HID Upgrade

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Sorry i started this thread here because I couldn't find any categories for accessories. And I think, this can be considered a light modification?

I just want to ask anyone to share their experience if they have ever used a H4 single beam HID system.

I am planning to retrofit a HID system into my AE111. Yes they are using projector assembly. But I have spent some time researching and I could come up with a glare shield. It wouldn't harm oncoming driver's eyes and is very pleasing actually.

I couldn't make the decision on to whether to get a double beam (hi and lo is HID) or single beam (lo is HID, high is halogen). Initially I wanted to use the single beam and actually already bought it. But I am afraid that I will lose my highlight ability as the halogen highlight in these types are just for changing colour. Not for flashing high beam Just for turning the colour to yellow. Then I decided to get the double beam system which is much more expensive because I need the "real" highlight function.

But just now when I tested my friend's single beam, it looks like his highlight can function properly as a high beam. Which means it actually flashes higher. So I just want to ask anyone here who has ever used a single beam system, does the highlight really actually work and a "high beam"? Or just for changing colour?

Please advice, thank you!

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
really hope u'll install a glare guard cos its really irritating to get beamed by HID esp on dark trunk roads...totally loose vision for few seconds till the car passes...

anyway...i think the only difference is pricing...but have read in many places ppl complaining bout the magnetic H4 failing after sometime(the magnetic servo?just guessing). try contact yeehau86. he knows his HID stuff...

Last edited:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
in my opinion, actually single beam is enough, as we seldom use high beam anyway. HID itself the output is already bright enough in terms of vision at night.

What arturo said is right. Based on what I know, the magnetic Bi-Xenon HID sets have the tendency to deflect more often because HID is not meant to turn on and off frequently (we are talking about aftermarket products, not sure about OEM).

I used to install single beam on my car last time, what I would say is the high beam a.k.a yellow light you are referring to is not bright, it is true just colour only. But I usually only use it when there is a road block or a patrol car in front. After that, just switch back into HID and drive. My suggestion is go for single beam is enough, in terms of cost and reliability it is better than Bi-Xenon type. If the single beam fails, get another set as it is cheap nowadays compare to the old days.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Single beam arr... But I don't think I can give up the highlight dude.... Too use to having it. I always use to flash off drivers in front of me when they are driving at 60km/h on the right lane. It happen a lot in kk. A lot stupid drivers. I don't usually use horn the first time because it is a bit impolite. And I always need to go to and from my gf house. She stays inside some kind of kampung where the nice SESB subsidiary of TNB do not provide street lights. So I usually use highlight there to illuminate the road further.

In kk, I think the single beam that let you change colour is no use already. I have heard of stories where the jpj now will spot you from far. If they see you change colour, they will ask you to flash your lights when you reach them. Sigh~ That's why I plan to get the magnetic HId but with 4300k colour. So they don't kacau so much.

Are those magnetic stuff really that unreliable? Also I want to ask, lets say one day if my magnetic bulb burned out. Can I get the normal HID bulb and fix it to the magnetic thing? I mean reuse the magnetic mechanism. Just change the bulb.

@Arturo: Don't worry bro... I hate those drivers who cause glare too. I know how is feels. That is why I research and come up with a glare shield.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Actually, single beam you can make as flashing with timed relays, just like those in Super GT. If you see those GT cars when they flash, the lights on both side went on and off independently. Very cool actually. I don't know how they make it

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Actually, single beam you can make as flashing with timed relays, just like those in Super GT. If you see those GT cars when they flash, the lights on both side went on and off independently. Very cool actually. I don't know how they make it
Hmm... But What I am looking for is flash high-low. Not on off... Haha... Flash high is so that people in front will notice you. Usefull for emergency and stuff... On-off-on-off is not good for HID bulbs lerr...

Are those magnetic HID really so unreliable? Anybody can share experience?

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
I see, I dunno how the traffic flows in KK. That is the problem with magnetic, coz keep on-off-on-off will shorten the life span of the bulb. I haven't heard before ppl replace the hi beam, you can try asking the foreman but I don't think it is possible. One question: since you said you have retrofited a projector into your AE111, the bulb base still is H4? Weird case bro, usually common one is H1, D2S/D2R, or H7.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I see, I dunno how the traffic flows in KK. That is the problem with magnetic, coz keep on-off-on-off will shorten the life span of the bulb. I haven't heard before ppl replace the hi beam, you can try asking the foreman but I don't think it is possible. One question: since you said you have retrofited a projector into your AE111, the bulb base still is H4? Weird case bro, usually common one is H1, D2S/D2R, or H7.
Sorry!!! I mabuk lerr... I'm not using projector assembly. I'm using reflector. Typed wrong... I'm using reflector that's why I will use a glare shield.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

gonna use wat type of spray to color my hear cover?wat should i mention during those process?got the word on top,how to prevent to spray on it?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience