Getting Titans Installed Is Only The Beginning...

Battousai

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.durifto.blogspot.com
I sent in my Mazda 323 hatch on Monday afternoon, at lunchtime to Titan and got it back today (Tuesday) after work. I was shocked (pun not intended) by how fast they could custom manufacture a set for my car.

My old suspension setup had been thoroughly condemned. The springs had sagged so much the car was riding on the bumpstops with practically no travel in the fronts. Indeed, the bumpstops had taken so much abuse that they had disintegrated. The dampers at all 4 corners were deader than John Doe.

Richard had given me his recommended setup:
3kgmm front and rear (!) with different damper settings for front and rear.
Yes, I'm still sceptical about this spring setup and more testing will prove right or wrong. Either way, I forsee more visits to have my Titans re-tuned.

Bearing in mind that my shocks are barely a day old, here is my initial impression:

1. Ride height was set about 1 inch higher in front and half an inch higher at the back. This is by eyeball measurement only, and should allow for the springs to settle over the next week or so.

2. Comfort levels over small irregularities (manhole covers, etc) at low speed remains more or less the same. This could be because the old setup had just enough travel to absorb these.

3. Comfort level over speed bumps at low speed is now very good. I attribute this to the fact that my front shocks now have travel as opposed to practically zero movement when riding on the bumpstops.

4. The ride on the notoriously irregular KESAS highway was not impressive at all. I felt that the suspension was not absorbing these irregularities travelling at high speed. The car felt like a boat: only slightly better than the previous setup.

5. Mock slalom test... the car stuck to the road like a leech. I didn't want to push too hard, but I think the grip is definitely there.

6. Turn-in is kind of numb. This may be due to a problem with my car and not the Titans. In any case, I will get this checked.

That's all for now
11:59 pm Tuesday May 25

Battousai

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.durifto.blogspot.com
Chassis that one I need to get sorted out lar.. but for now I feel that the suspension settings defo need some work.

TEST 2
Comfort: Still impressive over speedbumps, both the smooth and the sharp type. Front absorbs very well, but the rear still got a bit of oscillation.

Cornering at a certain very famous hairpin bend:
Managed to get up to 80km/h around it. Tyres whistling softly. Tail felt a bit loose. Will try to attack at a higher speed next time. I've done 90km/h around this bend before.

U-turn test:
Attacked a tight u-turn at 40km/h. Tail definitely feels loose. Neutral to mild oversteer here, but nothing violent or uncontrollable.

Bumpy roundabout test:
Did a few laps round a bumpy roundabout. Motorists must have thought I was mad. Speeds about 50km/h. Well it felt bumpy because it was bumpy, but the car went where it was pointed and the bumps/potholes didn't throw the car off line.

My analysis:
Well, I didn't expect everything to be perfect the first time out. I think the tail is a bit too hard on the compression (probably the spring rate too, but this is relative to the front). For now, I think I would actually move to a 4kgmm front spring, but with softer damping all round. Hopefully this will eliminate the pronounced bounce at high speeds.

NOTE: I MAY CHANGE MY MIND AFTER MORE TESTING. OPINIONS ARE BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE SO FAR.

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
wow battousai, nice car ;) an autobot huh :D

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
sorry, got my transformers facts wrong. pardon my sin.

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
hi stanley,

no, still struggling here in uk. will be back in a few months time(i hope). am still keen on the titans, but even if i don't get it yet, sure will take you for a ride when we meet up. just need to get somemore stuff sorted out first before it is presentable. so bear with me :D

Battousai

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.durifto.blogspot.com
Went to tune my Tits on Tuesday. 4.5kgmm springs up front and 3.5 kgmm maintained at the rear. Richard set the damping according to the observations I related to him. Front was lowered something like 10mm.

The result: about 65% improved over the original setup.

Bumps are more comfortable now and cornering grip seems to have improved.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

Please help me decide between 2009 Mercedes c200k and Lexus IS250. Both unreg, recon.

Mercedes has more brand power in Malaysia ( people think its more prestigious)
Road tax is cheaper
Better fuel consumption
Relatively better resale value
Low reliability for a4 yrs old car
Bland interior

Lexus
More reliable
Smooth V6
High fuel consumption
Excellent interior
Great features
Reliability

Price is almost the same and rear leg room isnt a big issue for me...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience