End of the Evo’s evolution?

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

It appears to be the end of the road for the legendary Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, at least that seems to be the case, as Mitsubishi’s head of Global Product Development, Gayu Eusegi, has mentioned that the Evo X will be the last Evo derivative made by the Japanese automaker.

The Evo no longer features in the plans of the carmaker as Eusegi says that the company is shifting its strategy to put their focus on leadership in electric vehicle technology. With that in mind, the Evo’s equally legendary petrol-guzzling abilities wouldn’t seem to match up wih that newfound direction.

Despite singlehandedly keeping the Mitsubishi name afloat in recent years and its massive popularity in the rallying and racing circles, Mitsubishi is apparently not afraid of making the huge move and believes that consumers will grow on the idea of electric vehicles and get behind the brand.

Furthermore, as the aim to solidify their belief in electric vehicles, killing of the petrol-guzzler in their line-up would only serve to strengthen their fortitude towards an increasingly environmentally-conscious car-buying public in pursuing their new direction.

If you’re secretly hoping that they would replace it with a performance-oriented hybrid, Eusegi put paid to any notion of that as well, “Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles. Maybe then we can enter the market again,” he said.

However, it could merely be interpreted as the death of a purely petrol-consuming Evo as a hybrid Evo would actually appeal to a wider public. Furthermore, Porsche have gone down that road too with much success and with Mitsubishi’s lead in EV, it could be a wise move to follow that path as well.

In relation to their focus on EV, Autocar has indicated that Mitsubishi will release eight fully-electric or hybrid-electric cars by 2015 with the aim of grabbing a huge slice of the CO2-reduction pie.

Source: Autoblog

Attachments

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
That's just sad. I always liked the evo's and by the looks of it, I'll never get to own one. When I can finally afford it, banks will label them "not a popular sports car, therefore, no loan".

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
That's just sad. I always liked the evo's and by the looks of it, I'll never get to own one. When I can finally afford it, banks will label them "not a popular sports car, therefore, no loan".
and worse still the second hand prices wont fall much either might even appreciate
especially with the evo x
with it being the last member of a revolutionary line of rally/street racing cars :bawling:
cars are getting slower in the future :bawling:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
No hybrid performance car would be able to replace pure petrol power :bawling:

EDDYSW20

Known Member
Oct 16, 2009
Negeri Sembilan
No hybrid performance car would be able to replace pure petrol power :bawling:
I doubt that actually.......

I believe a hybrid could outrun a petrol anytime...... the torque in an electric motor is crazy at 0 rpm compared to a fuel run engine. Simply said, a petrol or diesel engine could NEVER create as much torque as an electric motor at just saaaayy.... 1 rpm.....

But I cannot imagine the power and amperages running through those cables when pressed full throttle from standstill..... should be able to illuminate those cables..... huuhuhuh......

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
grab one while stock last....collector's demand.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Sad sad...future cars is truly getting slower...still love the older performance cars like Supra, Skyline, NSX and etcs...

Evo X owners are gonna make big money if they were to sell the collector's item EVO X in future :rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All,

Anyone would like to recommend me a good exhaust shop who does a nice quality job and has a wide range of mufflers or if not able to custom them.

Planning to have a complete cat back exhaust upgrade and to go stainless steel all the way. So, hoping that the shop also does TIG welding.

Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience