Converted Car Chassis. Is it worth it?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'm sure most of you here have discussed or heard about chassis stiffness and rigidity in converted cars specifically for Proton chassis with high powered Mitsubishi engines like 4G63T. For Proton's case, many will agree that some of these chassis will not be able to take the stress from the engine and cracks might develop somewhere in the chassis later after continuous usage. So, we can say that these chassis developed for ordinary road cars may not be suitable to withstand the stress from high powered engines.

However, my question in this thread is not about Proton as they have been discussed over and over again. So, I want to ask, how about the chassis of other makes? Especially those from Honda Civic. Are those chassis like EG3, EG4, EK2, EK3, EJ, EH and all that good enough to handle engines like B18C Type R or maybe even K20A? How different are these performance Honda chassis like EG6, EG9, EK4, EK9 compared to these non performance chassis? Will these converted chassis eventually develop cracks or deformation after prolonged usage?

I'm not limiting this thread discussion for Honda cars only. How about others like maybe E100 Corolla 1.3 with 4A-GE 20 Valve engine?

Attachments

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
just add on extra chassis welding & UR bars.
welding more points... illegal kan....... not that they check i guess?

far as strength goes....
beemer's m spec cars (least the old ones) also slightly beza

i think that if the gains are not so significant.... no issuelah, depends on the body. wira tu... from less than 100 to 280.... thats about 3x.... which is really a stupid amount of power :rofl:(stupid fun ofc)

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
if use for daily drive, should be sufficient with those add on mention by bro Danz.
If want to floor till red line all the time, apa pun koyak. Matter of time and materials quality.

Some pomen thought i swap 93t to race. Why ? swap engine must race ah ...hehehehe
I want to learn about engine hands on only, suspension setting, wiring, evoscan software, idling...etc
Can get parts easily too. Plenty resources about 4g engine in internet.
Instead of theory.

I dun need to buy avantador to learn about car mahhh. :smokin:

Last edited:

hon_cs

Known Member

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
From business standpoint, manufacturer will try to save cost as much as possible. Example normal lancer and evo. I believe overall chassis will use the same steel grade except those area always get more stretch and cheapest solution is to put more welding with higher steel grade. That's why you can always read mitsu claimed newer evo more responsive rather than power improvement.

Another fact is manufacturer usually come out with a chassis cater for different engine displacement. A same chassis can be use from 1.3 to 2.0.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
welding more points... illegal kan....... not that they check i guess?

far as strength goes....
beemer's m spec cars (least the old ones) also slightly beza

i think that if the gains are not so significant.... no issuelah, depends on the body. wira tu... from less than 100 to 280.... thats about 3x.... which is really a stupid amount of power :rofl:(stupid fun ofc)
Just weld as long as it is not apparent. If you are driving Proton or Perodua, better not because they are always victim of roadblock.

Well, there are also some old Civic EG 1.3 and some put in B18CR into them.

if use for daily drive, should be sufficient with those add on mention by bro Danz.
If want to floor till red line all the time, apa pun koyak. Matter of time and materials quality.

Some pomen thought i swap 93t to race. Why ? swap engine must race ah ...hehehehe
I want to learn about engine hands on only, suspension setting, wiring, evoscan software, idling...etc
Can get parts easily too. Plenty resources about 4g engine in internet.
Instead of theory.

I dun need to buy avantador to learn about car mahhh. :smokin:
In some cases, adding too many bars might make the car overly stiff and stress might transfer to weaker areas of the chassis. If the chassis is not built for performance in the first place, making it too stiff might not be a good idea.

You tell the foreman if you want to race, you put in 4G63T already. :biggrin:

From business standpoint, manufacturer will try to save cost as much as possible. Example normal lancer and evo. I believe overall chassis will use the same steel grade except those area always get more stretch and cheapest solution is to put more welding with higher steel grade. That's why you can always read mitsu claimed newer evo more responsive rather than power improvement.

Another fact is manufacturer usually come out with a chassis cater for different engine displacement. A same chassis can be use from 1.3 to 2.0.
Heard before about Evo X's CZ4A chassis being stiffer than Evo VII, VIII and IX's CT9A chassis.

So, does this mean that if one decides to use a particular car for long term usage and mods, it is better to get a good chassis to begin with rather than settling down for a chassis taken from ordinary road car?

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
850cc Kelisa also can whack K3VET 1.3L which is a 53% increase in cc. Hundreds if not thousands running around.

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
for civic ek, if you know how to read a bit of chinese or japanese, the diagram said all the different with normal civic, extra bracing,seam welded chassis,thicker anti roll bar as well as thicker plate metal for chassis at specific point which is hard to be mimic with just feel chassis bar bracing.

ek9.jpg

and for lancer evolution,they keep on increasing the stiffness of the chassis ,from evo 123 gen to evo 456 gen mitsubishi claimed increased for 30%,evo 789 gen i dunno, but for evo 10 instead increase the spot weld,thicker metal and extra bracing,they are using new RISE structure which i believe will be increase more in the chassis strength as they mention the using of high tensile strength metal,go google it

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
850cc Kelisa also can whack K3VET 1.3L which is a 53% increase in cc. Hundreds if not thousands running around.
Same goes for those 2JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTE BMW. Some are probably 320i originally.

wira body cannot allow 2.0 also....hehehe
There is actually an official Wira 2.0 from Proton. The Wira diesel. But even that one is not allowed to transplant to 4G63T I think.

for civic ek, if you know how to read a bit of chinese or japanese, the diagram said all the different with normal civic, extra bracing,seam welded chassis,thicker anti roll bar as well as thicker plate metal for chassis at specific point which is hard to be mimic with just feel chassis bar bracing.

View attachment 562298

and for lancer evolution,they keep on increasing the stiffness of the chassis ,from evo 123 gen to evo 456 gen mitsubishi claimed increased for 30%,evo 789 gen i dunno, but for evo 10 instead increase the spot weld,thicker metal and extra bracing,they are using new RISE structure which i believe will be increase more in the chassis strength as they mention the using of high tensile strength metal,go google it
If the ordinary Civic chassis lacks so much compared to the performance Civic chassis, then I think those expensive converted Civic hatch selling for 40 to 70k is not worth the price with that kind of chassis. Sometimes, can even see EG hatch selling for over 50k despite not being an original EG6 Civic SiR chassis....

I heard that the RISE structure is used in the current Lancer too. So, should it be same for Inspira that is based on Lancer?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

View attachment 562298

Manufacturer have R&D and design team, they increase strength when they increase power. Our local mod of transplanting engine is by putting a more powerful engine into a car chassis not design for that power. Chassis sure cannot take the stress.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Manufacturer have R&D and design team, they increase strength when they increase power. Our local mod of transplanting engine is by putting a more powerful engine into a car chassis not design for that power. Chassis sure cannot take the stress.....lol
How about your VR, uncle? :biggrin:

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
Same goes for those 2JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTE BMW. Some are probably 320i originally.

There is actually an official Wira 2.0 from Proton. The Wira diesel. But even that one is not allowed to transplant to 4G63T I think.

If the ordinary Civic chassis lacks so much compared to the performance Civic chassis, then I think those expensive converted Civic hatch selling for 40 to 70k is not worth the price with that kind of chassis. Sometimes, can even see EG hatch selling for over 50k despite not being an original EG6 Civic SiR chassis....

I heard that the RISE structure is used in the current Lancer too. So, should it be same for Inspira that is based on Lancer?
Bothe are RISE structure, but lack of chassis reinforcement as i see between e10 and ordinary lancer, even diff rear strut tower structure.. And for lancer and inspira, from proton they say first batch are the same, dunno others, and their chassis i dunno as well, but i do saw different in quality, such as at the front strut tower under the mudguard, u can see that even chassis gum, for lancer is very uniformly applied on the metal, but inspira is like dog shit:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
ef pun ade....
god... cannot imagine whats it like...so light, so much power, that thing would be so fast.....

theres another form for a conversion exceeding 25% iirc.....
Eh, who attached a thumbnail pic on my first post? Maybe is Tom?

If speed and power to weight ratio is all that I am after, I will just go for EF or CR-X preferably EF9 Civic SiR or EF8 CR-X SiR chassis. Put in K series engine, K24 block with K20A head. Will be one of the NA king.

I'm quite sure that form is not allowed for Proton cars. :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Eh, who attached a thumbnail pic on my first post? Maybe is Tom?

If speed and power to weight ratio is all that I am after, I will just go for EF or CR-X preferably EF9 Civic SiR or EF8 CR-X SiR chassis. Put in K series engine, K24 block with K20A head. Will be one of the NA king.

I'm quite sure that form is not allowed for Proton cars. :biggrin:
yup.. its explicitly stated.... ALL protons other than the perdana (and i assume the inspira now as well:rolleyes:) xboleh

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
of course tom or admins.,,,,:biggrin:
Recently not much of active admins over here.

yup.. its explicitly stated.... ALL protons other than the perdana (and i assume the inspira now as well:rolleyes:) xboleh
But Perdana probably at most can only change back to another 2 litre. What other larger capacity engines that Perdana owners will go for.

Inspira can go for the larger 2.4 litre 4B12 engine found in Lancer Sportback. But since that one looks similar to 4B11, no one will notice the change even if unregistered or not endorsed unless they look at the engine number.

But what is their reasoning behind Proton cars can't go over 25% of their original engine displacement? Are they saying that Proton's chassis are not able to handle the stress from larger capacity engines?

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

But Perdana probably at most can only change back to another 2 litre. What other larger capacity engines that Perdana owners will go for.

Inspira can go for the larger 2.4 litre 4B12 engine found in Lancer Sportback. But since that one looks similar to 4B11, no one will notice the change even if unregistered or not endorsed unless they look at the engine number.

But what is their reasoning behind Proton cars can't go over 25% of their original engine displacement? Are they saying that Proton's chassis are not able to handle the stress from larger capacity engines?
perdana has choice to go up to 2.5 litre. 6a13tt if im not mistaken. There only 1 story i heard, perdana owner able to get puspakom approval on engine mounting change, but Proton mod the mounting. Seems legit to get puspakom approved in this case.

if proton does not have the 25%, there are alot of protonolution out there. :smokin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

haha perdanas.... duno if anyone pandai pandai shove in a terbalik 6a13.... something tells me somehow.. someone would probably have tried.....

back then... so many accidents involving those crazy evo converted cars with almost 0 attention to safety.... hantam pokok, the car literally obliterate themselves. there's a thread on these things here on zth long ago i think...

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
haha...stop them before it goes crazy.......:biggrin:
Im one of em...perdanalution, having perdana chassis is ok,doesnt feel light and stable at *high speed cruise 140-180. I would say 200 is max for comfort cruise. Perdana chassis la. Even so, the mounting weld cant support the torque 4g63t produce, saw few the welding spot koyak.

*Please do this at your own risk. During application, please make sure your engine and driveterrain at optimum performance. Dont cheapskate on tyre. :rofl:

back then... so many accidents involving those crazy evo converted cars with almost 0 attention to safety.... hantam pokok, the car literally obliterate themselves. there's a thread on these things here on zth long ago i think...
Need to find that thread...

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
perdana has choice to go up to 2.5 litre. 6a13tt if im not mistaken. There only 1 story i heard, perdana owner able to get puspakom approval on engine mounting change, but Proton mod the mounting. Seems legit to get puspakom approved in this case.

if proton does not have the 25%, there are alot of protonolution out there. :smokin:
I heard about this story before from Danzeterna too. Apparently this owner did modifications to the firewall with the help from Proton's engineers to get it all done legally. But this 6A13TT choice is an uncommon one. Most will just go for 4G63T since they are lighter, easier to get parts and less trouble to swap.

haha...stop them before it goes crazy.......:biggrin:
Already got the way to go around this rule but need more money. 4G67 block with 4G63T pistons and other parts.

haha perdanas.... duno if anyone pandai pandai shove in a terbalik 6a13.... something tells me somehow.. someone would probably have tried.....

Go Youtube, can find a video. Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7Aa2NuA38

There is one thread about a horror crash involving a Satria with 4G63T engine. Can search for it here.

Now we can probably conclude that Proton's chassis cannot take that much stress from 4G63T. But how about Honda cars? Those Civic with K20A? Will they develop cracks on chassis or they can withstand it? To be honest, I'm actually surprised that these K series swap on older Civic is allowed because modifications to mounting is definitely needed. Meanwhile, older Proton cars cannot be swapped with those newer 'terbalik' CK 4G9 and 4G6 engines legally. Not even the newer 4G15 turbo found in Colt is allowed...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Im one of em...perdanalution, having perdana chassis is ok,doesnt feel light and stable at *high speed cruise 140-180. I would say 200 is max for comfort cruise. Perdana chassis la. Even so, the mounting weld cant support the torque 4g63t produce, saw few the welding spot koyak.

*Please do this at your own risk. During application, please make sure your engine and driveterrain at optimum performance. Dont cheapskate on tyre. :rofl:

Need to find that thread...
Perdanalution is legal mah, Wiralution cannot.....lol:biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
I heard about this story before from Danzeterna too. Apparently this owner did modifications to the firewall with the help from Proton's engineers to get it all done legally. But this 6A13TT choice is an uncommon one. Most will just go for 4G63T since they are lighter, easier to get parts and less trouble to swap.

Already got the way to go around this rule but need more money. 4G67 block with 4G63T pistons and other parts.

Go Youtube, can find a video. Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7Aa2NuA38

There is one thread about a horror crash involving a Satria with 4G63T engine. Can search for it here.

Now we can probably conclude that Proton's chassis cannot take that much stress from 4G63T. But how about Honda cars? Those Civic with K20A? Will they develop cracks on chassis or they can withstand it? To be honest, I'm actually surprised that these K series swap on older Civic is allowed because modifications to mounting is definitely needed. Meanwhile, older Proton cars cannot be swapped with those newer 'terbalik' CK 4G9 and 4G6 engines legally. Not even the newer 4G15 turbo found in Colt is allowed...
my god... so much work needed to shove that 6a13 in.... the 6a13 is easier shoved into cars which are terbalik... only a crazy guy would try shove it into the perdana...

for kswaps, i also question why its allowed... makes no sense...
in their case, they can just buy off the shelf hasport mounts for the kswaps but dont know why its allowed since those are not the original mounts...

as to why old protons cannot swap to the newer ck 4g6/9's... wwell for one dah memang not allowed to shove in 2L engines.... and secondly.. wah mounts all kene fabricate.... heck even the neo which is already terbaliked needs another mount welded in.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
my god... so much work needed to shove that 6a13 in.... the 6a13 is easier shoved into cars which are terbalik... only a crazy guy would try shove it into the perdana...

for kswaps, i also question why its allowed... makes no sense...
in their case, they can just buy off the shelf hasport mounts for the kswaps but dont know why its allowed since those are not the original mounts...

as to why old protons cannot swap to the newer ck 4g6/9's... wwell for one dah memang not allowed to shove in 2L engines.... and secondly.. wah mounts all kene fabricate.... heck even the neo which is already terbaliked needs another mount welded in.
The 6A13TT project is just for the sake of uniqueness like dare to be different. Perhaps for the V6 engine sound also. If is about power, 4G63T is the much easier way.

I start to think that except Proton or maybe Perodua other kinds of ridiculous swap involving mounting modification can be passed somehow. Look at those older BMW or maybe Mercedes. People swapping in RB or JZ engines into them and yet still able to endorse. Actually, can these BMW or Mercedes chassis able to withstand the power of these powerful 6 cylinder engines?

Maybe 4G63T CK type is not allowed because of the 2 litre thing. Then how bout those CK 4G93T or 4G92 MIVEC. I know the mounts need to be fabricated but isn't that the same for other cars with engine transplant from different makes? Again, probably because they are Proton.

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
talk about bmw ijz, my fren old bmw collecting rust. He give up. Cant get good mecahnic kut. :hmmmm:
He planning to swap 1jz into toyota crown.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
talk about bmw ijz, my fren old bmw collecting rust. He give up. Cant get good mecahnic kut. :hmmmm:
He planning to swap 1jz into toyota crown.
So, is like can't transplant to BMW and now change plan to transplant to Crown?

peterj

1,000 RPM

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
That is a 1.8L engine, right? how to transfer the 4G63 stuff in?
Identical block, like 91 92 93,need rebore and put in all the internal from 4g63,redo oil squiters etc.. Much more job

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
The 6A13TT project is just for the sake of uniqueness like dare to be different. Perhaps for the V6 engine sound also. If is about power, 4G63T is the much easier way.

I start to think that except Proton or maybe Perodua other kinds of ridiculous swap involving mounting modification can be passed somehow. Look at those older BMW or maybe Mercedes. People swapping in RB or JZ engines into them and yet still able to endorse. Actually, can these BMW or Mercedes chassis able to withstand the power of these powerful 6 cylinder engines?

Maybe 4G63T CK type is not allowed because of the 2 litre thing. Then how bout those CK 4G93T or 4G92 MIVEC. I know the mounts need to be fabricated but isn't that the same for other cars with engine transplant from different makes? Again, probably because they are Proton.
hehe next time i show you something very interesting....hehehe

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Its sad to see old gen bmw like e36 plonk in jdm engine. Having powerful NA engine is fun and for now, halfcut for e36 is quite cheap compare to jdm. I thought there is thread in zth v8 iinm plonk in e34 kut. not sure.

Im not sure, but for conti car there is no 25% rule for engine swapping? is it true?

I wonder what is it :rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Show me via internet or in real when I visit PJ? :biggrin:

Its sad to see old gen bmw like e36 plonk in jdm engine. Having powerful NA engine is fun and for now, halfcut for e36 is quite cheap compare to jdm. I thought there is thread in zth v8 iinm plonk in e34 kut. not sure.

Im not sure, but for conti car there is no 25% rule for engine swapping? is it true?

I wonder what is it :rofl:
Soon, NA charm will be popular again due to most performance cars going for turbo. The NA sound, high revs and response will make them stand out more than forced induction. My friend who owns a E36 plans to put in a SR20DET into his car. He wants to try that first until he is bored, then only he will go for 2JZ-GTE. His E36 is a 318i. I wonder can the chassis take the power from a heavily modded 2JZ-GTE or not.

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
or his modded 2jz, too powerful until car not moving. :driver:
can keep 1st and 2nd gear in store.
must spend money d. launch control, electronics control....etc

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
or his modded 2jz, too powerful until car not moving. :driver:
can keep 1st and 2nd gear in store.
must spend money d. launch control, electronics control....etc
Sorry don't understand? Whose 2JZ? Your friend with Crown or my friend who plans to swap the 2JZ later?

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
ur friends plan to put 2jz in future....when tired of sr20det
my fren is take 1jz from bmw and put into crown.