Car shaking when engaging 1st gear

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
sounds like clutch chatter. Stock engine mounts loose?

Even if set up properly, racing clutch will have chatter. That's why race car use harder engine bushes. But most people here using semi racing or light single plates so car shaking is a bit extreme. Usually feel at pedal only, not entire car. .

The exedy single plate is quite streetable, so it would be extreme for the car to shake. try open the hood, see how the engine reacts when you release the clutch in first. If the engine rocks excessively in the mounts, you probably have one engine mounting loose/rosak. Even loose CV can make the car vibrate. If not. Some other problem, and probably problem with the clutch.

Other explanations already given by other forummers like improper install is also possible, but since you've never used racing clutch before, hard to say what kind of vibration is bad, and what is normal.

Personally, for road driven cars i'd rather go organic than full out race clutch, imo. Better clutch feel.

If using a new racing clutch, should always break it in first. If use second hand, dunno la. Sometimes the 2nd hand racing clutch I see already burnout, yet people still buy, lol.

Last edited:

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
Can you please elaborate what kind of shaking you are experiencing? Is it like jerking, like the clutch biting then whole car jerking in bursts? If so then I think its normal when new, should get better after you break it in.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
Can you please elaborate what kind of shaking you are experiencing? Is it like jerking, like the clutch biting then whole car jerking in bursts? If so then I think its normal when new, should get better after you break it in.
yeah mine is like that
when i engage a gear then the car is jerking rapidly in bursts :banghead:
but my clutch is about 1 year old :hmmm:

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
It should only occur when at the biting point. If its jerking when clutch is fully engaged then its definatelysomething wrong man..

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
It should only occur when at the biting point. If its jerking when clutch is fully engaged then its definatelysomething wrong man..
ok its like this the jerking gets worse as i release the clutch on low rpm
it goes away if i press down the clutch or rev the engine higher while the gear is engaged

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
ok its like this the jerking gets worse as i release the clutch on low rpm
it goes away if i press down the clutch or rev the engine higher while the gear is engaged

yeah me too.. vibration happens at the biting point of the clutch, happens very early.. and my clutch is about 3 months already and the car is daily driven.. g/box mounting also changed..

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
From what you discribed, sounds like it's the charecteristic of your racing clutch cos racing clutches are supposed to bite with more grip. It takes a bit of getting used to. You have to disengage a little faster in one smooth motion.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
From what you discribed, sounds like it's the charecteristic of your racing clutch cos racing clutches are supposed to bite with more grip. It takes a bit of getting used to. You have to disengage a little faster in one smooth motion.
this sounds about accurate coz this only happens in my first and second gears coz i release it pretty slowly then
but 3rd gear onwards quick shifting :biggrin:

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
this sounds about accurate coz this only happens in my first and second gears coz i release it pretty slowly then
but 3rd gear onwards quick shifting :biggrin:

do u experience the vibration while engine braking too? i get vibrations when i downshift from 4th to 3rd gear, and it happens at the clutch biting point just like when im upshifting..

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
frust wooo when driving smoothly, then wanna downshift n layan corner it vibrates! now must drive like old man :banghead:

E3newbie

Known Member
Aug 20, 2006
Thats why when driving hard and downshifting, the heel & toe technique should be applied for smooth down shifting. :driver:

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Thats why when driving hard and downshifting, the heel & toe technique should be applied for smooth down shifting. :driver:

hey E3newbie, i should be named newbie on this topic! hehe still cant brake smoothly with my toes, need more practice.. with the clutch problem, i have a reason to practice heel-toe on all the corners i see :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

currently i just bought my baby,,year 2003 honday CITY,,,
where can i get the full skirting for my ride?with the paint also,,
thanks,,
im from mlk,,now staying in pj ss2 area,,
any1 know mlk or pj area got any shop for all this stuff?

thanks thanks thanks,,,,, :lol: :lol:

HAVE A NICE DAY TO ALL OF U,,,,,
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience