GTR stock pistons..

azrilizwan

Jan 15, 2008
Hi you'll

Can someone give an opinions about how strong the stock pistons and block for GTR34? How much horsepower it can takes in a safer limits? Is it using tomei camshaft 270degrees is too much for stock GTR pistons? pls help..

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
What spec of the camshaft?Duration (270) and lift? High spec may need you to change stronger valve guide/spring and skim for valve lift clearance.Need check for shim too so would not hit the piston.
Piston would not be a problem for camshaft upgrade (30-50HP). Around max <500hp?Depend on your engine compression and A/F ratio tuning.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Stock pistons and block just under 500atw no problems as long as you have the supporting mods (cooling, fueling, etc). Don't just bolt on a big turbo and hope for the best! :driver:

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
Just a question, what parts are required to upgrade before capacity up to 2.8? I've heard many ppl said gtr weakness is from OIL, so do we need to upgrade the oil pan, oil pump, or fueling system before make it to 2.8? And which 2.8 kit is good while less expensive for gtr34?

If I stick with 2.6, can I straight put in a tomei type B poncam?

Last edited:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Just a question, what parts are required to upgrade before capacity up to 2.8? I've heard many ppl said gtr weakness is from OIL, so do we need to upgrade the oil pan, oil pump, or fueling system before make it to 2.8? And which 2.8 kit is good while less expensive for gtr34?

If I stick with 2.6, can I straight put in a tomei type B poncam?
Well, basically you can buy complete stroker kits from various Japanese tuners. Mine was a HKS Step 2, which comes with crankshaft, conrods and pistons. As you've correctly mentioned, the oil and fueling systems need some upgrades as well. In my case I had fuel pump, 1000cc injectors, tomei oil pump, N1 water pump etc etc.

Yes, the Tomei poncams will work in your RB26. What are your plans?

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
Pimpim, my plan is either 2.6+gtss or 2.8+gtss or 2.8+garrett gt2860-5, I hvt confirm which one to go, I need to know more about the price, requirement and ofcourse driveability on our road condition. This car is use for street and will be semi aggressive sometime.

For what I read, foundation is very important, thus I would like to collect as many info as I can before doing this. They are few things I hvt done to my car yet which is fueling system(will do next), oil pump(still consider what brand and is it need bigger sump?), N1 water pump, gasket(how many mm?) and cam.

Currently just downgrade my clutch from os triple to os twin, and replace new okd coil. Thus what is your suggestion or anything miss up before plug in 2.8kit(if enuf budget) and turbo?

Is good to overhaul before install turbo? I always worry when running dyno... Worry of engine blow -_-

Last edited:

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
If stick with 2.6, can I use aftermarket piston, conrod and bearing with my stock crankshaft? Is this fit to each other(afterMarket conrod and bearing join into stock crankshaft).

If 2.8, can I use Nismo oil pump(not N1) with baffle plate? Because nismo oil pump provide moderate flow rate, unlike tomei and hks need oil restrictor and big sump.

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
you can use aftermarket pistons, conrod and bearings with the stock crank no problem provided its the same size/measurement as stock (slightly oversized pistons is ok too)

with a 2.8 i don't think there should be any problems with the Nismo oil pump (maybe kaminari can clarify this)

but since you're going to do your internals, why not just expand your oil sump... RB26's stock sump is notoriously small

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
you can use aftermarket pistons, conrod and bearings with the stock crank no problem provided its the same size/measurement as stock (slightly oversized pistons is ok too)

with a 2.8 i don't think there should be any problems with the Nismo oil pump (maybe kaminari can clarify this)

but since you're going to do your internals, why not just expand your oil sump... RB26's stock sump is notoriously small
Thank you so much bro~ the reason I don't want to use tomei or hks oil pump because it required oversize oil sump, which is a bit risky to the car clearance. I've asked kaminari before, he said nismo oil pump do not need bigger sump and oil restrictor. Just add in a baffle plate is enough.
As u said nismo oil pump can use with 2.8, mean oil pump is mainly depend on how much rev u go instead of HP? Is it true?

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Thank you so much bro~ the reason I don't want to use tomei or hks oil pump because it required oversize oil sump, which is a bit risky to the car clearance. I've asked kaminari before, he said nismo oil pump do not need bigger sump and oil restrictor. Just add in a baffle plate is enough.
As u said nismo oil pump can use with 2.8, mean oil pump is mainly depend on how much rev u go instead of HP? Is it true?
I ran a Tomei oil pump and I didn't have an oversize oil sump..

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Use the Tomei oil restrictor I think its 1.2? 1.3? Especially if you're sump is stock cause the stock restrictor will go through your oil in no time. I'm wary of aftermarket sumps due to clearance issues. Of course its definitely recommended especially if you're going hardcore but if I was still in Australia where the roads are smooth and there are no bonggols and lopaks or whatever then I'd do it.

Btw, do you guys get this malware warning when u visit zth?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

HPC and MAM's first ever 4 Endurance race in Sepang will commence this June 12th 2011. This will be a private event sanctioned by the Motorsports Association of Malaysia (MAM) and allows for all race prepared cars old and new ranging from 1600cc, 1800cc and 2000cc.

If you you have yourself a Honda Civic EG for example, your...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience