How to choose engine oil?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
im planning to do engine flush & decarbon which band to buy for best cleaning job?
Using chemical flush or normal oil flush.
Chemical flush is to add a can of cleaners to old oil and let idle before draining.
Normal oil flush means getting some light viscosity oil like straight 30 or even 20 weight, do an oil change, run for a while then drain it.

Read more here...
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/do-it-yourself-garage/163725-diy-oil-change-and-flush.html

Comanche

Banned
Apr 23, 2014
Port Klang
Currently, I'm using Bardahl Fully Synthetic 5W-30 for my Proton Persona. Next engine oil change I wanna try Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 0W-40.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
To keep your campro quiet......:driver::smokin:
That kind of vicosity usually only recommend to cars more than 10 years old no bro?
I didn't know proton set that is just to make sure the campro quiet. Is indeed noisy lol

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That kind of vicosity usually only recommend to cars more than 10 years old no bro?
I didn't know proton set that is just to make sure the campro quiet. Is indeed noisy lol
20w-50 was the only multi grade oil to use those days.....hahahahahaha:biggrin:

Oilfieldac

Nov 14, 2012
Singapore
Most of the time, car manufacturer do not know what condition are you facing at site. The manufacturer recommendation should be taken as a guide , not a must follow advice. Generally, newer car with closer gap tolerance between cylinder wall and piston uses a thinner lube oil...while older cars with wider gap tolerance uses a thicker oil to compensate the sealing.

Between mineral oil and synthetic oil, my preference is mineral oil. Though synthetic oil have the durability over the mineral oil, one should also take consideration of the airborne silica sand(silica is the most abundant material in our soil) pick up while driving on the road ... often these airborne silica are so tiny micron in size that they passes through the air filter. Silica particle are hard and can cause abrasion in metal moving parts. Imagine you have a synthetic oil that you drive for 10,000km ... you would have accumulated much airborne silica particle in the system than a mineral oil that requires you to drive only 5,000km.

Frequent oil change = frequent contaminant removal = lesser abrasion wear to your engine system.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually there is nothing written that full synthetic oil suppose to have longer oil change except those made specially for extended use. Most of these long oil change period came about because users thinking that FS are better and more costly so a longer OCI will cover the initial cost. If you ask the oil manufacturer the OCI of their oil, they will tell you to refer to your car manufacturer recommendation.....hahhahaha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, I am planning to take my diploma in automotive/motorsport. I understand that overseas studies is better, but I dont have that much money so I wish to know some good schools here. Im more of a hands on than book/theory person. I did some search, and so far TOC (the otomotive college) seems like the choice i would make, as it has motorsport course. But than again I also have read some reviews of it which is doubting me. I was wondering whether there is any other college that provide the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience