CVT vs DCT

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Probably those Lancer are still in NA. NA not that easy to gain a lot of power compared to forced induction.

Euro cars got CVT also. For example, those lower spec Audi models use CVT like A4 2.0 or 1.8. Japanese also got DCT. R35 GT-R...
Evo X also DCT mah!

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
you mean the A4 2.0T and 1.8T use CVT? i tot DCT. So basically right now we can say tht CVT is competing with DCT who is the best transmission in-terms of FC, performance and durability. Like egb18c just mention, even the new Subaru WRX use CVT. Maybe CVT is coming up under performance side.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Evo X also DCT mah!
Ah haha, forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

you mean the A4 2.0T and 1.8T use CVT? i tot DCT. So basically right now we can say tht CVT is competing with DCT who is the best transmission in-terms of FC, performance and durability. Like egb18c just mention, even the new Subaru WRX use CVT. Maybe CVT is coming up under performance side.
I think for FC and smoothness in driving, CVT is better as I heard DCT can be jerky at low speed.

The new WRX is using CVT is probably due to the reason that Subaru is manufacturing their own transmission, yes CVT included. They probably assume that those who goes for auto in a WRX are probably not those hardcore enthusiast as most likely those would have went for the manual version already. With CVT in WRX, they are probably trying to combine decent FC, comfort and above average power at the same time since normal torque converter auto are not as smooth as CVT and is not as efficient as CVT as well in FC.

Now that you've mention it, not only WRX is using CVT. The new Legacy turbo and Forester turbo are using CVT too.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
CVT is a kill joy. Absolutely abyssal for drivers. Must be the most boring transmission there is. Selespeed being a bitch to drive is more fun than CVT.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
CVT is a kill joy. Absolutely abyssal for drivers. Must be the most boring transmission there is. Selespeed being a bitch to drive is more fun than CVT.
That boring CVT sound. Eh, but I thought you got Lanspira at home?

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
I hate the sound of CVT too, as if the car didnt change any gear at all. DCT still acceptable. But wht hit me the most is tht, why Volks is the only brand that has alot of DCT problem compare to other euro car in Malaysia.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I hate the sound of CVT too, as if the car didnt change any gear at all. DCT still acceptable. But wht hit me the most is tht, why Volks is the only brand that has alot of DCT problem compare to other euro car in Malaysia.
Maybe because of their DSG gearbox technology? I heard that the problem is resolved in their newer DSG.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
That boring CVT sound. Eh, but I thought you got Lanspira at home?
I sat in Izso's Sylphy, can't seem to differentiate the CVT sound and Engine sound.
Can't hear the whine that everyone speaks about.

I think they didn't test it in hot weather, only in the winter. :hahaha:
Joking but serious too.

Speaking of VW, i hate it when i hover over the ZTH page and the ad just pops up. Damn laggy.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I sat in Izso's Sylphy, can't seem to differentiate the CVT sound and Engine sound.

Joking but serious too.

Speaking of VW, i hate it when i hover over the ZTH page and the ad just pops up. Damn laggy.
If going at low rpm, should not be obvious. Got try at high RPM?

About that ad, true. Always pop out, can be annoying.

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor

Joking but serious too.

hahahaha yeahhhh the ad is annoyingg.. they expect us to buy tht Jetta, but well the ABT bodykit on Jetta actually not bad. but still. haha

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

If going at low rpm, should not be obvious. Got try at high RPM?

About that ad, true. Always pop out, can be annoying.
Low RPM is the worse, my uncle own the Sylphy. The car jerking once u press the accelerator, but after tht back to normal vacuum sound. hahaha

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
dont ever buy CVT gb cars, LANPA
Unker, you City also CVT....

We tried at 4000rpm. Pulling like mad.
Still no annoying sound? If the engine is kept constant at 4000rpm without any up and down, it sounds annoying enough.

hahahaha yeahhhh the ad is annoyingg.. they expect us to buy tht Jetta, but well the ABT bodykit on Jetta actually not bad. but still. haha

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Low RPM is the worse, my uncle own the Sylphy. The car jerking once u press the accelerator, but after tht back to normal vacuum sound. hahaha
VW had quite a bad reputation in our country already. You can have a look at their fb page. You'll see lots of unsatisfied customers complaining. From what I've heard, booking for a service at their service centre and put you in a waiting list for like a month or so.

Got such problem with Sylphy? I thought Nissan's CVT are known to be smooth.

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
Unker, you City also CVT....

Still no annoying sound? If the engine is kept constant at 4000rpm without any up and down, it sounds annoying enough.

VW had quite a bad reputation in our country already. You can have a look at their fb page. You'll see lots of unsatisfied customers complaining. From what I've heard, booking for a service at their service centre and put you in a waiting list for like a month or so.

Got such problem with Sylphy? I thought Nissan's CVT are known to be smooth.
Probably the first batch of CVT i thnk. Is pretty jerking though, when you are at the traffic light. you let go of the break, then u press the accelerator slowly. and it start jerking but after tht, back to normal. thts how it was. but i thnk is mild jerking, so not alot of people seems to care about it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone change their fuel filter? how long should i change the the fuel filter? I'm driving a 1991 Toyota AE92.. i think the fuel filter is more than 10 years old already.. should i change it? normally how much it cost for changing fuel filter? btw my car is running on 4age engine.. thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience