Good budget blacktop extractor??

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear guys...

I just want to survey the cost and most importantly, the best extractor for a stock 4AGE blacktop.
My exhaust setup is as follow:

Stock extractor
decat
one midbox
2.1" inner diameter piping
S flow muffler

As you can see, it's quite mild. I want it to be that way because its a daily drive. I want more low end torque and low noise.

My question is:

1. What is the stock manifold piping size? Is it too restrictive or okay?
2. If change to a slightly bigger one, will it cause FC and low end to drop?
3. If i do not go for the famous designs (e.g HKS, FGK, Tonka etc) but used back the standard design with bigger diameter, will it benefit?

The reason i ask is because i want to thermal wrap my extractor to reduce heat. I thought since i want to wrap, better change extractor one time if it is good. If not too expensive and wouldn't cost me FC and low end torque, I would do it. If not, I will stick to stock and just wrap it with thermal wrap. Appreciate your experience if you can share

Thank you...

Last edited:

ahaw

Known Member
Apr 1, 2007
written spec compare to on road performance diff. depend on foreman workmanship, quality o tools n materials. been there do that before, local foreman to specialize brand diff. result altogether.

* do share your result here :biggrin:

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
1 piping sifu told me, better not to wrap extracter, bcoz, the heat will accumulate inside, it will cause ur extracter easier to crack. he know our purpose of wraping, better customade somthg to block hot air sucks by intake manifold. just share:idea:

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

1 of my fren ae111 yr96, he customade water pipe nicely to direct cold air in to " Mushroom Intake ". after removed the original filter compartment. later day, i also want to do copy his idea

deng3882

Known Member
Jan 25, 2011
klang
previous setup=stock 4-2-1 extractor
2.2 inch outlet diameter piping (inlet maybe is 2.1 inch)
one centre bullet
FGK s-Flow

Current setup=stock extractor but 2-1 modified to larger diameter (thermal wrap the extractor)
piping remains
change to oval midbox
FGK S-Flow
can feel increase from mid-high end..torque wise just slightly better response.

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Maybe you can try this extractor "HKS copy extractor"

My current setup is stock extractor (wrapped),
2.3 inch piping with local made tabung tengah,
straight flow muffler with silencer.

I'm happy with this setup.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Stick with stock extractor and heat insulator heat cover. If your engine is stock, you will not need to wrap the extractor because the heat is simply doing less harm than you thought it is (unless your temp is running more than half). The only concern for you is the radiator hose nearby, that case i would simply suggest you to get better silicone hose instead eg. Samco etc.

Fyi, the wrap doesn't hold tight forever and after long term it tends to tear due to heat and it'll need to be replaced.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Guys, does it decrease low end torque?
Thanks

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
im using fgk, feel te airflow more smooth n pickup better,
fren using tonnka xtractor 4-2, 1 is trd 2.5 inch all te way till end, accelerate faster. compare to bt ori xtractor.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
fren using tonnka xtractor 4-2, 1 is trd 2.5 inch all te way till end, accelerate faster. compare to bt ori xtractor.
That makes sense. Under full load/acceleration i understand. How about under light load/light acceleration, such as city drive?

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
That makes sense. Under full load/acceleration i understand. How about under light load/light acceleration, such as city drive?
better pickup, u feel abit light. :listen:

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

fren told me, if u put fgk without upgrading ur block or compression drop, high rpm, u will feel sluggish. im kena right now, coz my car engine oil came out fr head gasket. gear 4 onward rpm damm slow fr 6k to 8k.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Also running fgk here, noticeable pickup straight away my butt is being suck by the seat more. There will be a little hissing sound when pressing though due to thinner through out the whole extractor unit. No regret. :smokin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The good boffins at Winding Road have come up with a metric called Speed per Dollar (SpD). Its aim is to put straight-line vehicle performance into an easy-to-understand financial perspective. In light of the monetary component, the best and worst SpD ratings among the sample cars tested aren't entirely surprising: Ariel Atom at the top, Bugatti Veyron at the bottom. Supercars -- and their super prices -- would...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience