Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

DIY car

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Hey, is it possible to build your own car from nothing, as in you build the chassis yourself, mount the engine yourself and do all the necessary installations yourself? No need do very complicated one, just a tubular chassis and no body panels, like the Ariel Atom.

20030516114315atom4wa.jpg

This is assuming that you have the tools and skills la.

Anyone have any opinions?

tonight go to bed 9pm sharp sharp.... and have a nice sweet dream....

dream for diy car...... hahahaha....

just kidding.... Want to diy a car, it's required time, $$$, and effort to do it....

at least good in physic..... otherwise.... nothing to say

tonight go to bed 9pm sharp sharp.... and have a nice sweet dream....

dream for diy car...... hahahaha....

just kidding.... Want to diy a car, it's required time, $$$, and effort to do it....

at least good in physic..... otherwise.... nothing to say

I have always liked the idea of a DIY car.

It does take a lot of time and effort. And it requires a LOT of skills. Welding, metal fabrication.....etc.

I dunno if JPJ allows it.

It alwso requires a hell of a lot of tools. The tools alone will cost $$$$. if only they had kit cars here.:sad_smile:

Kodiak_gbl said:
I have always liked the idea of a DIY car.

It does take a lot of time and effort. And it requires a LOT of skills. Welding, metal fabrication.....etc.

I dunno if JPJ allows it.

It alwso requires a hell of a lot of tools. The tools alone will cost $$$$. if only they had kit cars here.:sad_smile:

yeah

thare's a kit car you can buy in UK that costs less than 20k called the Westfield Xtr and it's faster than a zonda F!!! It has a Suzuki Hayabusa 1.3-liter engine that generates 180hp.

I'm actually in college now and I was hoping that the authorities can lend the workshop for the build. They have welders and machining tools there and I've got a friend who's pretty good at bending steel tubings into shapes.

I don't care if JPJ doesn't allow it....drive secretly lo hehehee

you can simply build a car, but not simply it's aerodynamic. if you intend to push the car above 200km/h, you'd need aerodynamic experts.

sarcastics said:
you can simply build a car, but not simply it's aerodynamic. if you intend to push the car above 200km/h, you'd need aerodynamic experts.

yeah aerodynmics is not the main factor here, just as long as it goes fast enough (200kph at least) and it's nimble enough on the track.

if your race vehicle is lightweight and RWD, a slight front lift at over 200km/h can send you airborned.

sarcastics said:
if your race vehicle is lightweight and RWD, a slight front lift at over 200km/h can send you airborned.

yes that's a possibility too so probably we shouldn't drive the car that fast. Or maybe add a front wing and a rear wing to create some downforce

aerodynamics also can DIY mar... try get some friends studying aeronautical engineering... sama sama do research on it, sure can make....

but usually DIY car, jpj wont allow lar... for track day use can la, no jpj block in sepang.... hahahaha....

SkYwAlKeR said:
aerodynamics also can DIY mar... try get some friends studying aeronautical engineering... sama sama do research on it, sure can make....

but usually DIY car, jpj wont allow lar... for track day use can la, no jpj block in sepang.... hahahaha....

wah aeronautical engineer...need so canggih meh...after become f1 car lo hehehee

ya for track day...and for driving to your nearby grocery store lol

Actually, I was thinking of a kit car thats not necessaryly fast, but has lots and lots of torque :p. Good pickup. Makes the car a nice cruizer ;).

Cool paint job, and a nice growl. ;)

i've built one. Scrapped it promptly.

NOW i know how to build one WITHOUT all THAT mistakes i made. hehe

it was a steel tubular frame Group C wannabe. haha
scaled down version of a LeMan, similar to the Radical SR3, Westfield XTR in shape only.

Performance? L200 660cc N/A engine which never fired.

so how was it??... still working arr that monster L2??... some sort like a go-kart??...

ninja_iga said:
it's not a go-kart la.

it looks similar to what i said, the Radical or Westfield..
and i said: i scrapped it already!

LOL

any pics for us or not?

can share your experience ar? what are the mistakes you made or anything we need to look out for?

thanks

KIT CARS... they are considered DIY cars..u buy each part and make it urself..
it is nearly impossible to build from scratch..

in oversea, it is possible... i got a friend DIY a drag car.... i mean not build from scratch la... he bought a chassis from a lelong company.... then sendiri transplant engine inside.... buy suspension parts and axles from halfcut shop... all DIY sendiri... he is a real sifooo..... respect...

A mechanical engineer is needed for it. An electrical engineer is important as well. That's why electical, electronics and mechanical always comes together.

For the chasis,

applied statics
applied dynamics
cad/cam
properties of materials
strength of materials
engineering design
theory of machines
mechanical vibrations

Aerodynamic's wise,

Fluid mechanics
Fluid dynamics
Thermodynamics

Most of all, experiences on hands on machines and stuff. Electrical parts? I don't know. Sad sad.

A Post Every 5 Mins

I have karcher k3.5 with karch snow foam lance 0.3l. The snow foam just too diluted. It cant cling on the dry surface of the car. Any idea to improve it to make it much thicker like car wash center?

Online now

Search

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom