Engine Check Light On !

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
Engine Check Light On ! [Problem solved !] Broken ECT sensor !

Hi guys. I just got my Toyota Corona ST171 serviced because of engine jerking problem. Engine light will come and goes away in around 2 minutes intervals.

After repair, I changed a new distributor, distributor cap, new spark plugs, new spark cable, new vacuum sensors and fuel filter. No more engine jerking. But the engine light stills comes.

Just now I drive for 10minutes, engine light on the whole time. Then my engine stalls when I start to drive of from idle in traffic light.

Engine is 3SFE. Any idea why this happens? I wanted to reset my ECU to make sure the ecu relearns itself from scratch so that the error code goes away ..:itsme:

Okay the check light is back again. After checking the ECU error code, its an engine coolant temperature sensor problem ... now trying to get it fixed by replacing the sensor .. updates coming soon :D

UPDATES ! 30/7/2010

Yoohoo ! I found out that the ECU code 4, faulty ECT sensor is correct. Just now went to my workshop to change the sensor .. now no more problem :driver::proud: Bought a genuine toyota ECT sensor to replace it .. cost me RM100+ ...

Have a look at these pictures below as attached

Attachments

Last edited:

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
That's right, resetting the ECU a step start with.. Then if prob persists, physically check ECU for black/burnt/leaking marks.. If it looks like there's none, next is diagnostic.. all the best :)

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
reset and do diagnostic test asap, looks like a serious problem je tu..

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
I reset ECU edi but engine check light still remains.. later let my mech check the ecu see if got burn caps or not

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
if the ecu has been reset and the light still lights up, then there are problems dat the ecu detects in ur system. any other info dat u can share wit us?

what u changed cant be detected by the ecu sir, so those arent the problem the ecu detected.

whats puzzling me is the light switched on around "2minutes interval". is the light switched on on high engine load ke, low engine load ke, what temperature, etc..

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
The check light on under heavy and low load, normal running temperature and low temperature( cold start) ... so frustrated zzz

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Could it be caused by faulty engine internal parts ? Valve seal all those small little things ? If thats the case, need to overhaul and repair ? This could be a good chance that I could get a 3SGTE/3SGE transplant :D

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
no sir, all the internals cudnt have brought dat light up. its more towards what electrical systems can sense ie from the sensors, fecked up sensors, incorrect fueling, etc. check ur plugs, my sense is tingling dat ur fuel pump is feck and leaning the mixture out. pm for details

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
my fuel mixture is damn rich zzz full tank 48 litres go 300km only :( I think its the oxygen sensor problems .. could be the oxygen sensor after the catalytic converter because my car has been running rich mixture since long long time ago .. so the cat-con maybe clogged already .. i got this car from 2 of my sister, previously belongs to my dad.. lady driver dont care so much about their cars zzz

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

i just changed my spark plugs last week .. all 4 pcs .. NGK R copper core plugs

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
lol about lady driver, not all ler lidat..

usually rich mixture doesnt light the light up, just to be sure, check the plugs. 02 sensor is seldomly fecked sir, but in case it does, clean it wit carb cleaner. easy as pie

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
My car's mileage is 481980km already =.= I mean the rich mixture causes the cat-con to be clogged, thus the oxygen sensor did not sense the correct reading and therefore the engine light is on ...

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
Eh I'm not sure yet wor .. :( ok i bring my car to my mech tmr to check

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
I think I got the answer to this engine check light problem ! I got a bad worn out loose gas cap ! Damn, my dad forgotten to put back the original cap when he was fueling a few years back and replaced it with a lousy gas cap with no vents in it .. this might be the cause of bad fuel consumption and engine check light ! Gotta get a new suitable toyota gas cap later ! Hope the engine check light goes away !

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There are 3 types of LSD....

- 1 way
- 1.5 way
- 2 way

Currently Im using 1 way LSD only, launching the car from stand still is perfect. No more wheel spin no matter how much I floor the pedal. But 2nd gears tends to wheel spin a little (too much tork on a 2.2 engine). Overall cornering is superb can feel the grip of the tyres very well. While sliding the car, counter steering seems more responsive and easier to correct the slide.

:)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience