Compression testing... the results.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Finally did that compression test today that I mentioned in the dyno results thread...

And I got these

Cylinder 1:195psi
Cylinder 2:205psi
Cylinder 3:195psi
Cylinder 4:215psi

And I thought cylinder two was leaking when I did it last time with 150 being the result of piston 2.. I must have made a mistake then.. maybe didn't screw in the gauge plug properly.

I wonder if you can estimate the dynamic compression ratio from this.. anyone?

patpaty

500 RPM
Jul 21, 2004
subang jaya,usj
wer u do tis?? how?? by a machine?? cost??

Cylinder 1:195psi
Cylinder 2:205psi
Cylinder 3:195psi
Cylinder 4:215psi

which psi is normal?? y diff??

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Nope.. just a regular compression pressure gauge and it's relevant fittings.. If you actually buy one, it's quite easy to use.. A good mechanic shop will have one, and it costs very little. Maybe about 20bucks or less, depending on how professional and reputable the mechanic is.

Disconnect distributor signal wire, remove all plugs, plug into one cyclinder at a time. Start the engine (it won't start, since there's no plugs!) and take the reading.. these are static compression pressure.. didn't have time to do a running compression test.

As to the purpose, it's to test cylinder sealing.. to see if your sleeves or piston rings are worn out or not, resulting in compression loss which = lost power = consume quite a heavy amount of engine oil.

The different numbers indicate that I do lose a bit off pressure on cylinder 1 and 3, which means that it's slightly worn out compared to the cylinder 2 and 4.

I'm told 140-150psi is normal... but as you can see... I get different numbers. From what I'm told, it doesn't matter much, just that if one of your cylinders is reading a lot less than the others, it means the cylinder isn't sealing well, either because of cylinder liner wear, or piston ring wear.

Last edited:

patpaty

500 RPM
Jul 21, 2004
subang jaya,usj
i wonder that dyno machine can do running compression test?? if not, then...??

"140psi is normal" is it for all tpye of engine??

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
that time just plonk in new heart... hehe...
straight after installation going to do this compression test...
my engine is from hokkaido... i worried the piston get frost there before transfer to malaysia... haha

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
hattech-v said:
that time just plonk in new heart... hehe...
straight after installation going to do this compression test...
my engine is from hokkaido... i worried the piston get frost there before transfer to malaysia... haha
Hmm.. I forgot mine came from where.. should check.. I don't think it's hokkaido though.

mrbear

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2005
how much it cost to do compression test? or anyone here got free time.. hehehehe.. i can belanja makan after finish do compression test

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Wah.. all naik gila want to find out the condition of their engine.. :P

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
its good to know the all 4 cylinder healthy or not... later go to dyno.. power very low then do further mods without knowing the compression loss fr any of the cylinder... then wasting money n time..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys..

i have a Honda eg 1992 with it stock engine...

i am thinking of changing the whole car to a new one

engine - a non turbo vtec or a tubo one? b16c..
front light
paint
rims

i an a noobie in car modification so if can plzz be specific..

all honda owners are welcome for their opinion...

if can u all can add a picture..thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience