CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

achmedrauff

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.onlyinmalaysiamah.com
Aiyor. Basically:

CPS utilizes an additional cam lobe to alter the cam duration and valve lift. Basically the same method as MIVEC and VTEC (eg. cam changes from 240 degrees to 288 degrees when VTEC activates. Valve lift also changes). However Proton merely designed it for normal and street use, think of it as a D15B VTEC (1.5 SOHC) level of performance.

There's nothing stopping Proton from engineering high performance camshafts coupled with engine tuning utilizing the same technology. Just a different implementation. Of course R&D will be necessary to ensure reliability, but its a very simple principle.

The Honda City's VTEC is the same technology as the Type-R's VTEC too, just different implementations. So you guys should only start comparing it to B or K series or even MIVEC engines when Proton releases an all-out "Type-R" CPS.

VVTi/DVVT/VANOS is a completely different idea, its basically an automated adjustable cam pulley that continuously adjusts itself to suit the engine RPM ranges. Cam profiles remain the same at all times, just the phases (ie: cam duration) advanced or retarded according to the ECU.

VVTL-i and I-VTEC implements both principles, so you get the best of both worlds.
I agree entirely~ it is even more logical to say that it has been done this way instead of that because of pure business reasons. Technology will always advance but novelty will not and this is what car manufacturers are enticing buyers with~ by giving is the tip of the iceberg rather than the whole iceberg it self.

By the way they also need more money to fund the development needed to come out with a more powerful variant~ so for now the CPS marketing strategy is spot on.... plus I am one of those suckered to place an order for one. But I am not regretting it.

Feb 27, 2009
hahahaha... wonder how poeple would react when Satria Neo CPS Type-R released? Hmmm..

achmedrauff

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
hahahaha... wonder how poeple would react when Satria Neo CPS Type-R released? Hmmm..
Whooaaa...before going that far I think it would be fair to see if the local tuners and track heads milk what the run of the mill CPS is good for. If there is enough feedback for it and the demand for aftermarket mod kits for the CPS then perhaps Proton could consider of making a stripped out cup or even a GTi-R for the masses to purchase.

Right about now I dont think the economic situation favours such niche markets.

But yes...if that day comes owh.. how sweet is it to put CPS-R or CPS-T mentioned in the same sentence of praise with MIVEC, VTEC and VANOS.

Feb 27, 2009
Whooaaa...before going that far I think it would be fair to see if the local tuners and track heads milk what the run of the mill CPS is good for. If there is enough feedback for it and the demand for aftermarket mod kits for the CPS then perhaps Proton could consider of making a stripped out cup or even a GTi-R for the masses to purchase.

But yes...if that day comes owh.. how sweet is it to put CPS-R or CPS-T mentioned in the same sentence of praise with MIVEC, VTEC and VANOS.
hehehehhehe... dont u worry achmedrauff, it will. But what i've heard, proton is very looking forward for Turbo Tech. Probably for their MPV.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor

R3 already offering Neo Clubsport.

1300cc chassis stripped out of all unnecessary weight, plonk in a 1600cc mildly tune campro engine (120+hp).....and a roll cage fitted....... and it's road legal!

furthermore,the cup version on the way oso..

achmedrauff

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
R3 already offering Neo Clubsport.

1300cc chassis stripped out of all unnecessary weight, plonk in a 1600cc mildly tune campro engine (120+hp).....and a roll cage fitted....... and it's road legal!

furthermore,the cup version on the way oso..
Well, a one make series is certainly good~ would be better to compete with other cars in the same group.

R3 is doing a great job~ however I think Proton is not taking their ideas seriously..... in the truest form a real replacement for the GTi should be produced. It makes perfect sense since the old one was good but do not make it a one hit wonder.

Try my specs for an bang up to date GTi....

Campro CPS bored out to 1800cc / Campro CPS with wilder cam profiling and updated pistons, gaskets etc...Cross Drilled Brakes, LSD, Leather interior includes recaros, dual airbags. And make the stereo an option..... Their standard issues are not that great anyway.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Well, a one make series is certainly good~ would be better to compete with other cars in the same group.

R3 is doing a great job~ however I think Proton is not taking their ideas seriously..... in the truest form a real replacement for the GTi should be produced. It makes perfect sense since the old one was good but do not make it a one hit wonder.

Try my specs for an bang up to date GTi....

Campro CPS bored out to 1800cc / Campro CPS with wilder cam profiling and updated pistons, gaskets etc...Cross Drilled Brakes, LSD, Leather interior includes recaros, dual airbags. And make the stereo an option..... Their standard issues are not that great anyway.
i've heard that kleeman was on a verge to sign mou wif proton.. that sparks rumours saying that neo gti retains 1.6l engine but with kleeman supercharger.... dunno what happen then

achmedrauff

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
i've heard that kleeman was on a verge to sign mou wif proton.. that sparks rumours saying that neo gti retains 1.6l engine but with kleeman supercharger.... dunno what happen then

Aiyooo...no need partner with Kleeman laaaa......once all start Made in Malaysia stay made in Malaysia leee.... That R&D center is for what? Testing power windows only izzit?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Let's give them a chance. I have a feeling that something might come up soon. The guys at R3 sure is tinkering on the hidden potential of CPS.

Since the CPS is having the VIM together. Will changing the intake pipes to aftermarket intake pipe will affect the engine output?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Aiyooo...no need partner with Kleeman laaaa......once all start Made in Malaysia stay made in Malaysia leee.... That R&D center is for what? Testing power windows only izzit?
waaa.. so harsh la you.....

erm.... Malaysian dun have expertise in supercharging... not like turbocharging....maybe that's why....i think the mou for OEM kot?

Let's give them a chance. I have a feeling that something might come up soon. The guys at R3 sure is tinkering on the hidden potential of CPS.

Since the CPS is having the VIM together. Will changing the intake pipes to aftermarket intake pipe will affect the engine output?
i think it shud be ok... since the system only alter the intake manifold path (shorter/longer)

achmedrauff

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
waaa.. so harsh la you.....

erm.... Malaysian dun have expertise in supercharging... not like turbocharging....maybe that's why....i think the mou for OEM kot?

i think it shud be ok... since the system only alter the intake manifold path (shorter/longer)
Wah serious~ damn....this is good for experimenting.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
If talking about tuning Proton cars. The 1st tuner that come into my mind is NS Performance. I've read some of the car they did and it's quite impressive. Another would be NS Drag.

achmedrauff

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
OK, so we know the baseline figures for a 1.6 CPS.
125bhp at the flywheel.... now realistically that would be like 100bhp-105bhp at the wheels.
So lets list what mods that would most probably give the CPS a 120bhp-125bhp at the wheels...

Who would like to start? Owh and do make the cost bearable... and no Cap Ayam stuff.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
OK, so we know the baseline figures for a 1.6 CPS.
125bhp at the flywheel.... now realistically that would be like 100bhp-105bhp at the wheels.
So lets list what mods that would most probably give the CPS a 120bhp-125bhp at the wheels...

Who would like to start? Owh and do make the cost bearable... and no Cap Ayam stuff.
as bro titanrev sez... ns performance aka powerzone is a good start.... plus they're offering a supercharger kit :listen:

ns drag? :adore:

owner of the fastest kancil in s.east asia....

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Papa, NS Drag old workshop used to be very close to my factory area. Now they move to bigger premise already. Don't know where. They are pros...

Also Powerzone is a very potential tuner house because from what I see they offer very complete upgrade for Proton cars.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After a short break from last Oct’s major HKS dominated 2-day weekend time attack event with NOB taking center stage piloting monstrous HKS GT1000+ GTR that had inspired the entire competition and the turnout was huge.

it certainly was the greatest event in the history of our existence. Now...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience