Gear Ratios Mod

evors

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
Johor, Malaysia
Hi to all Sifu out there,

I need some enlightment and help on gear ratio mod. I asked around some workshop and they advise me about doing gear ratio mod. Ok, here's the thing. I'm driving Proton with Evo3 4G63 conversion (Stock standard). Original Evo3 RS spec 4WD gearbox locked to 2WD, full lock 2 way LSD (That's what my mech told me anyway). The thing is i think the gear ratio is too short for optimum drag performance. So they advice me to change the gear ratio. How do they actually do it? Where did they get the ratio from, i mean do they change the gear cog with some other gearbox? Thinking of doing it, but maybe i can save cost by getting my own cog if possible. Thanks.

rainman2

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Kajang
fren,
mitsubishi g/b is not like hondas whereas u can simply change particular gears b'cos mitsu g/ratio comes in one piece. Usually,what they do is change the whole g/ratio example from evo to vr4rs. They can also change the final drive but using the same g/ratio. To get the right ratio and final drive is the problem as so many variable to consider usually by trial & error.

rainman2

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Kajang
evors said:
Hi to all Sifu out there,

I need some enlightment and help on gear ratio mod. I asked around some workshop and they advise me about doing gear ratio mod. Ok, here's the thing. I'm driving Proton with Evo3 4G63 conversion (Stock standard). Original Evo3 RS spec 4WD gearbox locked to 2WD, full lock 2 way LSD (That's what my mech told me anyway). The thing is i think the gear ratio is too short for optimum drag performance. So they advice me to change the gear ratio. How do they actually do it? Where did they get the ratio from, i mean do they change the gear cog with some other gearbox? Thinking of doing it, but maybe i can save cost by getting my own cog if possible. Thanks.
fren,
one more thing, if your g/b is trully a rs g/b means a close-ratio g/b maybe u should concentrate on your engine to generate more power as in my opinion for drag race close ratio g/b is more suitable. Just my opinion. tq

evors

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
Johor, Malaysia
Thanks for the info rainman2. You are right, my gearbox is the close ratio type. The ratio is so short, that you'll reach the 7000rpm redline almost in a split second. I think a more spaced out ratio would be better, even if i get more power from the engine. A close one is quite good for track circuit, but not for drag, i think.

Anyone else changed ratio before?

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
change ratio? i think change to e3 gsr gearbox better...no need so many hassle
my fren also e2rs..max speed about 250-260 only...i think gsr can go to 280

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi All,

This particular civic 1.7 black calor in penang (BM) is having serious power steering issue. The meter has been tempered and Honda Malaysia has voided the warranty due to that (Honda warranty 3 years, this car is 2 years old)

It's not convenient for me to reveal the infos here, so any potential buyers for a 2005 black civic in penang area, please PM me for the excact car informations.

Just trying to help out ZTH folks.

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience