Facts and fiction about “Initial –D”

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
FACTS ABOUT INITIAL-D

The Initial D creator Shuichi Shigeno took the opportunity to show off Initial D. At first, Initial-D was originally based on a japanese manga story intended to poke fun on a Toyota Trueno AE86 model that had a driver delivering tofu for a living. Similarly Macross cartoon also was based on the intention to poke fun at the Japanese Navy and Airforce. Both anime however have reaped unexpected success in Japan and at international level.

Shuichi Shigeno (Initial-D creator), himself own a Toyota Trueno AE86 model and a Subaru WRX (gun metal colour). These cars were shown in the cartoon.

Initail-D open doorways to people that never knew anything about cars or either dislike and hated cars until they have seen Initial D. This has lead to appreciation, increase of awareness and understanding of cars. This has also spark many forums and fansites that contain nemerous automotive and technical discussions. This include Best Motoring International, JGTC, etc.
In Japan, the star of the show was a Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno, In North America it was called Toyota Corolla GT-S. To street racing fan, they prefer calling the car by their chassis code. (thus Trueno is called the Eight-Six) Initial-D die hard fans prefer calling the cars by their original Japanese numbers, which is why the term "Hachi-Roku" (or Eight-Six in Japanese), Other variations using the numbers in their original Japanese names include:- Eight-Six (aka "Hachi-Roku"), Eight-Five (aka "Hachi-Go"), S13 (aka "S-Ichi-San"), R32 (aka "R-San-Ni"), R34 (aka "R-San-Yon").

Dorikin" (Japanese translation for "Drift King") or "Dori-Dori" is the original inspiration of the driver of the Eight-Six. Tsuchiya (Japanese Drift King) states in the "Best Motoring Videos Drift Bible" that he is the one that taught the main character Takumi how to drive. He plays himself in episode 23 of the First Stage while talking to Bunta off the phone.

The sportsbike rider who appear in the 3rd Stage, overtook Takumi who was en route to an initiation battle with Ryosuke, wears a jade green overall, the trademark color of Keiichi Tsuchiya and also wears the same helmet design.

Joshima "Godhand" Toshia's driving style, the one-hand steer, is stated in the manga as a technique that a famous rally racer uses. Ironically, professional rally racer Petter Solberg also demonstrated the use of the one-hand steer in a Best Motoring Video, although this technique is common use among the pro racers as well such as the Formula One drivers.

Both Akina Speedstars and Silver Star Leaf (SSR) are named after the same brand of wheel called “Speed Star Racing”, the most famous wheel by the company, who collapsed late 2004 and was later then brought out by “Tanabe”

The main character in Initail-D, Takumi fujiwara, is an 18 year old senior high school student. The age of 18 years is considered the youngest age limit to obtain driving licence in Japan. Judging from the timeline of the cartoon, Takumi has been driving illegaly in Japanese road long before obtaining his licence.

The name “Takumi”, means “skillful” and “clever” in Japanese.

The Transformers cartoon features (the Energon series) an Eight-Six, seen from the distance complete with a carbon fibre hood, although it was never specified if this was a transformable autobot since it was getting a carwash from another autobot.

In the live-action movie version of Initial D released in the summer of 2005 made in Hong Kong, .the movie has been initailly planned to be made for such a long time that countless delays, the changing of directors and actors as well as production differences. Hong Kong superstars who were previously attached to this project were Jackie Chan, Andy Lau, and Tsui Hark

New Balance shoes and clothing line are very commonly used in the series as the Initial-D characters always wear different clothings everyday. This was not so common in earlier Stages, but are more apparently seen in much later Stages.

Presently, Mt. Akina haa added large speed bumps to the road. "Drift bumps" are placed to prevent racing on the mountains. They are usually placed at the entrance and exit of corners to deter street racing. Large road reflectors, (or "Cat's eyes") are placed in the middle of the road to prevent drifting, as these reflectors are large enough to tear the oil pan off of a lowered vehicle, though they more commonly destroy alloy wheels. Plastic poles are also placed in the middle of the lanes to deter drifting, as Japanese roads are narrow. These poles are frequently removed by drifters, as they interfere with the required line of the road.

FICTIONS ABOUT INITIAL-D

Mount Akina, the featured scene in the Initial-D is far different from the cartoon series. The differences include:-

The road pavements are much worse to be seen in real-life compared to the cartoon version. By looking at real pictures of the locations, one can tell the amount of terrible pavement, rusting corners, tighter roads, and shorter distances (heavily extended for dramatic use in the cartoon series)

Mt. Akagi being the homecourse of the RedSuns is an example that now contain speedbumps and guardrails to prevent drifting and accidents especially on the highspeed corners and hairpins.

In real life, Initial D’s locations are not what it seems. The gas station featured in the cartoon is seen as GS Gas Station. In actual fact the station is an Esso gas station. There is no Tofu Shop, no Lake Akina and Mt. Akina Gutters in Mt. Akina.

Lonely Driver is a term from the Initial-D. It is used to describe single young men who get their emotional fulfillment from driving cars. Referred to as 'lonely' because they usually do not have girlfriends (or the lack of finding/keeping one), they spend their nights racing other drivers. This is term is fictionally added to intensify the story line in the cartoon series rather than concentrating in characters relationship development.

BTW, I'm not a Ricer or modder, but an old-old unker prone to heart disease and have hearing prob...hehehe, just that I am very curious why ppl are so crazy with the Initial-D and the "8-6". Don't tembak me, hor?.....hihihihi

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
I love Initial-D not because of the cartoon, but the soundtracks... But when this cartoon comes out, more and more websites created just for this and teach us how to drift. Like me, before watch Initial-D, take a sharp corner with speed of 80km/h with braking. After watch Initial-D, same corner with speed 120km/h and without braking. But at the same time, alot of 'fei kei shao' also created.

Kyoichi(Emperor)

Known Member
Nov 7, 2005
ha, but watching the cartoon makes me ........"learn" all those driving styles......and yes, i practised them at the road.....But only some only n at a lower speed, so nothing wrong, k?

hehehe.....actually those cartoon contain some really useful info.....i learned sum thorugh the cartoon....hehe

Cheers!!!!!

evo3

1,500 RPM
Jul 2, 2004
Visit site
i remember seeing at one site that the lake akina, the mountain, the road are real lei... of the GS station is the replacement name for esso ma...but in the Manga is Esso ohhh....

but in the movie there are lake akina and the mountains... :)

Kyoichi(Emperor)

Known Member
Nov 7, 2005
kyheng said:
http://www.emedia.com.my/Current_News/HM/Friday/Setempat/20060526091429/Article/indexm_html

This is the down part when we applied too much in real life. Anyway is good also, less one bastard in road.

that person maybe duno the limits of his skills n the car....must be sweeping the corner with the accelerator pedal on the floor....haih, all this...wanna speed ...speed with their brain.....not their crazy instincts.......

2 type of speeders...either u r pinky or the brain......pity him actually........he decided to be pinky n ended up "bye bye"....haih.....

pity...pity...pity.....

Pityful!!!!

chipstar

Known Member
Aug 11, 2005
kl
Japans mountain roads is not so smooth.But its fun to drive there because so many corners after corners uphill and downhill.True about Mt Akina in Gunma Prefecture they do have bumps all over the road stretch(from my friends story).Lucky in my place (Kurakaki Touge)here theres no bumps only rough surface.I think in my place here the reason local drifters/hashiriya choose mountain pass/touge because theres a lot of wide parking spaces to practice drift.

chipstar

Known Member
Aug 11, 2005
kl
not anymore last time went a year ago with impreza v1.now just recently changed to automatic altezza and never tried to bring this car to touge.maybe when summer starts ill go for a joy drive.no more tackling corners for me dont want to ruin new car like previous ones.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
zephyr3d said:
one think for sure alot of silly drivers think they can drift after watching intial D.
i second that... so many ppl also think they know dem alot about drifting n driving their stock cars after watching Initial D ... come on wey... initial D is juz a movie/cartoon. :confused_smile:

mazad

Sep 21, 2005
PENANG
hmmm very interesting topic....good to read:shades_smile: .....thanks..for sharing

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Yeah, nice read!

I'm not a big fan of Initial D but its fun reading facts and fictions of Initial D.

Also, i would have preferred Andy Lau over Jay Chou for the character of Takumi. Jay's acting skills sux.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi

to all expert need ask... My wira is auto and i converted to Cable clutch manual gearbox... with 1.8 Flywheel, Preassure plate 1.8 and 1.8 clutch on my WIra 1.5 2004 model...

But i did now change the ecu... Will i need to change to manual ecu to have the better performance and efficient FC??? Cos the max speed i can go is 183km/hr... as i know all manual 1.5 can go up to 190km/hr...

So my Question is izzit that i need to change to MAnual ecu...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience