Hood scoops...good or bad?

b00n

3,000 RPM
Aug 16, 2005
KL
haha....though the Acsent want is just a dummy stick on...

anyway, it's better for the hood hole to direct the flow towards your air filter.......
and yes........water flow towards the front part and not seeping towards the hot engines

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
Sato said:
Yeah...from what i saw....last time

The front bonnet air vent actually is not juz a hole to let hot air flow out.

Under the hole...it got another plate....something like aluminium plate....to cover the hole...but not sealed....so...watever water drops into the vent...the water actually fallen to the aluminium plate...and the plate which sit quite steep....allow the water to flow down to the front of the car....which finally goes to the radiator....therefore....even u spray water to the air vent on the bonnet...water can't get to the engine....
icic... means this technique is only applicable to those inverted hood scoop la??... if those like mira scoop, sure got water enter??....

i also wanna do air scoop on my bonnet ler... but got few things bugging me.... water seeping through and jpj problem.....

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
IC stands for intercooler.

actually, hood vent sole purpose is to feed air to top mounted intercoolers like in Skyline, Scooby WRX and Corolla Supercharger (trueno, levin).

that way will reduce the risks of IC being pierced from flying stones and things like that.

hood vents do actually spoil wind flow and aerodynamic efficiency, so if the purpose does not increase horse power but only for looks...think twice! :D

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
many petrol head are more interested to improve the look of their car...by putting the coop or vent.

Aerodynamic efficiency wise, not too sure abt the vent/scoop item.....it's realatively small in size and if driving 110km/hr in Malaysia road, this factor may not be substantial...unless someone mod the car to achieve F1 ground effect, or have some wind tunnel test centre to justify/check the aerodynamic quality.....

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
bo0n said:
anyway, it's better for the hood hole to direct the flow towards your air filter.......
and yes........water flow towards the front part and not seeping towards the hot engines
wat happen if raining n water kena suck at ur airfilter?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
i dont think aerodynamic is a big factor to consider for street cars ler.... we aint gonna drive vr fast.... if drive fast enough, we wont gonna need air scoop to feed air into the engine bay.... running air will be rushed into the engine bay at that speed.....

agree with zan that most cars with hood scoop are equiped with top mounted IC.... they dont need to worry about water splashing in as IC is water proof.... they work better if water is splashed on them.....

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
oooooooooooooo...

then wat about those lil hood scoops for the airfilters? heheheh... or its not recommended ?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
nitrus said:
oooooooooooooo...

then wat about those lil hood scoops for the airfilters? heheheh... or its not recommended ?
i thinks its the same...

if its a small scoop, better make it nice... or else, it will look like dummy type and look vr ahbeng ler... haha... no offence... last time my coursemate done to his corolla... damn freaking ahbeng....

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
for your n/a car, the only reason i can think of why you need an air intake on the bonnet, is purely cosmetic. it serves no purpose. you're better off intalling vents that take hot air out of your engine bay, rather than feed more air in. you can see good examples on the bonnets of EVO 1, 2 and 3.

Sato

2,000 RPM
Jul 28, 2004
I think the car front bumper get some holes drilled...then it serves more air intake...hehehhehee....way better than bonnet air vent ~

Personally....i dislike having the bonnet get some holes la.....not to offence...but some ppl in malaysia....think differently.....their hand so itchy that they stick those bubble gums.....throw soft drinks.....even papers....like those money borrowers card into it.....

Juz terrible....and u juz can't check it everytime u wanna drive the car....

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
gary said:
for your n/a car, the only reason i can think of why you need an air intake on the bonnet, is purely cosmetic. it serves no purpose. you're better off intalling vents that take hot air out of your engine bay, rather than feed more air in. you can see good examples on the bonnets of EVO 1, 2 and 3.
u mean those which looks like nettings?

seriously if raining it won't masuk engine bay ke ?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
gary said:
u mean those inverted air scoop that guides hot air out of the engine bay??....

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This is done on a Persona Elegance.

Difficulty: 5/10
Time: Took me 2 hours because virgin. You will be fine with 1 hour.

Yes, another 20,000km. Time to get dirty!
Perodua Dexron III is only RM18/L. You only need 1L. Even less if you choose to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience