CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
limp mode is it?? i know that mitsu's stuck in limp tend to do just that. on 90's mitsu's it can be caused by many things, tho most commonly, atf low.
It's a Mitsui Gearbox.... can't be due to ATF low... already checked.... maybe sensors, TCU, etc

This gearbox issue only happens to Waja? How about cars with CPS Technology?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
this actually isn't a normal problem. CPS cars have issues with the IAFM/CPS module itself, rarely anything on the GB. Did your car experience any flooding recently? Do you know where your TCU is physically located? Was there any accident damage recently? Anything happened prior to this failure?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
It's a Mitsui Gearbox.... can't be due to ATF low... already checked.... maybe sensors, TCU, etc

Its going to be a high mileage car so chances are some bad sensor or a worn out seal causing intermittent loaa of hydraulic pressure.

Or if one is very2 lucky,just some loose connector which trick the ecu that there is a fault and engage safe mode.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
this actually isn't a normal problem. CPS cars have issues with the IAFM/CPS module itself, rarely anything on the GB. Did your car experience any flooding recently? Do you know where your TCU is physically located? Was there any accident damage recently? Anything happened prior to this failure?
No flood, no accident... nothing happened prior to this issue... it's not my car actually but my friend's car

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Its going to be a high mileage car so chances are some bad sensor or a worn out seal causing intermittent loaa of hydraulic pressure.

Or if one is very2 lucky,just some loose connector which trick the ecu that there is a fault and engage safe mode.
Sensors can be the problem... hard to know since there is no check engine light coming out according to my friend.

For loose connector, unsure also

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Sensors can be the problem... hard to know since there is no check engine light coming out according to my friend.

For loose connector, unsure also
The fact that it goes into safemode means the TCU detects a fault and i do belive the TCU recorded the fault.

The gearbox still changes gear before it goes into safemode so i would say its not solenoid problem.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

this is speaking from other's experience with mitsu gearboxes (not waja gear boxes mind you), some of the simpler things that can cause this 'limp mode' are, atf (ok you checked this), atf filter clogged, FUSES (in mitsu's there are a few fuses that have something to do with the gb)..... or if your car has this feature, sometimes you can mess and tap with the obd port to pull error codes?

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
The fact that it goes into safemode means the TCU detects a fault and i do belive the TCU recorded the fault.

The gearbox still changes gear before it goes into safemode so i would say its not solenoid problem.
I believe so....

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
this is speaking from other's experience with mitsu gearboxes (not waja gear boxes mind you), some of the simpler things that can cause this 'limp mode' are, atf (ok you checked this), atf filter clogged, FUSES (in mitsu's there are a few fuses that have something to do with the gb)..... or if your car has this feature, sometimes you can mess and tap with the obd port to pull error codes?
..I learnt that the GB Filter can't be changed just like that... need to remove the GB as it's sealed together with the GB... I asked the car expert and he told me that if there is no check engine light, then there is no way to check where the problem comes... can be sensors, can be this and that.... the used GB alone costs ~RM3k...

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
..I learnt that the GB Filter can't be changed just like that... need to remove the GB as it's sealed together with the GB... I asked the car expert and he told me that if there is no check engine light, then there is no way to check where the problem comes... can be sensors, can be this and that.... the used GB alone costs ~RM3k...
correct more often than not, you got to pull it out to access the filter. no tranny light, have to check manually i guess. Used tranny should cost less than that, you can check on mudah. I dont believe that that gb is a gb on demand
Or ask the waja club on fb, they seem quite active (take their advise with a pinch of salt, their community strongly **and blindly** believes in the use of surbos, nitro obd plugins and the whole bunch of completely useless stuff)

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
correct more often than not, you got to pull it out to access the filter. no tranny light, have to check manually i guess. Used tranny should cost less than that, you can check on mudah. I dont believe that that gb is a gb on demand
Or ask the waja club on fb, they seem quite active (take their advise with a pinch of salt, their community strongly **and blindly** believes in the use of surbos, nitro obd plugins and the whole bunch of completely useless stuff)
Thanks for the great inputs Bro... appreciate it.... I am just helping a friend to troubleshoot his GB issue... need to find the lowest cost to fix this issue.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
On another note, would flushing the ATF and putting a GB treatment help in this case? I believe it can help a bit if it's due to mechanical issue i.e. GB itself... if it's due to TCU, Sensors, etc... then it might not help....

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
On another note, would flushing the ATF and putting a GB treatment help in this case? I believe it can help a bit if it's due to mechanical issue i.e. GB itself... if it's due to TCU, Sensors, etc... then it might not help....
well.... usually if anyone wants to attempt to fix it without having the pull it all out, thats one of the first steps taken. Is your friend's name nukman by any chance?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
When was the last time you changed your ATF filter btw? If that is clogged it might explain why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work.

I'd suggest a full GB flush, ATF filter change and perhaps a Lubeguard red/platinum treatment as a start, if it doesn't do anything then you'll know it's electronic.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
well.... usually if anyone wants to attempt to fix it without having the pull it all out, thats one of the first steps taken. Is your friend's name nukman by any chance?
Nukman... unfortunately no.... it's a small world anyway.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I need help from Satri GTi owner here to confirm 2 things as my GTi (model year 1999 with MMC ECU and MAF) has been modified by previous owner to Mivec head and 275cc injector with adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I know the original injector is 240cc and wonder if there is anything else he change.

Questions:
1. can anyone help to identify what should be the correct MAF code for this car? (the 3 digit code on sensor)
2. what is the original ECU for this car? (the 4 digit code on...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience