engine oil for turbocharged engines

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
i using castrol magnatec + tutoil on my B8. also smooth n no problem at all..last time use shell semi, 15W-50 seem too thick...

using castrol magnatec rite now for my B8... smooth feel .... but dunno what happen after 4k ....

try out syntium 800 .... pretty good for 4k ..after that ...erm...the engine sounds quite rough...especially cold start ....

i used Q8 full syn for awhile but i didn't really think it was that good, after a few days oni the tappet sound god damn loud wei! hehe! castrol and mobil full syns i didn't really like either.. i suppose motul worked pretty well for me but after about 1000km engine was running rather rough..

so far the best i've ever tried is HKS full syn, rev was ultra light and engine tappet sound whatsoever didn't have. even when the engine oil black as midnite and i jalan about 6500km already tappet sound didn't have at all! sort of pricey i know but i feel its worth it lor. i dont know about now haven't changed oil for some time but has the HKS oil price gone down?

Its aint normal for the engine that is running to feel weird @4000km or un-smooth feeling, especially whe you are using synthetic products.

3 things I can suggest you to check

1...Make sure that your fren is getting the genuine synthetic product from good dealer, as we know a lot of dealer or workshop does crooked jobsuch as fillng up cheap lubricants into branded name lub

2...The oil filter that he use, better to be a good quality one , even though this aint very big problem, but give it a check

3...the engine itself, is it a very old engine , it can be possible that the engine part has worn out horribly ...

Hope it helps... either Synthium, Mobil, esso or Cepsa its all alright ...

I'm currently on my 2nd HKS semi synthetic... thumbs up for me!! 2nd choice would be Endless semi synthetic... these 2 by far are the only 2 oils that i actually feel a difference compared to most other oils that i've used before.... much more smoother right after servicing. HKS does a very good job at cleaning... dun just take my word for it, try it yourself... before reaching 5000kms already u'll notice it starting to get dirty and thicken.

For quieter engines (cure for those with tappet sounds)... use castrol magnatec. =)

evors said:
I'm using Castrol magnatec. Ok till now. One shop recommend using Valvoline Turbolight. Special for turbo. Cheap RM59, anyone tried? Another is Elf, anyone?

I'm using Elf semi syn for my VR4 RS and no problem for it but after 4000KM then the sound comes... but still the engine is smooth just sound of the tappet.... tried the fully syn b4 but change after 1 week due to flood at my area hahaha.... wat a waste...

vadarius said:
I'm using Elf semi syn for my VR4 RS and no problem for it but after 4000KM then the sound comes... but still the engine is smooth just sound of the tappet.... tried the fully syn b4 but change after 1 week due to flood at my area hahaha.... wat a waste...

a fren of mine using Q8 semi syn in a putra 1.8gsrt

1st oil changed.....tappet sound stil there.....but when drain out the oil..it is very dirty n dark

2nd oil changed.....tappet sound reduced.....oil can see cleaner compare to 1st oil drain

3rd oil change.....tappet sound gone.....oil is clean....(even my car now after 5000km stil clean....take out the engine oil checker n see....the oil stil yelow yelow...not dark not dirty..)

4th oil change..upgraded to fully syn n use until now...

*not sure for other car la...but it worth to give u a trial...no harm.... :rock:

u sure? magentec seems to worsen my dad's tappet sound on cold start. only after the engine has warmed up dat the sound slowly disappear. now if d noise iam hearing every mornin isnt a signal of wear and tear, then what is it?
castrol RS is a different story, worth every cent spent. viscousity 10w-60, even though its lower viscousity is the same as the magnetec, it doesnt give out any tappet sound during cold start on my boosted 4efte. iam confused here, anybody wanna share y both oil wit the same lower visco, made by the same company doesnt react the same way during cold start?

I've also posted this same question in the Ford forum. So far, no one has come out and say conclusively that Q8 oil is good for B8 turbo engine.
I'm now using Total semi, it's ok...1st 1K pretty smooth, but then now my adjusters are beginning to tap again. wonder if the cleansing agent in the oil is working or not.
Mitsu owners have said that Q8 is pretty good, others have pretty general comments. I would personnaly try out Q8 on my next oil change and post up the results for all the review.

so, any comments on the Q8 oil? i know its good, my fren's a distributor of it. just wanted to know how ur engine takes it

xtremeleo said:
so, any comments on the Q8 oil? i know its good, my fren's a distributor of it. just wanted to know how ur engine takes it

Q8 good a...my kenari n impreza oso using....engine quiter n cleaner.....

ur fren distributor huh? which one? hehe..only 2 ma....

tonytony said:
I've also posted this same question in the Ford forum. So far, no one has come out and say conclusively that Q8 oil is good for B8 turbo engine.
I'm now using Total semi, it's ok...1st 1K pretty smooth, but then now my adjusters are beginning to tap again. wonder if the cleansing agent in the oil is working or not.
Mitsu owners have said that Q8 is pretty good, others have pretty general comments. I would personnaly try out Q8 on my next oil change and post up the results for all the review.

Q8 1st oil change..it clean ur engine 1st..so effect not so significant..normaly 1st oil change drive for 3000km then change oledi...

2nd oil change...when drain out the out..u can see the oil very dirty.....coz it hv flushing detergent tat helps to clean ur engine....so 2nd time using it..u wil feel the effect oledi..beter....

3rd time oil change....engine consider clean n effective la...normaly mitsu engine at 3rd oil change no tappet sound oledi....for my car..1st oil change oso quiet oledi

cheers...my 2 cents....

his shop is in kepong, hotone garage. simon, u know him? he just bought an imprezza couple of month back:) i see sum good results on my fren's ride, using a 4efte. dis ariff guy is a good fren of simon, dat's how i know the shop owner neway. cheers!!

thanx for the input. i shall keep that in mind. these ford and mazda cars always have these problems. actually mine is not that bad. it only taps when the car is started, then goes away once i drive it a little.
i've got like another 2000km to go before my next oil change. prob in jan06. then i'll post my findings here.

it taps just on start up? dats exactly what happened to my dad's unser when i poured the havoline in, after a bottle of lubrioil oil change, it isnt doin dat anymore. but it happened again, slightly, when i tried a bottle of magnetec. conclusion, the tap on start up shudnt happen, as for me dats a sound which indicates metal surfaces r grinding on each other witout any protection

yup, you're right xtremeleo...not too good for the engine. dats why i'm doing all i can to try and solve this problem. changing to new adjusters isn't an option for me, coz 1, it's too expensive and 2, adjusters don't fail unless the internal springs are broken. in my case, they are not broken coz tapping noise goes away after driving. hence, there could either be gunk in my oil ports not allowing sufficient oil (pressure) to rise to the adjusters, or there's air bubbles in the oil, which would lead to a oil leak in the adjusters and hence spongy upon start-up. either way, apparently better quality oil helps in that they would 'clean' the engine and reduce air bubles from forming.
so far, total semi synt isn;t too bad. but this is only my first oil change. would hope that my situation improves by my 2nd oil change.
pls give comments...thanx....

tonytony said:
yup, you're right xtremeleo...not too good for the engine. dats why i'm doing all i can to try and solve this problem. changing to new adjusters isn't an option for me, coz 1, it's too expensive and 2, adjusters don't fail unless the internal springs are broken. in my case, they are not broken coz tapping noise goes away after driving. hence, there could either be gunk in my oil ports not allowing sufficient oil (pressure) to rise to the adjusters, or there's air bubbles in the oil, which would lead to a oil leak in the adjusters and hence spongy upon start-up. either way, apparently better quality oil helps in that they would 'clean' the engine and reduce air bubles from forming.
so far, total semi synt isn;t too bad. but this is only my first oil change. would hope that my situation improves by my 2nd oil change.
pls give comments...thanx....

try Q8 T650 10w/40....

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom