CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
true, reliability and consistency ......coz no point inventing a car that can have all sort of technologies but end of the day laying in workshop more than we driving it...

for CPS the power comes around 4500rpm until bout 6500 to 6800rpm then u its cut off...

Feb 27, 2009
My point of view, CPS is just a correction done by proton to improve the torque curve of their old campro engine. Have tested the Waja with CPS engine b4, quite impressive with the respond from the CPS. or i would say very-very respondsive if compare to old campro engine, which have no power/torque at lower rpm 3000-4000 rpm.

Engine roars like hell, but i like it. Feels like driving a pure racing car on the street. hehehe. For thread host, if u want to compare CPS with, VTEC kecik, yessss... CPS performanace is almost the same. ( not the one with i-vtec haaaaaaaaa) hehehhehe

Bump: My point of view, CPS is just a correction done by proton to improve the torque curve of their old campro engine. Have tested the Waja with CPS engine b4, quite impressive with the respond from the CPS. or i would say very-very respondsive if compare to old campro engine, which have no power/torque at lower rpm 3000-4000 rpm.

Engine roars like hell, but i like it. Feels like driving a pure racing car on the street. hehehe. For thread host, if u want to compare CPS with, VTEC kecik, yessss... CPS performanace is almost the same. ( not the one with i-vtec haaaaaaaaa) hehehhehe

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
I fully agree that reliability and durability are the key points when a technology is tested to its limit...no point having a car which has many hp but always, 'gantung' in the workshop for repair...

I hv driven a GEN 2 with campro engine....the feel of the engine, was like really heavy when the RPM reached around >5k... of course, the sound of the engine was like screaming out loud..haha... I would say, it has a mid range torque, bad acceleration and for top end, I should say it is not bad at all since most of the times, I observed Waja and Gen 2 were always on the overtaking lanes...

Also, if we compared the performance in terms of power to weight ratio, maybe Satria Neo with Campro CPS has a better advantage though...what say you?

I am sure those high performance workshops would consider adding more horsepower to this CPS technology by all means of modifications...anyone heard of B.O.T. on CPS engine thus far?...

It is interesting to know, how well we know about our local flavor of CPS engine...what could be done to further enhance its performance to gain a respectable hp.

I am not sure how I-VTEC would perform....but the new Honda City has the highest HP in its 1.5L catergory...salute..

Hope to get more discussions on this topic...

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
from what i've heard.... the CPS used now is not the full blown one... same as 9266 sez, the current CPS implementation are used to address the weakness of the current campro...

maybe the full blown one will be use in the rumored neo gti? even R3 is hinted that they are researching the full CPS capabilities...

at least what i've read in a magazine recently :hmmmm:

achmedrauff

Known Member
Sep 4, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.onlyinmalaysiamah.com
cant agree more...

Pushing the limits of CPS from the get go would be tough and could cost a lot of damage. However it would be very interesting to see what a unichip or piggy back ecu could do to a stock CPS. Then we have R3 fettling freely coupled with the best resources to go about tweaking the daylights out of the CAMPRO+CPS block. Mind you that unlike vtec that only has variable cams CPS has variable intake as well which is very much a proven concept by BMW with their Vanos engines.

Variable Cams + Variable Intake = Possiblities?

Just hope the stock standard units are engineered to a very high treshold. Otherwise its back to the drawing board to re-engineer the innards with stronger parts.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
CPS = VTEC? its good news then:driver:

shudve made more horsies and has more lower end grunt since it has a valve-lifting mechanism

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
if campro CPS can produce 10hp per 100cc...and selling price @ 60k in neo.....,lot of peaple will buy it probably hehe

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
You got to be joking~
Even Honda with it's VTec in the early days did not get that much and when it did that figure is only reserved for it's type R variants.
i'm hoping that will happen heheh:)...btw is it because of the budget or proton lack of knowledge in designing the engine to achieve it?my thought is because of the budget not because of knowledge...

et5828

1,500 RPM
Sep 13, 2004
Visit site
Correct me if i'm wrong, DVVT engage every RPM in the gear which make the intake valve lift longer. Hence, more power and better acceleration.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
I am sure Proton has enhanced its knowledge in terms of R&D as it has Lotus who would help in all angles of development.

We haven't heard any new GTI coming out after the previously successful Satria GTI model...or maybe, a R3 retuned CPS would do the trick. In any way, no one has seen the true potential of this CPS engine yet. As usual, people only talk about VTEC, VVTI, DVVT or Turbo or supercharger...what about CPS? The most recent promotion of CPS was the newly launched Satria Neo with CPS engine management.

All in all, cost is also part of the reason why this is not done and that is not done... 10hp per 100cc is something that everyone wants to achieve it but what would it cost and in terms of reliability...?

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Aiyor. Basically:

CPS utilizes an additional cam lobe to alter the cam duration and valve lift. Basically the same method as MIVEC and VTEC (eg. cam changes from 240 degrees to 288 degrees when VTEC activates. Valve lift also changes). However Proton merely designed it for normal and street use, think of it as a D15B VTEC (1.5 SOHC) level of performance.

There's nothing stopping Proton from engineering high performance camshafts coupled with engine tuning utilizing the same technology. Just a different implementation. Of course R&D will be necessary to ensure reliability, but its a very simple principle.

The Honda City's VTEC is the same technology as the Type-R's VTEC too, just different implementations. So you guys should only start comparing it to B or K series or even MIVEC engines when Proton releases an all-out "Type-R" CPS.

VVTi/DVVT/VANOS is a completely different idea, its basically an automated adjustable cam pulley that continuously adjusts itself to suit the engine RPM ranges. Cam profiles remain the same at all times, just the phases (ie: cam duration) advanced or retarded according to the ECU.

VVTL-i and I-VTEC implements both principles, so you get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Hi Zeroed,
Thanks for your detailed walkthrough about the CPS... there are some videos on Youtube about CPS engine though...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i willing to pay more to get other car than Plotong loh...wei...becareful loh..we cannot said bad about the Plotong loh..or else later kena case like the "Negaruku" loh..later kena sue cos no loyalty to Malaysia just bcos we dun wanna buy Plotong pula...kekekeke:D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience