how to improve steering stability?

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
hi,

im having problem where my steering in the kelisa will tend to turn on its own when crossing uneven road, it would not stay straight and tight, it seems loose and quite dangerous when im driving fast

a tyre shop told me its the freeplay at steering bush, i just got it replaced so he suggested to wrap the bush making it thicker so void will be filled, less freeplay. but they will have to bring down steering rack or something like that which costs labor of rm150

as added info, im using hwl adjustable and some ppl told me that could cause the problem too, but i dont really get it

am i in the right way?

Cheongxp

Known Member
Oct 22, 2010
Selangor
Lower arm, bush or CVJ related item problem ?

Btw, my ride also same & my foreman comment was :
1). Original specification have freeplay at Lower Arm area, need to get it fixed permanently.
2). Rim too much offset, before i change to this rim, I remember that better feel, i do test drive compare, wtf another same car but 205/16 handling is better than mine 215/17.
3). Could be tyre air too much, pump a bit less than specification, but result was tyre thread finish faster but comfornt is better.

KEE aka Storm

Known Member
Nov 22, 2009
Subang Jaya
hi,

im having problem where my steering in the kelisa will tend to turn on its own when crossing uneven road, it would not stay straight and tight, it seems loose and quite dangerous when im driving fast

a tyre shop told me its the freeplay at steering bush, i just got it replaced so he suggested to wrap the bush making it thicker so void will be filled, less freeplay. but they will have to bring down steering rack or something like that which costs labor of rm150

as added info, im using hwl adjustable and some ppl told me that could cause the problem too, but i dont really get it

am i in the right way?

you are experiencing Bump-Steer, changing to after market shocks changing the ride height will cause unnecessary bump-steer, either you set the car to original ride height with factory recommended alignment setting, or you get a good alignment shop to give you custom alignment setting(base on your preference) to improve the condition, or you can send your car to RCS in sunway ask them to make you bump-steer kit which will solve your problem.

btw, RCS kelisa rally car is damn fast bro, and the boss, Nanda is a very friendly chap to chat with ;)

lameshit

Sep 17, 2011
Johor Bahru
Brake pump jamp, armbush, as well as steering rack will affect the vehicle stability, I have similar problems too but mine all stock just because I have cut off my original spring result in this effect

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
you are experiencing Bump-Steer, changing to after market shocks changing the ride height will cause unnecessary bump-steer, either you set the car to original ride height with factory recommended alignment setting, or you get a good alignment shop to give you custom alignment setting(base on your preference) to improve the condition, or you can send your car to RCS in sunway ask them to make you bump-steer kit which will solve your problem.

btw, RCS kelisa rally car is damn fast bro, and the boss, Nanda is a very friendly chap to chat with ;)
thanks for that, ive never encountered the term bump steer before so this is new, and RCS website looks really good and promising with services provided, probably can service shocks there too right? im going to check out the place soon

what is bump steer kit by the way? please enlighten me :)

KEE aka Storm

Known Member
Nov 22, 2009
Subang Jaya
im not good in explaining, you can try reading this link >>
Bump Steer - L o t u s S e v e n C l u b

If your car tends to self steer after it has hit a bump in the road even though you have not changed input on the steering wheel, you could (there are other reasons !) be suffering from excessive bump steer. It is caused by the steering rack being positioned at the wrong height in the chassis relative to the point on the road wheel upright where the track rod end fits. In standard spec cars this rack height will have been decided by the designer and will usually be right but if you have a car whose suspension has been modified in any way you may have a problem in this area.

^copy & paste from the link^

and here's a video on youtube,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKJAukSZRT0

Last edited:

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
thats helpful, i get the general picture, thanks. what if i want to custom a bump steer kit at RCS? any estimation of cost? i dont think got aftermarket bump steer kit for kelisa, i saw one for neo R3 if i was not mistaken

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear sifus,
any idea if i could DIY a timer for the air-cond fan to spin after i turn off the engine?
my idea was to cool down the engine/engine bay with just only the air-cond fan... means like after u turn off ur engine, of course la the engine compartment will be hot, so if there's such thing as a timer to make ur fan to spin and blow air into ur engine compartment to cool down ur system? :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience