Converted Car Chassis. Is it worth it?

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
That means even for EK4 Civic SiR, the chassis is same with the rest of the EK lineup including our local CKD chassis?
As far as I know, yes. Only the front OEM strut bar is different. EK4's has different design (without hinges) compared to local EK model (with hinges).

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
if dong full car spot weld will be much more stiffer than oem chassis, that one is race preparation for race dy
But do you think if lets say someone do a full spot weld on a Wira 1.5 or maybe Wira 1.8 C99 chassis, can they achieve the kind of stiffness in your CD9A? I don't think so after seeing your photos of areas with reinforced welds in Evo.

As far as I know, yes. Only the front OEM strut bar is different. EK4's has different design (without hinges) compared to local EK model (with hinges).
All EK came with strut bar originally?

If all EK chassis are same except for EK9, that probably explains why people are selling converted EK hatch at such high price. Since it doesn't matter whether they are local EK or JDM EK4 chassis, they are equally as good.

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
IMG_4512_0FhF_1.jpg

Much more stiffer, mean for race use

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
All EK came with strut bar originally?

If all EK chassis are same except for EK9, that probably explains why people are selling converted EK hatch at such high price. Since it doesn't matter whether they are local EK or JDM EK4 chassis, they are equally as good.
ek9's, dc2's most type R's are the same as evos, they have some additional welds here and there.... errrr iirc rear towers and backside section are reinforced, duno whats diferent up front.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Even after spot welding, will the chassis be strong enough? I remember one of your old quotes about a Putra with chassis cracks.

Your quote back then.
Yes. But key word is "regularly went track". If you're planning to go track regularly - then I'd probably do more than spot welding. If it's just a daily drive, cracking a C99 chassis is going to be a tough affair.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
View attachment 562446

Much more stiffer, mean for race use
I see. So it is actually possible to further reinforce a weaker chassis with this race use method.

ek9's, dc2's most type R's are the same as evos, they have some additional welds here and there.... errrr iirc rear towers and backside section are reinforced, duno whats diferent up front.
The Type R variants are definitely having reinforced chassis. But how about those one step below Type R models? The Civic SiR chassis? Or the Integra SiR?

Yes. But key word is "regularly went track". If you're planning to go track regularly - then I'd probably do more than spot welding. If it's just a daily drive, cracking a C99 chassis is going to be a tough affair.
So, that is the key point then. If one does not go to track often, a C99 chassis will be strong enough even for powerful engine swaps.

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Chasis
EK3 vs EK9 - Different
GTS/GTT vs GTR - Different
Satria vs Satria R3 - Different
Lancer vs Evo - Different
FD vs Type R - Different

How about Satria vs Satria GTi ? & WRX vs WRX STi

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Chasis
EK3 vs EK9 - Different
FD vs Type R - Different

Well, those that you listed are clearly very different. The same goes for normal Satria C96,C97,C98 VS C99 Satria GTi. WRX vs WRX STI depends on which generation. The newer generations starting from GD chassis had a different chassis code for WRX and WRX STI. But the older GC8 are same I believe because WRX and WRX STI chassis are called GC8.

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Any idea how different is normal Satria vs Satria GTi. Thanks

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Chasis
EK3 vs EK9 - Different
FD vs Type R - Different

wana confirm.... you are talking about th neo r3 and the neo right??

iirc no difference in the chassis between these 2 models (i think)

also, later batch r3 neo's are basically normal neo's with some r3 gear while the earlier batch limited edition r3's are actually performance oriented from my understanding

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
For me more stress on chassis driving on the street than track, due to special pathhole road in bolehland

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Any idea how different is normal Satria vs Satria GTi. Thanks
GTi's chassis is stiffer and more reinforced than normal Satria chassis.

wana confirm.... you are talking about th neo r3 and the neo right??

iirc no difference in the chassis between these 2 models (i think)

also, later batch r3 neo's are basically normal neo's with some r3 gear while the earlier batch limited edition r3's are actually performance oriented from my understanding
The normal Neo R3 is just some Neo with added accessories. Unless you are talking about the limited edition Neo R3 Lotus Racing that comes in Lotus Racing Green.

As for the older GTi R3, I think that one comes with an even stronger C99 chassis.

Now that Satria and C99 topic has been brought up, anyone here actually knows is a C99 Satria GTi chassis as good as an original Mirage Cyborg-R CA4A chassis? The Mirage that came with 4G92 MIVEC.

For me more stress on chassis driving on the street than track, due to special pathhole road in bolehland
Can potholes actually crack a chassis? Cracking wheels, yes, but chassis? :confused:

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
years ago , not to bash or what, but there is a perodua viva owner put on photo to ask help for repair strut tower,cause hentam lubang besar,rim bengkok crack then strut tower spot weld also detached.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
GTi's chassis is stiffer and more reinforced than normal Satria chassis.

The normal Neo R3 is just some Neo with added accessories. Unless you are talking about the limited edition Neo R3 Lotus Racing that comes in Lotus Racing Green.

As for the older GTi R3, I think that one comes with an even stronger C99 chassis.

Now that Satria and C99 topic has been brought up, anyone here actually knows is a C99 Satria GTi chassis as good as an original Mirage Cyborg-R CA4A chassis? The Mirage that came with 4G92 MIVEC.

Can potholes actually crack a chassis? Cracking wheels, yes, but chassis? :confused:
speaking about the neo's there are so many variants...
r3 clubsport - mild looking, had cage #win
r3 limited editions - i think these had a fancy plate with the number
r3 kited - nothing but kit, fancy seats, trim
r3 lotus ediion - green and this had the most fancy bits and power

if im not wrong, chassis used for all of em are the same, the clubsport had the extra cage and that was about it

i guess if the pothole is large enough and the force was great enough to bottom out your suspension and transmit enough force to mess everything up... yeah i guess?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Has anyone here bought those hammers for breaking glass in times of emergencies? These hammers come in many shapes and sizes: some look like a regular hammer but with pointed metal tip and others look like a pocket knife (where you push a button and one sharp object pushes out).

These hammers/tools also have blades to cut seat belt in case we are stuck and need to get out.

But my burning question is: can this hammer be used on windows with security tint? I emailed one popular company...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience