VVT problem on 20 V Blacktop

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear sifus and forumers,

This problem has been a bug to me for some time now. All the symptoms point to a malfunction in the VVT system, but the problem is I don't know where. PULLEY or SOLENOID???

The symptoms are really poor low end torque, poor FC, unstable idling (sometimes will die off).

It is not the ECU as I have checked it. It does send out the signal to activate VVT. I am more inclined to believe it's the solenoid, but the mech said it is most probably the pulley. The problem is there is not ticking sound in my engine. If it is pulley, it usually has the famous "tick of death". I do not want to jump straight and remove my pulley because it's not a cheap labour. But the thing is, does the VVT solenoid ever get spoiled? Any such cases? I only heard of pulley problem so far.

I know, I will get it checked some time soon. I just want to hear experienced opinion here and rant. This caused me sleepless nights.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
the solenoid also can get spoiled...i change mine when it leaked oil...as the vvt is activated by oil pressure...any leak will cause the oil press to fluctuate or worst no pressure at all...easier to tell if you got an oil press meter...

usually the solenoid o ring have harden and start to crack then leak oil...so try change o ring first...it only cost couple of bucks and 15 min to do it DIY...i did that once...but mine leak at the socket...so no choice have to change to another one...

based on your describe symptom...i dont think its the pulley or the solenoid...because even with busted pulley and selenoid it wont cause the engine to die off...no power maybe yes...but to die off...i doubt vvt system is the cause...

also it doesnt hurt to check for error code...maybe there is something else...

good luck...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
usually, that kind of symptoms is ECU fault..

check error codes..

VVT doesn't function until it reaches 3k rpm

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Bro Veloc, you can do a solenoid functional test.
1- take off solenoid wire from the solenoid
2- start your engine
3- pull 2 wire from battery straight to the solenoid
4- if the solenoid ok, it will advance the pulley and you will notice the engine behavior change. It will sound like 'timing lari'.

Be careful while you handle the wiring.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
the solenoid also can get spoiled...i change mine when it leaked oil...as the vvt is activated by oil pressure...any leak will cause the oil press to fluctuate or worst no pressure at all...easier to tell if you got an oil press meter...

usually the solenoid o ring have harden and start to crack then leak oil...so try change o ring first...it only cost couple of bucks and 15 min to do it DIY...i did that once...but mine leak at the socket...so no choice have to change to another one...

based on your describe symptom...i dont think its the pulley or the solenoid...because even with busted pulley and selenoid it wont cause the engine to die off...no power maybe yes...but to die off...i doubt vvt system is the cause...

good luck...

usually, that kind of symptoms is ECU fault..

check error codes..

VVT doesn't function until it reaches 3k rpm

Bro Veloc, you can do a solenoid functional test.
1- take off solenoid wire from the solenoid
2- start your engine
3- pull 2 wire from battery straight to the solenoid
4- if the solenoid ok, it will advance the pulley and you will notice the engine behavior change. It will sound like 'timing lari'.

Be careful while you handle the wiring.
Thanks guys... But like i said, i checked ecu already. It does send the activation signal. So i suspect its pulley or solenoid. But my pulley no ticking sound and my solenoid no oil leak... that's why im confused. I will test both. Solenoid first as it is less costly. Just wanted to ask u guys here... is it possible that the pulley fail without giving out ticking sound, and is it possible the solenoid fail wihout leaking oil....

Sent from my android using Tapatalk.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
oh.. clean ur ISCV too.. :wink:

ISCV clogg
4-throttle clogg
ECU
O2 sensor fail
:biggrin:

Guys... what is ISCV?

Btw, my tb was clogged previously. Just serviced and rebalanced all.

ECU and sensors all fine previously checked. But my mech check only. Okay thanka for pointing out. I will bring it to a dedicated auto electrical technician to check more thoroughly.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Okay thanks i just googled ISCV.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Hehe.. U won't see d ISCV from this angle unless u already opened it

U can only see d 2 pipes n a 3 pin connector (if I'm not mistaken) :biggrin:

feralee

Known Member
Nov 21, 2005
Cheras

good luck...

U buy VVT solenoid new or from chop shop

How much?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam

How much?
i juz bought a new vvt solenoid rm220

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

veloc, ur pulley no sound meaning its in good shape.. juz like my (not so) new pulley :biggrin:

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007

How much?
i bought used (chop shop)...if i remember correctly its around rm 120...long time ago...forget already...if can afford buy new...price like d7zul bought...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Now the sound getting louder and obvious. Like diesel sound. I got a used pulley today. Going to try to install over the next few days. Hope that solve it. by the way, my idling mysteriously got better. Smooth and no more problem. It's just the ticking noise now and the emptiness of power from 2000 - about 6500 rpm that bugs me. Seriously lack of torque its very severe.

As for my solenoid, i got it checked already no problem. So i guess its the pulley... Hope it will be solved.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Don't worry diesel-like sound would just be a noise issue, will not affect in-term of performance and wear/tear wise.

Recently i bought two solenoid opened from halfcut for RM150 both. Imo u just have to know the correct halfcut runner that doesn't poke a hole on your wallet and honest enough for not a spoilt item.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Good day ZTH! Well i would like to ask to clarify my doubts as my topic above.
1. Want to purchase a 1.0 myvi (cheaper than a 1.3) to upgrade the engine to YRV turbo for daily use
2. Is it going to be hard to approve the car legally? (assuming we don't use runners)
3. If we use runners what cost are we looking at?

Well is there anyone who is using a YRV engine, or has done a 1.0 to 1.3 engine swap here that can shed some light, I would highly appreciate your kind replies. I just want...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience