• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
this topic just for automatic car,sorry for manual car^^
when we stuck at traffic jam,wat gear trammision should we put.i mean the gear P,N,R,N,L1,L2...letz say i c a guy driving in frt of me,from the dashbox meter which locate at center such like new kancil n toyota vios,i saw many ppl like to push to N(which mean free gear)when jam and push D for moving,keep this motion continuos several time,i think wat he did is protect gear box,if manual i think yes,but for automatic,is it really protect or harm to gearbox?so far i hear so many ppl have so many explanation,need some expert to tell

anvies

Known Member
Feb 26, 2005
Visit site
it is turn to D and step on the brake when you stop the car, such as jam and waiting traffic lights, its better for the automatic transmission gearbox, wont die faster. But if you stopping for a quite sometimes like waiting people in the car of course you will turn to P or N and pull the handbrake up =P. I watched taiwan's automobile documentary it said so.

Shanashi

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
there was a write up on star abt traffic jams for auto tranny...unless you are stopping for more than a minute then you should engage to N or else its not necessary cuz you will be only increasing wear and tear or the gearbox....

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
Originally posted by anvies@Apr 6 2005, 21:47
it is turn to D and step on the brake when you stop the car, such as jam and waiting traffic lights, its better for the automatic transmission gearbox, wont die faster. But if you stopping for a quite sometimes like waiting people in the car of course you will turn to P or N and pull the handbrake up =P. I watched taiwan's automobile documentary it said so.
[snapback]874754[/snapback]​
if continuos changing gear D to N when traffic jam,got harmful to gearbox or not?

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
like Shanashi said .. its good and also affects ure brake pad .. its better free up gear position while more than a minute.

care is more important rather than blaming car later if got prob ;)

cheers!

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
but i feels that its also for safety la...
lets say...if u put at D n stepin on brake....
but if u accidentally let go the brake how??...ur car will move forward n hit the front car....unless u r a veree careful driver n step on the brakes real hard...
heehee....
just my 2 cents...
anyway i drivin manual la...so no prob

anvies

Known Member
Feb 26, 2005
Visit site
yea calvin is right... you have to careful lah... dont careless suddenly wan to bow down your body and pick up something that you dropped and end up forgot and released your brake and the car go front hit the front car... these incident i watched many times already... my cousin sis and my friend experience before... haizz... but sometimes i also tired stepping and waiting for a long queue or long traffic lights... so i put to N at last and rest my leg... cannot tahan if every stop like that.

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
I've ever saw questions posted on car magz before, well the car magz crew replied that switching N to and from D continously WILL increase wear and tear instead of just pressing the brake. Auto tranny is designed to work in conjunction with pressing brake, so it wouldn't "spoil" the tranny even if u press the brake forever. And since idling wouldn't really generate enuff force in the torque converter to spoil anything. But safety and tiredness, switching to N is better imo.

AXXeLL

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Subang
Visit site
Heard this from my friend who is a taxi driver. He said, auto tranny also got clutch... so if the gear is position on D... the gear is engaged, but ur holding it with ur brakes.. it will ware off ur clutch faster... so its better to position it on N when stopping... i always did that when i use to drive my auto last time... hehehe... now convert to manual adi.. ehheeh

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
Originally posted by Shanashi@Apr 6 2005, 21:49
there was a write up on star abt traffic jams for auto tranny...unless you are stopping for more than a minute then you should engage to N or else its not necessary cuz you will be only increasing wear and tear or the gearbox....
[snapback]874757[/snapback]​
exactly what i read.. and that's what i do too.. :)

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
yes .. correct .. but there's something called 'handbrake' if im not mistaken .. i think good driver quite well playable with steering, gears, brakes, acceleration and .. handbrakes as well ..

anyway i do drive auto (my brother's accord) and manual (mycar) very often .. ;) whenever i stop no matter for awhile or long .. gear N and handbrakes ;)

cheers!

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
I usually select N for long stops (>2mins) but leave it to D for traffic lights or bumper to bumper crawls.

My A/T is already 5 years old since the transplant and still working strong but it seems that it is about time for a rebuild.

johnson_goh86

Known Member
Sep 3, 2004
Visit site
erm.. i think put it at D and step brake all the way better.. you`ll get the hang of it after a while.. better wear out ur brake pads then ur tranny.. coz the cost is way different..
just my 2 centz

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
well, do u feel some forward force when u r in D when idling?? its because auto tranny just transfer the force directly to wheel when in D.. holding it in D while pressing the brake to cancel the forward force during a long stop is actually making the clutch work OT becoz it is slipping excessively thus shorten its life.. But changing from N to D will also will coz slip and wear out the clutch.. so the best solution is follow like sanashi recon loo..

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
Originally posted by AccordRacing+Apr 6 2005, 21:50 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AccordRacing @ Apr 6 2005, 21:50 )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-anvies@Apr 6 2005, 21:47
if continuos changing gear D to N when traffic jam,got harmful to gearbox or not?
[snapback]874761[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

When you shift from D to N there are many things which happen in your gearbox, remember your auto box is made up of 3 gears, a planet gear, sun gear and moon gear, the mechanism to engage and disengage these gears will wear out more if you keep shifting from D to N.

Leaving your car in D will drain more petrol and wear your pads but that's much cheaper than having to replace your auto box in a few years time... no?

tajulsans:

In an auto gear box there's no clutch, what is used is a torque converter. There's no friction when it 'slips'. Basically a torque converter is just 2 turbines and oil. 1 turbine will be turned by your engine and it will cause the oil to spin in the same direction which will be caught by the 2nd turbine and it spins too. When you step on the brake and leave it in D, one of the turbine keeps spinning but the other doesnt and the result is the oil gets 'stirred' up continuously and that's all because there's no friction. It's just like if you go to a hydroelectric power plant, if you jam the turbines at the waterfall the water will just keep falling over them but there's no 'friction' coz it rubbing liquid against metal.

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
Originally posted by cyclonite+Apr 7 2005, 22:15 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyclonite @ Apr 7 2005, 22:15 )</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by AccordRacing@Apr 6 2005, 21:50
<!--QuoteBegin-anvies
@Apr 6 2005, 21:47

[snapback]874761[/snapback]​
When you shift from D to N there are many things which happen in your gearbox, remember your auto box is made up of 3 gears, a planet gear, sun gear and moon gear, the mechanism to engage and disengage these gears will wear out more if you keep shifting from D to N.

Leaving your car in D will drain more petrol and wear your pads but that's much cheaper than having to replace your auto box in a few years time... no?

tajulsans:

In an auto gear box there's no clutch, what is used is a torque converter. There's no friction when it 'slips'. Basically a torque converter is just 2 turbines and oil. 1 turbine will be turned by your engine and it will cause the oil to spin in the same direction which will be caught by the 2nd turbine and it spins too. When you step on the brake and leave it in D, one of the turbine keeps spinning but the other doesnt and the result is the oil gets 'stirred' up continuously and that's all because there's no friction. It's just like if you go to a hydroelectric power plant, if you jam the turbines at the waterfall the water will just keep falling over them but there's no 'friction' coz it rubbing liquid against metal.
[snapback]877568[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

well, there is clutch in the auto tranny.. i might be wrong on the technical of the way it work but there are clutches inside.. its not located between engine to gbox connection but inside the gearbox it self..

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
yes cyclonite ure very true.. i think better .. stuck in jam or stop .. put in N and pull dat handbrake .. N oso prob.. D oso prob. eishh .. AccordRacing dude.. i think u change to manual car better ! no problem like this wan .. thats y i prefer manual .. and my car is manual .. not a tranny ..

;)

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by cyclonite@Apr 7 2005, 22:15

you dont wear your pads when you stop.
you only wear them when you creep

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
i think here already got answer

i rather waste my brake pad nor harmful to my gearbox,my driving style,i seldom put in N,coz lazy,but seem now its good for it,me open this topic just for discussion,sakuraguy,may be u misunderstand me,i am not blame autotranny but this is good for those who don know,coz they continue shifting D,N, they thought can protect their gearbox but seem not!10s to cyclonite lets us know,some more autotranny really seldom use h/brake for a pause,just step on brake also difficult?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I just installed a Autogauge water temp gauge on my Iswara to replace the old 1(die already)...

then after some normal driving... i found that the needle is pointing between 90c n 100c...

is this optimum temprerature?

i scared wait rev some more my engine has to "enter factory"..

thx
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience