CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

max327

Aug 16, 2010
N/A
did u really understand what is cps??? Cps control valve profile, by `off` use low lobe, and `on` use high lobe.
What u r talking is u misunderstanding mechanism of cps.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

newer mivec is run variable timing oni, no run high/low cam anymore.
first i had to emphasis the "4 stages CPS" is just my wild idea.

fully understood.
so how is the CPS "off" and "on" being accomplish?
CPS use hydraulic tappet to do it. the inner tappet is always in-sync with the valve stem, but only in-sync with the low lobe when off
when "on" the inner and out tappet will be lock together by the hydraulic actuated sliding pin. since the outer tappet is in-sync with the outer tappet, the valve will be operated by the high lobe.

what kind of high/low profile (which includes timing,duration,lift) the lobes have is up to the manufacturer (proton, porsche, land rover), or even after market parts manufacturer.

thanks for reminding me of the valvetronic, but it's in the league of it's own, CONTINUOUS valve lifting (vs stages in VTEC/CPS...)

thanks for correcting, the latest MIVEC no longer provide variable valve lift.

Last edited:

max327

Aug 16, 2010
N/A
while my previous post explain the difference of CPS (which uses the tappet) vs other cam lifting techno, take note most other techno use rocker arms (VTEC, VVL, MIVEC) to make the cam shifting.

CPS as use in campro cps is similar to porsche variocam plus, just that porsche also have the VVT (like i-vtec)

the middle picture shows "high lift", the little green part in the tappet is engaged, locking the outer and inner tappet. low cam not touching the inner tappet.

picture on the right shows "low lift", the inner tappet seems "protrude" out to touch the low cam in the middle. actually is the high lift cam on the outside pushing the outer tappet down without acting on the valve.

below is a bigger picture showing the "low lift". sliding pin in red not engaging.

the inner tappet ALWAYS contact with the valve.

Attachments

max327

Aug 16, 2010
N/A
knowing that CPS is comparable to VTEC, MIVEC, most people immediately compare CAMPRO CPS to B16A and 4G92 MIVEC. then draw conclusion that CPS is inferior to VTEC, MIVEC.

this is not fair, cause in B16A and 4G92 MIVEC the variable valve lift is being employed on both intake and exhaust. while Campro CPS only have it on the intake.

another fact that had never been mentioned in this tread is the BORE and STROKE.

campro CPS 76 x 88 mm (small bore, long stroke)

B16A 81 x 77.4 mm
4G92 (mivec or non-mivec DOHC) 81 x 77.5 mm
big bore, short stroke, OVER SQUARE, HIGH revving.

so, base on the bore and stroke design, CAMPRO CPS was never design to be a high revving engine.

power = torque x RPM/k (k is a constant)

so loosing the high RPM capability also means loosing on HP

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

so, it will be more fair to compare the CAMPRO CPS to a current generation engine which comply with the current emission regulation and with variable lift on intake only.

take the honda civic FD2's K20Z2 DOHC i-VTEC with the variable valve lift on intake cam (and advantage of variable timing control)
1998cc
86x86mm (square)
155 hp @ 6000 rpm
188 N·m @ 4500 rpm
specific horsepower 77.6hp/liter

CAMPRO CPS, DOHC, variable valve lift on intake
1598cc
76 x 88 mm
125 bhp (93 kW; 127 PS) at 6,500 rpm
150 N·m (110 ft·lbf) of torque at 4,500 rpm
specific horsepower 78.2hp/liter

now, you shall see that the CAMPRO CPS got pretty comparable performance to a current generation engine with singe variable vale lift (and also VTC).
isn't that pretty impressive?at least on paper.

wait till the CPS being implement on both side. then we shall see.

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Let's me clearify again.

Latest i-Vtec, Mivec are establish to acheive Euro 4 emission control.
Thus, all the technologies are apply on intake cam only.
So, cannot compare with those 90s v-tec and mivec, which is no emission control.

Today, if no emission control on CPS engine, output for this engine should be capable to achieve 145ps.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
What about the latest Vios with Dual VVT-I and the 7-speed Super CVT-I ? It sounds great and CVT-I is equivalent to Mitsubishi's INVEC III gearbox?

Boyzone, congrats. for being a Sr Member in ZTH and when is my turn to become one :P Yes, we hear you about the Euro 4 emission control...

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
What about the latest Vios with Dual VVT-I and the 7-speed Super CVT-I ? It sounds great and CVT-I is equivalent to Mitsubishi's INVEC III gearbox?

Boyzone, congrats. for being a Sr Member in ZTH and when is my turn to become one :P Yes, we hear you about the Euro 4 emission control...
Thx bro..

5 yrs ++ in ZTH
Time passing so fast.
Actually, Toyota is put a lot of technologies interm of fuel efficiency.
Their road map is from FC.:driver:

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
guys,if anyone of you know kendrick aka SoYouThinkYouCanDrive aka zthis aka iltbzth aka sr18autech aka tigger5251 aka dorift0 aka nurburing aka zthissohai aka foofis aka newbienissan, pls tell him to stop stir things up.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...tention-to-all-forumers-on-kendrick-wong.html

not intend to get off topic but i've seen he is kinda active in this thread so i believe some of u guys mind know him in person.pls pass the message to him if possible.

jerry tan

May 23, 2010
Selangor
VTEC = variable valve timing & electronic shift control
MIVEC = Mitsubishi intelligent variable valve electronic shift control
VVT-i = variable valve timing - intelligent
DVVT = dynamic variable valve timing

and finally
CPS = cha piah sistem

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
guys,if anyone of you know kendrick aka SoYouThinkYouCanDrive aka zthis aka iltbzth aka sr18autech aka tigger5251 aka dorift0 aka nurburing aka zthissohai aka foofis aka newbienissan, pls tell him to stop stir things up.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...tention-to-all-forumers-on-kendrick-wong.html

not intend to get off topic but i've seen he is kinda active in this thread so i believe some of u guys mind know him in person.pls pass the message to him if possible.
thank u moderator 5115,
plz dont edit anything, im discussing perfectly well here, and also alot ppl pm me as well too. just get on with live peaceful, nothing personal

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Hahaha...jerry...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We have had some unique rides come in to the detailien HIVE.

This being Malaysia, we don't usually receive many rides from America.

We were lucky to have this guest drop by the detailien HIVE...

R/T (Road/Track).

Charger...

Dodge Charger R/T...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience