Engine Die Off Occasionally When Stop

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Hi

My feilo occasionally has engine die off problem when stop, eg at traffic light. Any clues?

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
wah Law .. still having problems with ur car huh? engine die off during stop? A/C on or not?

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
01) AFM dirty, try clean it with CRC contact cleaner <non sticky / non oil base>
02) Change Fuel filter
03) service AAC valve
04) Grounding problem
05) Plug
06) Coil pack

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Clean the AICV valve. If it still happens, change AICV valve because one of the valves is no longer functioning.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Hi

Thanks all for prompt reply.

cgui....the air cond was on.

weikee...
01) AFM dirty, try clean it with CRC contact cleaner ... will do
02) Change Fuel filter ... change last 20kkm ago
03) service AAC valve ... will do
04) Grounding problem ... ???
05) Plug ... will check
06) Coil pack ... hopefully not.

defcon1....wah lau...so specific and so confident ah??? is this common to feilo??

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
i know the AFM case for some fatty owner i know. some are totaly faulty, few have the dirty AFM.

We use the Techtom my friend had, and managed to find some of the car problem link to the AFM. By checking the AFM voltage, and peak. BTW, my fatty AFM managed to go up to 4.12volt, not bad :) still got 0.88 room.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Hi Law, your symptoms specific, my answer specific lor... :burnout:

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
i experienced it b4....... oso engine die off when i went up to genting......at the steep corner on top.. after dat, my car bcome low-revved..... i.e. can onli rev until 2000rpm then cut-off liao...... wut i do is change the AFM from junk yard but still the same problem... i changed for 3 times oledi..... the forth time i change the NEW AFM..... and the problem's gone....... so bcareful when u bought parts from junk yard as our ceffy's getting older.... some parts from junk yard might as well faulty.... as the half cut of our A32 might b a decade old....

rival

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
www.cardomain.com
well. check on air flow sensor too.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
IACV: Idle air control valve --> link to throttle body.

Hook up to the scanner, no error found. So didn't touch on the MAF. Only clean the IACV which is full of carbon.

So far so good... still monitoring.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
After replace the IACV, the sypthom seems go away.

However, now it comes back again and engine occasionally dies off at N or D position.

Sometimes, after restart the engine, it dies off immediately, so I have to press the accelerator pedal to prevent rpm from dropping, else it will drop to 0 again...

Sometimes, while driving the rpm drop to zero and the engine dies off while I release the accelerator pedal. But sometimes it manages to bring up the rpm back to normal immediately after rpm drops almost touching 0.

Morning start, sometimes very smooth, sometimes coughing but no difficulty to start.

Mechanic suggest to change IACV and AFM. But I check around, my symthom is different from those who face the faulty on AFM. Also no error code found.

One thing I notice is the tail of the exhaust pipe is very dirty, full of carbon which was built up recently.

Any ideas?

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
your car than maybe drinking petrol now. the afm maybe too dirty.. so its best to change it (or clean it using CRC contact cleaner)

AAC/IACV also maybe the problem. other things to check
- Check the knock sensor also.
- Fuel Filter
- Plugs
- Power Coils

ming_fei

Nov 24, 2007
Lawcc, I have the same problem in April, meet a TC mechanic and he advised to clean the throttle body which I did and the problem solve since then. I think u should clean it after so many years. But make sure your mechanic clean it until no more carbon, meaning u see shining chrome color inside the throttle body. Becos I had been cheated by another mechanic in March where he didn't fully clean it and carbon still there and the same problem exist.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
your car than maybe drinking petrol now. the afm maybe too dirty.. so its best to change it (or clean it using CRC contact cleaner)

AAC/IACV also maybe the problem. other things to check
- Check the knock sensor also.
- Fuel Filter
- Plugs
- Power Coils
Thanks weikee for your reply.
My fc always get about 400km for RM120 (old rate). Knock sensor, fuel filter changed before (not more than 20kkm). Plugs changed and used about 40kkm. Coils seems ok (check using diagnostic software by turning off one by one, it cause the rpm to drop to 600++).

So will concentrate on afm + IACV.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Lawcc, I have the same problem in April, meet a TC mechanic and he advised to clean the throttle body which I did and the problem solve since then. I think u should clean it after so many years. But make sure your mechanic clean it until no more carbon, meaning u see shining chrome color inside the throttle body. Becos I had been cheated by another mechanic in March where he didn't fully clean it and carbon still there and the same problem exist.
Thanks ming_fei. Yeah...mechanic did clean my TB when I complaint about the engine die off issue. But I doubt he did a thourough job.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Thanks weikee for the number. Just to be prepared to prevent from being overcharged by mechanic...hehe.

When you refer to AFM, do you mean AFM alone or AFM + Air Flow sensor?