BT 20v Engine check light on

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
Hi Guys,

This morning, my car engine light was on. Performance and rpm dropped until engine stalled. Tried couple of times to start. Yes, can start. But once i lifted foot from gas pedal, engine stalled again. Removed batt terminal to reset ecu but still the same. End up went to workshop and one forman helped me to diagnosed. Error code was air intake/vacum sensor abnormal. What forman has did

1) Swapped map sensor. Result still same.
2) Checked map sensor hose, no hole or leaking.
3) Swapped TPS sensor. Result still same.
4) End up, he used air gun blew map sensor hose that is conencted to throttle body. Check light dint showed, but rev 5-10 times, light on again and engine stalled.
5) The last thing he did was changed below item which i marked in orange color. I duno what this thing call. From workshop until now, so far so good.

After all, he told me it could be my throttle body or the part on top of injectors there dirty. He suggested me take everything out to do cleaning and the labour is Rm250. Is this the usual price? Somehow until now,i still not convince and the problem might come back. I checked on bro Chin website, but couldnt find this intake/vacum sensor.

Guys, any suggestion on this? Urgent need help here. Thx.

j_l200s

Dec 16, 2004
if i'm not mistaken, that's the one-way valve where the hot air comes out and recycled back to ur throttle body. that black pipe connected to the big vacuum pipe on the throttle body. can this actually solve that problem?

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
A faulty PCV won't stall your engine, especially BT that running MAP.
If PCV clog, you will get white smoke fr your emission instead.

"If you have error code but found no problem on the related sensor, or if you have problem but no error code detected - check your ECU!"

Hope this help.

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
thanks all sifus for the prompt replies. just tested my car again. yes engine check light appeared a while then gone. how i knw whether ecu got problem? levin818, heard you do repare ecu. can help me to check on this? if check lights on and i keep revving, can smell smelly fumes.what about if wiring issue?

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
lol levin always like to ask ppl to check ecu hehe
Because i only know ECU :biggrin:
Ops.. also the ayam goreng :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

thanks all sifus for the prompt replies. just tested my car again. yes engine check light appeared a while then gone. how i knw whether ecu got problem? levin818, heard you do repare ecu. can help me to check on this? if check lights on and i keep revving, can smell smelly fumes.what about if wiring issue?
Labour to completely strip down and clean the 4-throttle is around RM250. It is quite reasonable as it need at least 4hrs to do the job. However i am doubt your problem is due to dirty 4-throttle as if you have this problem you will have unusual jerking and power loss (check with Banzai he faced it before). To help you save RM250, you can try swap your ECU with your friends. If the problem also "swap" then confirm its ECU problem.

Wiring problem? Perhaps you are referring to disconnection of sensor's wire that lead to your unstable situation. However if this is true you will have check engine light continuously. But now you don't so chances of wiring problem is slim.

My suggestion is swap your ECU first before go for other options.

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
hi levin, yeah, that's why im not convinced what my forman suggested. i think and re-think again if the problem really due to dirty throttle, it wont happened like so obvious and so fast. it should be like snowball reaction, maybe bad fuel comsumption, respond sluggish, or rpm not stable. then only follow like engine stall if this continuously without remedy from the above symptoms. but my problem now is check light suddenly on and followed by engine stall. if no light, engine is running good. i'll talk to my forman tomorrow and see if he can find me a spare ecu to swap. may i knw how hard to swap an ecu? like makan kacang? :biggrin:

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
like makan ayam goreng :P
which type of Ayam Goreng? Berkasut Ayam or No Kasut Ayam? Lol~

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Last time I do seal closed that PCV Valve, the engine become sluggish and appeared check engine light. Oops.. my engine is 4AGZE.

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
what bro levin818 said is correct. i took out the ecu and found out few legs of one IC looks like fried. went to mun lee and swapped ecu. no check light and running good. swapped old ecu back, check light on. after all bought a 5spd ecu cost me 600 without warranty given. usually kedai potong will give warranty or not?

ok, my car is using 6spd and AT ecu last time. i have bought 5spd ecu since they dont have stock for 6spd. after long drive from mun lee to subang and back to puchong, whenever my car was idle, sometimes rpm will dropped to 400+-. no check light and engine did not stalled this time. rpm went back to normal after i stepped a bit on the gas pedal. could this be ecu is still learning? or could this be because my previous ecu was AT and more fuel was flowing to the engine? do i need to adjust my fuel regulator after this to suit back MT ecu?

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

what bro levin818 said is correct. i took out the ecu and found out few legs of one IC looks like fried. went to mun lee and swapped ecu. no check light and running good. swapped old ecu back, check light on. after all bought a 5spd ecu cost me 600 without warranty given. usually kedai potong will give warranty or not?

ok, my car is using 6spd and AT ecu last time. i have bought 5spd ecu since they dont have stock for 6spd. after long drive from mun lee to subang and back to puchong, whenever my car was idle, sometimes rpm will dropped to 400+-. no check light and engine did not stalled this time. rpm went back to normal after i stepped a bit on the gas pedal. could this be ecu is still learning? or could this be because my previous ecu was AT and more fuel was flowing to the engine? do i need to adjust my fuel regulator after this to suit back MT ecu?

AE75

Known Member
Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

5sp ECU already cost RM600 ah? I thought that price is 6sp ECU. Kedai Potong no warranty, i think u better source is from levin818 for more guaranty.

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
600 no warranty...?
My rebuilt BT ECU has 1 yr warranty (unofficially can use until you sell your car w/o giving any problem), and it cost much lesser than 600 :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

which type of Ayam Goreng? Berkasut Ayam or No Kasut Ayam? Lol~

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Last time I do seal closed that PCV Valve, the engine become sluggish and appeared check engine light. Oops.. my engine is 4AGZE.
Could it be your ECU in bad shape also :biggrin:

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
ai...sad sad sad. i need to use my car urgently because today need to go outstation. i knw you doing good job with warranty some more. sigh....if i take my ecu for you to replace the parts, how much for the charges? can pm me the price? next 2 weeks i dont have time to check forum here. will discuss with you about this when i come back.

suma_

Known Member
Jun 3, 2005
DU
ai...sad sad sad. i need to use my car urgently because today need to go outstation. i knw you doing good job with warranty some more. sigh....if i take my ecu for you to replace the parts, how much for the charges? can pm me the price? next 2 weeks i dont have time to check forum here. will discuss with you about this when i come back.
bro; you won't regret if using a refurbished ecu by this sifu. with warranty and smooth output i really recommend this option. not to oversell his name, but i'm one of his customer. :proud:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

HPC and MAM's first ever 4 Endurance race in Sepang will commence this June 12th 2011. This will be a private event sanctioned by the Motorsports Association of Malaysia (MAM) and allows for all race prepared cars old and new ranging from 1600cc, 1800cc and 2000cc.

If you you have yourself a Honda Civic EG for example, your...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience