DIY roof rack for Pajero

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
As the title suggest...
My dad wanted the roof rack soo bad but after askin around,most are priced above rm1500.
Great quality will go beyond rm2500.
So,the DIY bug bites again.
This was done long time ago so i cant recall the exact cost but its well below rm1500.

Main concern is getting the roof bar of the desired height.Most cheapo bar are too high and
does not look good.they have lower carrying weight too.
Problem is with the pajero is the roof is slightly higher towards the back.
Finally manage to get Thule roof bar at Senawang for less than rm800.Sorry, i dont recall the
exact price as its been more than a year.

Roof bar sorted out now comes the biggest challenge-the rack itself.
He bought the steel u can see in the pic.still got lots leftover as u can see on the frame of the
roof of the house for future project.

the cutting job is done by him as neither my bro or me are good at cutting steel.it must be a perfect
match to make welding easier and the joint water tight.

these are the finish product.need to improve on my welding skill more.

the open end is plugged with a chair plug or plastic end.cam be bought at hardware shop.

does it work?
sure did.i try carrying some box and luggage bag when moving house last week.
how much it can carry?
Thule claim max load of 50kg.

i have a problem,i cant weld using welding goggle.my bro doesnt seem to have the problem.
i just use a dark goggle.but i dont look directly on the spark.

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
should have invested on a welding mask with auto darkening feature. Quite afordable, esp. when you are going to do more welding job in the future.

Good DIY!!

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
should have invested on a welding mask with auto darkening feature. Quite afordable, esp. when you are going to do more welding job in the future.

Good DIY!!
last time i check price was rm300 for that type of mask.
at that moment was not doing much welding so not really needs it.
when doing the rack really feel the need but soon i got used to using dark goggle.
need to protect the face too though,if not skin will peel off like having sunburn.

my wheeled cloth hanger (ampai baju) oso diy,additional pillar on gate oso diy.

what i learn abt welding is u hav to do it often or it will be like the first time.
my transformer is just fan type with lo or high setting,no knob to adjust current in small increament.
have to adjust tapping time according to metal thickness.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

btw..these tool oso diy

the L thing is for pushing campro tensioner.

the one with screwdiver handle is for removing Kenari's ATF pan.
Space is so tight that none of my wrench fit,not even the slimmest so have to cut a size ten socket and grind it to fit.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
last time i check price was rm300 for that type of mask.
at that moment was not doing much welding so not really needs it.
when doing the rack really feel the need but soon i got used to using dark goggle.
need to protect the face too though,if not skin will peel off like having sunburn.

my wheeled cloth hanger (ampai baju) oso diy,additional pillar on gate oso diy.

what i learn abt welding is u hav to do it often or it will be like the first time.
my transformer is just fan type with lo or high setting,no knob to adjust current in small increament.
have to adjust tapping time according to metal thickness.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

btw..these tool oso diy

the L thing is for pushing campro tensioner.

the one with screwdiver handle is for removing Kenari's ATF pan.
Space is so tight that none of my wrench fit,not even the slimmest so have to cut a size ten socket and grind it to fit.
Good man! Nothing can keep a good man down. Harder still with a man who knows his tools...
What welder do you use? MIG? Gas type?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
hmmm, maybe the next project will be kangaroo bar for the pajero?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
How much is the set of welder?
less than rm400.
fogot the actual figure as it has been a while.
mine is TIG fan type.there is also TIG oil type,transformer is cooled in oil.after discussing with the seller,he suggest i go for the fan type as it has almost no maintenance and cheaper for he usage.
MIG is well beyond budget.

if u want to get one and u have more budget i recommend u get one with a dial to adjust current.mine only has hi or low setting.
forgot how much amp mine was.

oso,dont cut the welding cable to equal length for the terminal usage.the ground only need abt 2 feet.the welding end i suggest u get longer as it will allow better movement and easier work as u dont have to move the set frequently.

rod is cheap..very cheap.i bought a whole plastic.

dont forget...proper welding mask.
protection for eye is very important.
i also recommend full face protection against eye protection only is u like to get too close to the welding action as u can burn your skin on the face area.u wont feel it until few hours after u done.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Not only the weight, since the Pajero already so high up, cannot stack too high also, but good job on the DIY....:adore:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Not only the weight, since the Pajero already so high up, cannot stack too high also, but good job on the DIY....:adore:
tq.
even when empty,it does have effect on fc as airflow is disrupted even more.
can hear whooshing at above 60kmh.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
if that is the case, a wind deflector would help. Just like those container trucks....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Gunnerz,

Just be abit mindful having the rack on the roof. I myself drove through a low overhead-beam (at shopping centre parking), in my uncle's jacked-up Pejero with roof rack samor last time.

Scrapped the rack, but lucky thing the beam was only hung from the ceiling, not fixed solid. if not, sure kena accident kaw-kaw...

Lesson of the day: big ass pickup and tall 4x4 aren't friendly at tight spots...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Gunnerz,

Just be abit mindful having the rack on the roof. I myself drove through a low overhead-beam (at shopping centre parking), in my uncle's jacked-up Pejero with roof rack samor last time.

Scrapped the rack, but lucky thing the beam was only hung from the ceiling, not fixed solid. if not, sure kena accident kaw-kaw...

Lesson of the day: big ass pickup and tall 4x4 aren't friendly at tight spots...
Too high got problem, I have some friend mod low low also got problem, cannot go into underground car park.....hahhahhahahahha:biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi I have a Lancer with a swap to a 4G92 MIVEC as per the picture:

View attachment 569063

Recently the oil pressure has started to go low when the engine is at idle/tickover.

View attachment 569064

This is shown on my oil pressure gauge as well as the oil light on the dashboard had been flickering.

Also the car won't go into MIVEC mode.

I have checked the oil, it is at the correct level on the dip stick and was only changed about 3000 KM ago, running 10W40 fully synthetic...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience