DIY -Retoration of head lamps like new !

ned22am

Sep 11, 2008
mmm sorry aaa, no offence, i tried wit my car but sadly no change.. agreed wit gothculture.. what a waste of my time..:bawling:

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
yea la...waste my time N money (turtle wax rubbing coumpound rm22.90, 2pcs 1500 grit rm3.60, n 2pcs 2000 grit rm3.80):bawling:

better i use d money pump petrol...f**K:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

SP|D3RMaN

Known Member
Nov 11, 2008
aedetailers.multiply.com
Hi guys.

From a detailer point of view, it's not worth it to try to DIY it yourself unless you have the proper tools. For me, I use a rotary buffer machine to buff heavy and severe oxidation. Even then , it takes a few pass to make it crystal clear. Furthermore, i use different lighting source to detect any places that i might have missed.

For end users whom would like to DIY and yet , do not wish to resort to wet sanding (leave it to the professionals with experience), i would recommend to get Meguairs PlastX. Together with an applicator pad, elbow grease and a few passes, i believe you could certainly see a better results compared to relying on wet sanding.

Most important of all, please try to get yourself some plastic sealant to protect the expose and fresh layer of plastic from further UV damage.

Let me know if any of you guys need some assistance. Feel free to PM me too if you need some private advice. Cheers ! :)

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
hey spidey...whr's ur shop?hw much u charge to restore headlamp?i giv up on diy dy...waste my time n money

Bump: hey spidey...whr's ur shop?hw much u charge to restore headlamp?i giv up on diy dy...waste my time n money

SP|D3RMaN

Known Member
Nov 11, 2008
aedetailers.multiply.com
hey spidey...whr's ur shop?hw much u charge to restore headlamp?i giv up on diy dy...waste my time n money

Bump: hey spidey...whr's ur shop?hw much u charge to restore headlamp?i giv up on diy dy...waste my time n money
Hi Bro.
I do not own a shop but i am a full fledge crazy detailing enthusiast. LoL
I'm from JB so ....

Anyway, in KL there is also lots of people like me.
Try to find your way and there should be someone out there as crazy as me to assist you.
Cheers and good luck bro !

kelvin---

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Sarawak
i tried polishing my car and another fren's vigo headlight lst time..we use 2 types of polish compound .. rough and fine grade .. we din even use sandpaper ... onli cotton + cloth .. but we manage to get rid of the oxidation and restore the shine back wor .. it onli takes patience and willpower to do it .. it may b slow .. but the result .. we r satisfied with it .. but of coz .. when u turn on ur headlights .. thr will b some fine lines on ur headlights la .. cant escape from tat ..

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
hehehe spidey gd luck u say?haha...i giv up on trying to restore d headlamps d...now looking for shop tht charge affordable price....usually its rm150 if im not mistaken(nid to save money for tht)...hmm...now to jump to my other diy plan: rewrap my door fabric...:biggrin:

Kelvin: zzzz...it takes up alot of time n effort n it isnt perfect...my as well send it do d pros...

Bump: hehehe spidey gd luck u say?haha...i giv up on trying to restore d headlamps d...now looking for shop tht charge affordable price....usually its rm150 if im not mistaken(nid to save money for tht)...hmm...now to jump to my other diy plan: rewrap my door fabric...:biggrin:

Kelvin: zzzz...it takes up alot of time n effort n it isnt perfect...my as well send it do d pros...

kelvin---

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Sarawak
erm..jst wonderin...even if u buff it up with machine or done by pros...it may shine like new underthe sunlight .. but at nite..there wil stil b those micro scratches due to polishes wor... correct me if i m wrong

SP|D3RMaN

Known Member
Nov 11, 2008
aedetailers.multiply.com
hehehe spidey gd luck u say?haha...i giv up on trying to restore d headlamps d...now looking for shop tht charge affordable price....usually its rm150 if im not mistaken(nid to save money for tht)...hmm...now to jump to my other diy plan: rewrap my door fabric...:biggrin:

Yeah. If you read properly, there are steps that i recommend a DIYer like yourself. But my advice is still to go with a professional to get the job done and get it done correctly.
erm..jst wonderin...even if u buff it up with machine or done by pros...it may shine like new underthe sunlight .. but at nite..there wil stil b those micro scratches due to polishes wor... correct me if i m wrong
Yes. Some micro scratches which is too deep or stone chips cannot be repaired.
A good detailer would inform you of it before he attempts any correction on the headlights.

Munspes69

Apr 23, 2009
:biggrin: that what my mood now..
i already try, but try n error n try n error again, but.... see this.
1st pic is before
2nd pic is after paper sand 1000 grade n last 2000 grade and put back
3rd pic is Getf1 head lamp polisher made in malaysia - RM12.90
4th pic is during polishing
5th pic is the result
6th pic is 1K clear coat RM18.00, but bad result, and sand paper back remove the coat
7th pic is before polishing.

i try n error it. but happy now. thinking to apply 2K clear coat for protection.

Attachments

Last edited:

SP|D3RMaN

Known Member
Nov 11, 2008
aedetailers.multiply.com
1st pic is before
5th pic is the result
6th pic is 1K clear coat RM18.00, but bad result, and sand paper back remove the coat

i try n error it. but happy now. thinking to apply 2K clear coat for protection.
Wow. Bro. I'm impressed by your sheer determination.
However, let me advice you something.
DO NOT spray any clear coat on your headlamps.
It's going to crack within the first few months and you'll face even more damage then previously.
Use some synthetic sealant to seal the fresh layer of plastic.
It'll help to maintain it.

Cheers !

Munspes69

Apr 23, 2009
Wow. Bro. I'm impressed by your sheer determination.
However, let me advice you something.
DO NOT spray any clear coat on your headlamps.
It's going to crack within the first few months and you'll face even more damage then previously.
Use some synthetic sealant to seal the fresh layer of plastic.
It'll help to maintain it.

Cheers !
synthetic sealant?
this 1st time i hear.
any brand u advise?
that thing write at the bottle or something 'Synthetic sealant' ?

gothculture

Known Member
Apr 18, 2008
1st pic is before
5th pic is the result

wow!respect bro...seems like good stuff!!but ive already given up on it...hahaha...anyway congrats to u!!

Munspes69

Apr 23, 2009
wow!respect bro...seems like good stuff!!but ive already given up on it...hahaha...anyway congrats to u!!
Thanks bro, but i think, to DIY. Don't give up, try n error, i sand it very hard...

Last edited:

frank118

Known Member
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah great work bro....looks good and save the $150 bucks...but its the satisfaction that reallly counts yes?

Bump: Yeah great work bro....looks good and save the $150 bucks...but its the satisfaction that reallly counts yes?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi there all master yodas!!
currently my engine is vr4..i wanna change my engine block.. wat engine block can masuk ah?? will it increase my performance?? how much will it cost?? heheh thank you all!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience