CVT vs DCT

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Maybe because of their DSG gearbox technology? I heard that the problem is resolved in their newer DSG.
VW DSG? heard the problem is with the 7 speed one, 6 speed seems better....

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

I sat in Izso's Sylphy, can't seem to differentiate the CVT sound and Engine sound.
Can't hear the whine that everyone speaks about.

I think they didn't test it in hot weather, only in the winter. :hahaha:
Joking but serious too.

Speaking of VW, i hate it when i hover over the ZTH page and the ad just pops up. Damn laggy.
You good with IT, never heard of Ad blocker....I never see such ad for a long time already.....:driver:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Unker, you City also CVT....

Still no annoying sound? If the engine is kept constant at 4000rpm without any up and down, it sounds annoying enough.

VW had quite a bad reputation in our country already. You can have a look at their fb page. You'll see lots of unsatisfied customers complaining. From what I've heard, booking for a service at their service centre and put you in a waiting list for like a month or so.

Got such problem with Sylphy? I thought Nissan's CVT are known to be smooth.
VW aftersales are slowly, very slowly better.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

You good with IT, never heard of Ad blocker....I never see such ad for a long time already.....:driver:
Cilaka hahahahahahaah marketers hate you hahahaha

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Probably the first batch of CVT i thnk. Is pretty jerking though, when you are at the traffic light. you let go of the break, then u press the accelerator slowly. and it start jerking but after tht, back to normal. thts how it was. but i thnk is mild jerking, so not alot of people seems to care about it.
Maybe you can get it checked out at service centre or with mechanic? Or maybe can adjust with transmission software?

VW DSG, I also got confused with which is good and which is bad. Dry VS Wet clutch. 6 speed vs 7 speed. But still, if I got the money, I don't think I'll take the risk. Or perhaps I might request them to send a manual unit from UK? Slightly expensive also worth it, no DSG problem and still have the fun of manual. :biggrin:

VW aftersales are slowly, very slowly better.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

By the time they got really better, don't know how long have passed already.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe you can get it checked out at service centre or with mechanic? Or maybe can adjust with transmission software?

VW DSG, I also got confused with which is good and which is bad. Dry VS Wet clutch. 6 speed vs 7 speed. But still, if I got the money, I don't think I'll take the risk. Or perhaps I might request them to send a manual unit from UK? Slightly expensive also worth it, no DSG problem and still have the fun of manual. :biggrin:

By the time they got really better, don't know how long have passed already.
Im pretty sure they can address this very well. Its a powerhouse in the Automotive industry.
Proton can expect less lah. But heard Perodua is top notch.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Im pretty sure they can address this very well. Its a powerhouse in the Automotive industry.
VW went way too ambitious by putting DSG in almost all their cars. Those MPV like Cross Touran and Sharan also got DSG. I was like, really? Who cares about shift times in MPV anyway except of course, the legendary alja racer that we all know.

Proton, as long as they don't get too carried away and started doing too many things, should be okay already. Keep it simple and reliable.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
VW went way too ambitious by putting DSG in almost all their cars. Those MPV like Cross Touran and Sharan also got DSG. I was like, really? Who cares about shift times in MPV anyway except of course, the legendary alja racer that we all know.

Proton, as long as they don't get too carried away and started doing too many things, should be okay already. Keep it simple and reliable.
Why not. Veyron also DSG ma. I think they put in MPV because of FC bro.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Why not. Veyron also DSG ma. I think they put in MPV because of FC bro.
The DSG in Veyron is using a different technology I guess? Even though Audi and Porsche are under VW, their double clutch gearbox does not seem to be as problematic as DSG from VW...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Cannot help, very disturbing. Blocking some parts and making it hard to read.....hahahahahha

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

VW still have other issues. Read news on the picketing outside VW HQ.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Perodua still doing re-badging, so their cars can considered JDM....:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Cannot help, very disturbing. Blocking some parts and making it hard to read.....hahahahahha

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

VW still have other issues. Read news on the picketing outside VW HQ.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Perodua still doing re-badging, so their cars can considered JDM....:biggrin:
Yeah, I've read before about that news. That was around 2 months ago. VW owners doing a riot infront of the hq with banners and sign boards. Maybe some of these self proclaimed rich VW owners are also doing this kind of things. :biggrin:

Perodua every car also rebadge. The recent news is, they are now trying to implement Daihatsu manufacturing methods for their new models. Seems like more rebadge coming soon.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah, I've read before about that news. That was around 2 months ago. VW owners doing a riot infront of the hq with banners and sign boards. Maybe some of these self proclaimed rich VW owners are also doing this kind of things. :biggrin:

Perodua every car also rebadge. The recent news is, they are now trying to implement Daihatsu manufacturing methods for their new models. Seems like more rebadge coming soon.
Japanese Quality.....:biggrin::biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If you are buying a car, get DCT.
If you are buying a transportation tool, get CVT.

End of story.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i dont think they put DSG for better FC. DSG to avoid loss of power and smoother transmission.
Article I read before.....
Direct Shift Gearbox

The Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG), otherwise known as the twin clutch, was created to eliminate the interference of power between the engine and transmission. The way the DSG transmission works is that one gear shifts in odd numbers, while the other gear shifts in even. The clutch starts the odd gearbox and the car starts running in first gear. Both the SMT and DSG have matching revved downshifts. Because of this, shifting gears isn't accompanied by jerking forward as in traditional cars. The DSG is completely computerized, which provides smoother transitions of power.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Article I read before.....
Direct Shift Gearbox

The Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG), otherwise known as the twin clutch, was created to eliminate the interference of power between the engine and transmission. The way the DSG transmission works is that one gear shifts in odd numbers, while the other gear shifts in even. The clutch starts the odd gearbox and the car starts running in first gear. Both the SMT and DSG have matching revved downshifts. Because of this, shifting gears isn't accompanied by jerking forward as in traditional cars. The DSG is completely computerized, which provides smoother transitions of power.
In theory, this concept is good. But in usual daily use where parts are susceptible to wear and tear, more parts in a gearbox means a higher percentage of something to break down as well. All these electronics or computerized stuffs are not exactly cheap to replace. If let's say I am searching at the used car market for an old car, I won't choose the one with a DSG just to be safe.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
In theory, this concept is good. But in usual daily use where parts are susceptible to wear and tear, more parts in a gearbox means a higher percentage of something to break down as well. All these electronics or computerized stuffs are not exactly cheap to replace. If let's say I am searching at the used car market for an old car, I won't choose the one with a DSG just to be safe.
Manual like what you have now:driver:......hahahahahha:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi to everyone, is there anyone here still rocking on a wira in 2020? Would like to know any modifications guide / maintenance I should do to get some performance in my old wira hehe. Since the car is quite old and I think I should do some maintenance of the car to keep it running good. Is there any DIY cleaning or maintenance I should do?

Things I already done:
- Cleaning spark plugs
- Engine Bay cleaning
- Fuel Filter change
- Engine Oil & Oil Filter Change (Motul 4100 turbolight)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience