my boss punya boss which in a way i oso reporting to him also(very complicated). he was the 1 who saw mah but he didnt comment anything la(guy n guy...understand la hahahah). anyway...not kena tangkap with the lingerie pics...the normal pics oni..lucky. CK pics i open halfway oni then look behind...nobody looking baru i scroll down. very tiring u know :rofl:

dun drill drill la...wait drill drill rust pulak. even more headache.

Danz...i oso remember seeing that foam spray but i think is not for door cavity...is expanding foam type rite? got some rumours say the expanding foam spray will trap some moisture inside and cause rusting in the long term..newer expanding foam sprays dun have this problem la...how to control the foam expansion la? later expand too much then window cant go down...

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9